My Command would be...

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

much better :)

i'll make a geologist of you yet landwaster :P

*failed geography...:?*
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

*strut*

I like the concept though. Shame on F&F for putting facts in the story :D
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Fist and Faith wrote:When it was created, the Colossus was placed at the edge, to keep the Ravers out of the Upper Land. This happened long before the RoD.
Curses that I don't have my own computer to put a quote but Colossus had other purposes besides preventing Ravers, In the One Tree Findall gives the story of the Appointed One that was made to the Colossus and it was to (as I read it) give the forests the ability to defend itself. However the process was too slow as to create enough Forestalls to help. But by the time TC comes to the land the forests are strong enough to warrant fear.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Lord Luof
Servant of the Land

Nevertheless

Post by Lord Luof »

Fist and Faith wrote:When it was created, the Colossus was placed at the edge, to keep the Ravers out of the Upper Land. This happened long before the RoD.
Still, some of what I guess at could be true. The illearth stone could have been made during the RoD. Also, despite the one forest, Mount Thunder stands above it riding Landsdrop. Mount Thunder is a volcano. At any rate, during the time of the one forest when Elohim were making legends, they knew of a great fire of awesome power in the farthest north which threatened to crack the world. This could have been caused by Lord Foul’s initial release, his first birth into physical presence, his own RoD, maybe he was the waking of the worm. At any rate, my guess is Landsdrop & Lord Foul are the same, a scar across the land, and that he caused it somehow. It’s just too obvious. This isn’t a river dividing the land. And to the east of it are quagmires, marshes, hotash slay, the shattered hills, saragrave flat, defile’s course, everything unhealthy divided from the rest of the land by Landsdrop. It’s just too obvious.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Here you go, Seafoam:
"But a hate rose against the forest, seeking its destruction. And this was dire, for a tree may know love and feel pain and cry out, but has few means of defense. The knowledge was lacking. Therefore we met, and from among us Appointed one to give her life to that forest. This she did by merging among the trees until they gained the knowledge they required. Their knowledge they employed to bind her in stone, exercising her name and being to form an interdict against that hate. Thus was she lost to herself and to her people-but the interdict remained while the will of the forest remained to hold it."

"The Colossus," Covenant breathed. "The Colossus of the Fall."

"Yes," Findail said.

"And when people started coming to the Land, started cutting down the trees as if they were just so much timber and difficulty, the forest used what it'd learned to create the Forestals in self-defense. Only it took too long, and there were too many people, and the Forestals weren't enough, they couldn't be everywhere at once, couldn't stop the many blind or cruel or simply unscrupulous axes and fires. They were lucky to keep the mind of the forest awake as long as they did."

"Yes." Findail said again.
Then there's Mhoram's"
"But it was not Despite which the Colossus resisted," Mhoram resumed when his song was done. "Despite was the bane of men. It came with them into the Land from the cold anguish of the north, and from the hungry kingdom of the south. No, the Colossus of the Fall forbade another foe - three tree- and soil-hating brothers who were old in the Spoiled Plains before Lord Foul first cast his shadow there. They were triplets, the spawn of one birth from the womb of their long-forgotten mother, and their names were samadhi, moksha, and turiya. They hated the Earth and all its growing things, just as Lord Foul hates all life and love. When the Colossus eased its interdict, they came to the Upper Land, and in their lust for revenge and dismay fell swiftly under the mastery of the Despiser. From that time, they have been his highest servants...
There's no mention in either of the Colossus doing anything, or having any purpose, other than keeping the Ravers out. The One Forest used the knowledge it got from the Appointed to create the Colossus and to create the Forestals.

Luof, you could certainly be onto something. Nothing to contradict a lot of what you're saying. And you'd think it would have to be something big that they needed Kastenessen for.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

that 1st quote it another of my favorites... the 1st time i read it, it just blew me away... even though i already knew by that point... well, i'd guessed.. but the force of it is still overwhelming...

it still sends a shiver down my spine when i read it now...

what happened to kastenessen again? i cant remember...
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

another bump for Borillar :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”