U.S. of A.

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

U.S. of A.

Post by stonemaybe »

Hello everybody I'm Stonemaybe I don't think I've posted in here before :oops:

I've read the HP books a few times (every time a new one comes out I've read the series again beforehand), but I cannot recall a single reference to America. Well, one of the dragons might've been a SOUTH American one, was it?

That's a bit odd isn't it? Especially as JKR probably sold as many books there as she did in the rest of the world put together! Did she do it on purpose? Does the fact that USA is not mentioned (if I'm right), actually make the series more popular to American readers?
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Welcome Stonemaybe! Why do I suspect my mentioning this forum in the Where's Your House thread prompted your appearance? ;)

We are still unpacking from our move, so I don't have Beorn's copy of HP: GOF handy, but I am pretty sure there is a reference to a large banner over a camp site that says "Salem Witches Institute" with American witches under it at the Quidditch World Cup...

:::just FYI...

I didn't recall that. I asked Beorn if he could think of any references and he instantly pulled that one up off the top of his head.

sheesh:::
storm
Giantfriend

Post by storm »

The only other reference to the America's i can think of off hand is Bill's pen friend in Brazil that sent him a cursed hat.

Something else to think about is the "size" of Harry's world as well as the fact that we are seeing it through the eyes of a young man. We the reader didn't even learn about other wizarding schools until book 4. Many different countries that are prominent in the "world view" are absent from the book and the countries outside of Britain that are discussed are historically related to Witchcraft (Albania, Romania, Bulgaria). I don't think Jo was trying to slight any country, just that she's from the UK, her characters are from the UK and your average adolescent/teenager (boys at least) aren't all that up on the happenings of other nations.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

F.E.M.A. "Ferocious Educational Medical Aptitude" -Esmer

"Honestly; by the end of the Chronicles Lord Foul isn't going to be the Despiser anymore (we all knew he had to come to an end), however I find it vexing that the only reason is because he feels unworthy of the title and resigns to let Linden take his badge, Illearth Stone, and the keys to Linden's Creche."-Revan
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Nah!

Teenage kids over here just LOVE America! We get all the films, all the cool characters! A teenage Harry would've had at least a dozen American heroes!

I reckon JKR left out america completely so there was absolutely no chance she could offend any potential readership! Apart, of course, from the ch....

Oh, i'll just slink off back to the tank before i start rows......

Yes menolly you're right! i may re-appear later just to talk about the books.....

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

oops too many dots.....

Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

I thought I remembered America being mentioned in Goblet of Fire. Maybe Phoenix or Prince, but I think Goblet. It was only in passing, but this would be in addition to the reference mentioned above.
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

I do recall a reference to South America, but not specifically US of America, nor "north' America. (definately not Canada :lol: )
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

America is mentioned quite prominently in the HBP! JKR takes a none too veiled swat at Bush in chapter 1.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Well, it is about a British Boarding school, so why should it be littered with American references?

Harry having Muggle US heroes is completely independent of the Magical World knowledge of america he has. his Muggle American heroes would come from everyday life, his magical knowledge of america, would only come from his interaction in his magical life, which is primarily in school.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Well it's one of the reasons why I hope that she doesn't kill off Harry... so that other writers (with her approval of course :roll: ) can give an older Harry and his friends more adventures abroad. As she pointed out in GOF there are other wizarding schools in other countries. Thus a good way to expand the series.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”