Star Trek: Worst to First.

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

aTOMiC
Lord

Star Trek: Worst to First.

Post by aTOMiC »

Each time a new Star Trek film is released I am forced to revise my order of preference. I have heard many differing opinions about some of the best and some of the worst. I'm wondering how the whole lot shakes down in order of worst to first.
Here is my 2 bit opinion:
10. Star Trek V: Insulting on a scale that baffles me even now.
Defining moment: Scotty cracking his skull on the bulkhead was the last straw.
9. Star Trek IX: Not intentionally bad. I just didn't care.
Defining moment: zzzzzzzzzzzzz
8. Star Trek VII: Uncomfortable changing of the guard.
Defining moment: Enterpise D crash was spectacular. Kirk being crushed like a bug instead of going out in a blaze of glory, simply terrible.
7. Star Trek III: A bit clumsy. Not terrible. Spock returns at what cost?
Defining moment: Christopher Lloyd's Klingon Commander was great. "I have had enough of you!" First actual self destruct of the Enterprise.
6. Star Trek I: Not a great film. Uninteresting but it was the return of Star Trek. Wahoo.
Defining moment: Klingon Battlecrusiers fighting V'ger. Pretty cool at the time.
5. Star Trek X: Nemesis should have been much more but just wasn't.
Defining moment: Hmmmm...
4. Star Trek VI: Pretty adequate send off for the original cast. Nicolas Meyer knows how to make a film that has the original spirit.
Defining moment: Spocks forceable mind meld very creepy and effective.
3. Star Trek IV: A can't miss formula of time travel and main stream appeal.
Defining moment: "Admiral, there be whales here!"
2. Star Trek VIII: Best of the Next Generation. Borg, Time travel & Fun.
Defining moment: Enterprise E charging into the fray against the Borg cube. Kick butt!
1. Star Trek II: Just Star Trek at its most authentic best. Just about perfect.
Defining moment: "Khan you blood sucker." "You've managed to kill just about everyone else but like a poor marksman you keep missing the target!"

:lol: :D :lol: :D
Last edited by aTOMiC on Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

clearfrontier wrote:2. Star Trek IIX
Is that the same movie as Star Trek VIII? ;) :)

I think I'm the only person in the quadrant (that's Trek humor, folks) who doesn't like that damned whale movie. They had this amazing probe-thingy in the beginning, and it turns out that it was only there so they could make an environmental statement. I'm annoyed that we didn't get to learn where the probe was from. But, since those whales can't live all that long, and one breeding pair isn't likely to repopulate the oceans again for any length of time, I imagine the probe will be back soon enough. Maybe we'll learn more about it then.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

I loved the whale one :) Spock was hilarious in that one. "double dumb ass on you and so forth" "the hell I can't"

then McCoy and Scottie looking for that plexiglass stuff. "Don't lose yourself in the part." Scottie picking up the mouse on the computer.

"Hello, computer."
"just use the keyboard."
"keyboard, how quaint."

"Gracie's pregnant."
"How do you know that? no one knows that."
"Gracie does."

hehehe :lol: :lol: :lol:

And "First Contact" was my fav of them all.

Riker: "Tough little ship"
Worf: "Little?"

"Assimilate this."

You know what tho, something has always bothered me about one part in that movie. Remember how the Borg had completely altered Enterprise E by main engineering? Turning it into the likeness of a borg cube. Data gets hauled into engineering thru that door. Okay, later on, after the Enterprise had been evacuated for the self destruct, Picard stays behind to rescue Data...he goes to Engineering. and Lo and Behold...the Enterprise is back as it should be in that section. No Borg around anywhere outside that door. How did that happen??? Movie blunder :?
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Fist and Faith wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I shouldn't try to create these things with one eye on monday night football. :lol:

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Furls Fire wrote:I loved the whale one :) Spock was hilarious in that one. "double dumb ass on you and so forth" "the hell I can't"

then McCoy and Scottie looking for that plexiglass stuff. "Don't lose yourself in the part." Scottie picking up the mouse on the computer.

"Hello, computer."
"just use the keyboard."
"keyboard, how quaint."

"Gracie's pregnant."
"How do you know that? no one knows that."
"Gracie does."

hehehe :lol: :lol: :lol:

And "First Contact" was my fav of them all.

Riker: "Tough little ship"
Worf: "Little?"

"Assimilate this."

