The Healer

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

The Healer

Post by Fist and Faith »

Anybody else <I>love</I> this woman? She amazed me. She "surrendered to the secret power yearning for birth within her," and took the Rites of Unfettering. She came to regret that decision, because of the pain this power forced her to endure. She ended up living as a hermit for four or five decades because she couldn't take it any longer.

And then, WAY past her prime, an old woman, Morinmoss leads her to Covenant. She knows how unimaginably difficult it will be. Even if she still had assistants to give her food & drink, etc. And she even knows how bad it is, that it will kill her.

But, though she doesn't know any details at all, she knows that Foul is at work again, and that this stranger she is expected to save has white gold. So she knowingly sacrifices herself, in extreme pain and fear, for a world of strangers who are in unknown danger, knowing that nobody will even know of her sacrifice.

To quote Foamfollower, "Your bravery - Stone and Sea! It astounds me."
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Serpreme

Post by Serpreme »

ISnt she in that forest that wasnt effected by the winter?
If so i also think the forest protector guy had a hand in the summoning of her =)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I think all of the Unfettered were amazing to one degree or another. i'd love to read an extra novella on any of them.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

The Unfettered would be an interesting story. The most amazing Unfettered One to me is the one that Triock seeks for help. How old was he? He knew Mhoram's mother before she was a Lord? And knew the history of the Land from reading stone.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I think that the unfettered ones were just ugly people. think about it for a sec, when you bacome an unfettered, you become what is similar to a priest (like no marriage, no friends, no sex, basically no life). So they became the unfettered because none liked them, and it was an excuse just in case some one asks them, "Are you married?", "No". "Why not? Can't you even get laid?". "I am an unfettered one".
fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

re

Post by fightingmyinstincts »

I alwayss wanted to write her story...maybe if I do I can post it here at the watch or has it been done? She fascinates me too. I might have to be Unfettered. I think it sounds fun. *@ First Mark TUvor* THBBBBBBBBBBBPPPPPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!! :P
I'm sure they weren't ALL ugly :lol:
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."
TC to Bannor, LFB
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Indeed, Tuvor, I think that there was probably a lot more to their decisions to become Unfettered than possible physical unattractiveness! :|
The Earthpower spoke to these people in a very strong way that they could not refuse, IMHO.
Love as thou wilt.

amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

in our world maybe we'd call them paranormal people
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

bump :)
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Tuvor - roflmao!! LOL

not that it could possibly be true of our resident unfettered one .. afterall he is hooked up with an amazing haruchai .. and has offspring ;) and pretty cute offspring to boot ;)

LOL .. but as a general rule of thumb LMAO!!!

oh and yeah .. she was great .. A story of an unfettered one/forestaal .. would be excellent!!
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

I'm hoping we find out alot more about the Unfettered in the Last Chrons. I always wanted more of them. :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I also saw the healer as being knid of sad, sort of in a gently regretful way. It's as if it's all she can do to maintain the small strength she has left. Like she mentions, i guess she just used all her strength up. Yet like Fist says, she still found it within herself to do her part to save a world that she wasnt really a part of anymore.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

I have never understood the Healer myself, but I do wonder if the rites of unfettering also freed them from the Oath of Peace and if the only reason they were not more powerful was that no unfettered ever bothered to study Kevin's Lore.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

They sure are a mystery. That is why I hope we learn more of them in the Last Chrons. So solitary, so intent on serving the Land. If there was one thing that disappointed me a bout the Illearth War is that we never got to actually "listen in" when that Unfettered One told Covenant that he dreamed the "truth". I would have loved to hear that conversation.
And I believe in you
I will remember you

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

I do not consider the unfettered to be focused on serving the Land. The whole point of unfettering was that they wanted to pursue some other agenda and chose to not serve the Land as Lords.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

My understanding of the Unfettered was that they chose to serve the Land freely, not devoting themselves to either Sword or Staff. But rather alone, like the Unfettered in Andelain, he served by being one with the animals and the Wraiths. The Healer chose healing, of the Land and people, tho she turned away from the people. The One who chose dreams, hmmm, he's a mystery. I wish I knew more about him. Each tho, served the Land in their own way. Serving the Land does not necessarily mean serving it's people. A good example of this is the Unfettered One that Triock went to see. He felt a failure to the Land because he could not read the stone.

That's just how I see them. :)
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Good point Furls. Atiaran talks about how the Rites of Unfettering release those who take them to follow their own private vision, so whatever it is that drives the Unfettered, it is private, probably not easily understood or accepted by others, and quite possibly very powerful since its call overpowered the call of Kevin's Lore.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

As I see it, they don't have all that much say in it. There is a power calling out to them, demanding that they give up everything and explore/develop the power. (Even though they may come to regret it.)

Beyond that, the ones we've met seem to feel at least some sense of duty to good and health and life. The Healer and the one in Andelain knowingly sacrificed themselves for Covenant. The Dreamreader didn't refuse the Lords' requests. The Rockreader was cooperating. Whatever sanity they are left with after answering their calling seems to love the Land.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

Fist and Faith wrote:As I see it, they don't have all that much say in it. There is a power calling out to them, demanding that they give up everything and explore/develop the power. (Even though they may come to regret it.)
It's similar to a priest or nun responding to their higher calling only on a more private, darker, much grander scale. The Unfettered are not simply following an inner voice to serve a god, they are compelled by something inside them to harness a talent unfathomable to ordinary people. Unlike others in the Land who possess special powers, the Unfettered force themselves to become so attuned to their power that they care for virtually nothing else. It's like a transformation. At some point the Unfettered lose most of their humanity to "become" their power.

The talent/power hidden inside of the Unfettered is too big for the typical mental constraints of humans. I get the impression that they must purge themselves of their humanity so that they can satisfy the power that's within. The Unfettered must accomplish this or suffer some serious consequence (insanity, extreme failure, death?)
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

OK everyone, help me out here - re-read "The Healer" in TPTP last night, and it's very clear that the Healer has a real fire in her cave. SRD describes her woodpile and even notes that the wood was dry. Even stranger is that there is a real wood fire in Morinmoss. Seems to me to be very strange, although SRD hints at real fires in other places.

In TWL, when TC and LA encounter Nassic, TC is mortified by the presence of burning wood in Nassic's home.

Is there an inconsistency here, or am I mis-reading the text?

Thanks.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”