Lore vs. Science

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Quorin

Lore vs. Science

Post by Quorin »

It would have been interesting if, while anticipating a call from the Land, Covenant had kept some modern technology on him. A stun gun would have been interesting, as it seems that much of the Lords staffpower is electrically-based. Walkie-talkies would have been weird magic to the Lords, though the communication staffs were probably Lore-activated radiowave generators.

It seems the Lords used Lore to harness Earthpower just like Covenant's world uses Science.
lillianrill
Servant of the Land

Post by lillianrill »

I'm wondering why he didn't go out and buy himself a whole lot of white gold accessories.

White Gold Sword $1,100
Long Bow + White Gold Arrows $2,000
White Gold Armour $1,500

The look on Foul's Face......priceless...!

Then again bringing more white gold into the land might've broken the arc of time...i guess it still would've been cool to see what TC could've done with a white gold staff of law.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

LOL, Lillianrill. :)

I think science in the Land would have defeate the entire purpose of the Chronicles...it would be interesting to see what would happen though.

Post by Guest »

I do have to wonder about how much fun Foamy might have with my son's Game Boy Color (until the batteries die). Or could you imagine the wonder of having a laptop with a dvd drive and a stack of educational dvd's? You want to know more about my world, Lord? Just watch this! That would be FUN.
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

*LOL*

Those MasterCard adverts sure do have many purposes ;)
Hile Troy
Woodhelvennin

Post by Hile Troy »

LOL Lillianrill!

However, in all seriousness, Thomas Covenant or another earthborn human never knew when they would be taken. And plus, only what was on their immediate being at that moment of transference remained with them as they joined the Land. But interesting and humorous thought nonetheless!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

:LOLS: be good if he took a mini gun with him, hellfire come get me now foul
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

I've been thinking what would happen to the plot if I were taken to the Land. I happen to like white gold and have done so long before I even heard that Donaldson existed.

I wear 24/7:
- a white gold ring
- a white gold pendant
- a white gold chain for the pendant
- two Silver Rings of Donaldson Character Confusion (+2)

Imagine the confusion of several factions all wielding white gold items... Although, I don't know if a wieldable white gold item is required to be shaped in the form of a circle or a gyre or if it only enhances or focuses its power. My white gold ring is not circular so it wouldn't have any circle advantage over the others.

In the Land, a Swiss army knife would surely be helpful. In the larger direction, one should attempt to determine if shackling oneself to the door of a building when a call to the Land was expected would be considered wearing the building. That way many nice things could be transported to the Land relatively effectively without ever moving them from one's closet. In particular someone should attempt this trick with a full-blown army base with the ability to generate its own power.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

It's a nice idea, but I rather suspect that whatever event took TC back to the Land would separate him from his newly acquired toys. That said, I'm surprised he didn't try it, it's not as though he didn't have the money.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

It is a rather hilarious image to picture him running from one blacksmith and jeweler to another.
"Do you have any white gold?"
"Not in stock, sir, but we can order something for you."
"Hellfire! Hell and blood! ... How long will it take?"

As for the serious aspect, Covenant would only have done that if he believed that the Land was real. And if he did, he would have fought the belief, and resisted the urge to buy more white gold.

But it seems to me that any amount of white gold could release the seemingly infinite power of the wild magic. So having two items of infinite power is not better than one. Although Covenant didn't know that at first, and having more white gold might have given him confidence, and allowed him to use it at will.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Well, SRD already played with the idea of bringing "guns" into a fantasy realm. In The Mirror Of Her Dreams, it was the intent of the Congerers of Mordant to summon a champion for their world. This champion they had in mind was a Terminator-like one-man killing machine, who was loaded with some serious hardware. Clearly a guy from a "sci-fi" world. I thought it was so cool of SRD to bring technology and magic together in a story like that.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

:x "Get me off this god-rotting hellhole!"-Darsint :D
fall far and well Pilots!

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”