You know what tho, something has always bothered me about one part in that movie. Remember how the Borg had completely altered Enterprise E by main engineering? Turning it into the likeness of a borg cube. Data gets hauled into engineering thru that door. Okay, later on, after the Enterprise had been evacuated for the self destruct, Picard stays behind to rescue Data...he goes to Engineering. and Lo and Behold...the Enterprise is back as it should be in that section. No Borg around anywhere outside that door. How did that happen??? Movie blunder :?
First Contact is one my favorite films of any kind. I enjoyed the dialogue as well. The door to engineering. I'm not certain but I imagine the outer door itself was un altered by the Borg. I'd have to review the film again to be sure.

Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

I also (I think I have stated this before, but I am not sure) find First Contact the best of the ST movies. I just love when dear, beloved characters make fun of themselves, and the movie still manages to be resonable serious as well. And the borg. Any movie including the Borg cannot get low ratings.
Borg? Sounds Swedish...
Uhu - definitely not Swedish.
:lol:
Greetings!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
SLATFATF...
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

In Norwegian "borg" means castle.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

In swedish too. I think they refer to Björn Borg (Swedish tennis player in the late 70ies)...
SLATFATF...
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Ryzel wrote:In Norwegian "borg" means castle.
That doesn't suprise me considering the shape of their ships. :D

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Fist and Faith wrote:

I think I'm the only person in the quadrant (that's Trek humor, folks) who doesn't like that damned whale movie. .
lol .. not the only one ;) I didnt like the whale one either :( ;)
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

and i loved VIII with the borg .. the borg are the best race of ..... aliens ever!!
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Skyweir wrote: lol .. not the only one ;) I didnt like the whale one either :( ;)
I can't believe what I'm reading. My favorite movie moment in all of film history is a scene from "The Voyage Home." If you recall, when Kirk has been driven back to Golden Gate Park, he gets out of Gillian’s truck with the pizza box from the dinner they had aborted when Kirk learns that the whales are being set free. Kirk stands by the truck door and is engaged in dialog with Gillian while holding the pizza box nearly vertically. By all rights he should have had pizza spilling out all over the front of his clothes. I remember sitting in the theater back in 1986 and laughing out loud. :lol: :D :lol: :wink:

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Funny thing to see, for sure! :D But I've had PLENTY of pizzas that wouldn't have dripped out of the box. So bad, in fact, that the cheese would have stayed in place! Find me a good pizza, and we'll have something to talk about!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

LOL :lol:

and .. lols .. that was your favourite scene??? LOL .. mmm .. ok so why is it you cant believe what you're reading?? LOLS :LOLS: :lol: ;)
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I agree fairly closely with your rankings, clearfrontier. I rank "Undiscovered Country" up a little higher, and "Nemesis" lower.

Anyone heard how well "Nemesis" did at the box office? Did it make money or lose money? Will there be another movie made?

It seems to me that "Star Trek" is pretty much played out.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

dlbpharmd wrote:I agree fairly closely with your rankings, clearfrontier. I rank "Undiscovered Country" up a little higher, and "Nemesis" lower.

Anyone heard how well "Nemesis" did at the box office? Did it make money or lose money? Will there be another movie made?

It seems to me that "Star Trek" is pretty much played out.
Nemesis pulled down about 43 million domesticly. Not real good. After figuring the draw in europe and video sales, I'd have to imagine the film at least broke even. I do not think there will be another film featuring the STNG cast. It may be quite a few years before they try another film of any kind.

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

They could have done so much better with that story line - imagine if Leonard Nimoy could've been persuaded to come back as Spock, with the Romulans and Vulcans reuniting in peace. That would've been an awesome story. Instead we get this really wierd and totally ludicrous clone of Picard. What hogwash.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I heard a couple of BIG events happened in Nemesis. A wedding and a death. But other than that, I haven't heard anything interesting about it. All in all, I imagine the comic character of the same name is more interesting.

BUT, I watched Enterprise last night. The Vulcan woman, whatever her name is, First Officer, was topless. Being prime-time, they didn't actually show frontal nudity. But side-view was rather surprising (and pleasant, from my view :) ), and front view was her covering with her hands. Are they getting REAL hard up for viewers??? Sheesh!! 7 of 9 was, imo, the best part of Voyager by far. Unfortunately, some viewers never noticed how well she acted, nor her unique role, because they couldn't get past her cat-suit. How much more difficult will this kind of thing be to get past if it becomes regular???
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
californiababy
Stonedownor

Post by californiababy »

Wrath of Khan was by the far the best of all the movies. 8)
I'd rather be in California...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Well, considering Blalock (T'Pol) was, uh, shall we say, standing at attention in the first episode, that doesn't really surprise me. When it first debuted, we were calling it Nippleprise in the 'Scaper community. Not unsurprisingly, she is just about the only capable actor and character on the whole show, if you ask me. Not enough to get me to watch it, though.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”