TOTAL NIRVANA

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Lord Mhoram
Lord

TOTAL NIRVANA

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Yeah, you know you love them. In Utero has got to be one of the best rock albums ever. Nevermind's not half bad either. :wink: I have the privelege of owning a live Nirvana CD, and they rock even more then.

Favorite songs: Come As You Are, Milk It, Dumb, Been A Son, School
Last edited by Lord Mhoram on Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Heart-shaped Box, All Apologies
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

The acoustic version of Pennyroyal Tea is my favorite. Or their cover of the Meat Puppet's "Lake of Fire". Love Kurt's vocals on that one.

I'd say he's my third favorite lyricist with John Lennon second and Roger Waters first.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

dont get me started....

my faves:

Marigold, Love Buzz, Drain You, Plateau (cover i know), Sliver, All Apologies, Lithium and Lounge Act... the list goes on!

but i have to say, i hate milk it... it really gets up my nose...

and i really wish nirvana could have done a cover of soundgarden's Black Hole Sun... that would ahve fitted kurt like a glove... r.i.p
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Forestal wrote:and i really wish nirvana could have done a cover of soundgarden's Black Hole Sun... that would ahve fitted kurt like a glove... r.i.p
Amen!

This may sound crazy, but I'd like to take some songs like Black Hole Sun, Kashmir, and maybe some Pink Floyd stuff and go back and time and give it to the Beatles, heh. I'd just like to hear their versions of it. I think that'd rock.
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

most deffinatly, i can just imagine jimi hendrix blurring out a version of "Coz I Got High" lol... imagine the solo!! lol...
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Milk It happens to be my favorite Nirvana song of all time! Look on the bright side-suicide; lost eyesight, i'm on your side; angel left wing, right wing, broken wing; lack of iron and or sleeping
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

the version i have i cant understand a word he's singing... obviously one of his more heroin'd up gigs...

i'm sure if i could understand the words i'd love it LM :)

Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Yeah it is very hard to understand what Cobain's saying in that one. But if you look at the lyrics in the In Utero booklet you begin to understand what he's saying.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I've always liked their version of The Man Who Sold the World. It's even better than Cilla Black's effort.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

the electric version of The Man Who WOld The World is so much better than the acoustic version...

enough said :P

and as for reading the lyrics... i dont like doing that... it kinda takes something outta the song for me... call me weird if you want :P

Hellfire
Giantfriend

Post by Hellfire »

I liked Incesticide the best. Kiss Kiss Molly's Lips....... There's alot of stange fun songs on that one.
"Hellfire! Everybody in this whole business, you and everyone keep accusing me of being some sort of closet expert. I tell you, I don't know one damn thing about this unless someone explains it to me. I'm not your bloody Berek."
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

love mollys lips :)... very pop-punk, but i still like it ;)

Worm of Despite
Lord

Changed my mind about my favorite Nirvana song. It's now Lithium!
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I've been addicted to Bleach lately. What great stuff. Floyd the Barber, About a Girl, Love Buzz, etc., etc.
Theo
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Theo »

I didn't particularly like Nirvana back when it happened (I thought they were horribly overrated, which I still think they were back then), but some of their stuff has grown on me in later years. They did some pretty good pop songs, and I liked the Unplugged record - generally, I think they were better at doing acoustic pop tunes than noisy hard rock. (I love noisy hard rock, but there's a million bands that do it better than Nirvana. :p )

And generally, some (most?) of my favourites of "their" songs are in fact covers. I love "Molly's Lips" (just the same two chords all through the song - brilliant! :) ), "Son of a Gun", "Jesus Doesn't Want Me For a Sunbeam" and "Where Did You Sleep Last Night".

Theo
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

(who cares if its only 2 chords? it still sounds great :P)

Theo
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Theo »

Forestal wrote:(who cares if its only 2 chords? it still sounds great :P)
I said "brilliant", didn't I? :P
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Sorry, Theo, but Nirvana really wasn't a pop band. They were good at pop songs, yeah, but it was the real hard stuff that kicked ass and that is what they will be remembered for. In Utero is a masterpiece--now that is the hard album, not counting Bleach.
Theo
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Theo »

"Really"? This stuff is subjective, I only stated my personal opinion. And I stand by it: to my ears most of Nirvana's "hard stuff" sounds a bit generic, often forced and sometimes even boring. Their pop songs generally had more character. IMO. (On the other hand, even at their dullest, Nirvana were generally more fun than most other so-called "grunge" bands.)

Joy is in the ears that hear, and all that. :P

Return to “Vespers”