Harry Potter petition

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I agree. You can stick a fork in this series -- it's done.

MagickMaker is the original HP fan in our house (her 5th grade teacher read it aloud to the class -- afterward she got *really* sick of the boys running around and saying, "Shan't say nothing if you don't say please!"), and book #2 is her least favorite.

I'm pretty much anti-hype myself. Don't watch TV, don't listen to popular music, have no interest in movies where stuff blows up real good, etc. I get a pretty good lip-curl going for most over-hyped stuff. But the marketers jumped on the HP bandwagon relatively late. The fansites, the dressing-up-like-Harry, the overwhelming popularity of the books -- that stuff all started at the grassroots, if you will. Bloomsbury and Scholastic had no idea, when they released the first HP book, that it would become as big as it has. The marketing budget really came pretty late in the game.

Anyway, it's particularly bad this year because the movie and the book came out just a week apart. When I first saw that, I knew that July would be HP Overkill Month....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

aliantha wrote:Anyway, it's particularly bad this year because the movie and the book came out just a week apart. When I first saw that, I knew that July would be HP Overkill Month....
*nod*

Which is why I was made mod of this forum so quickly after dlb nominated me. We figured it would be jump started with these two events this month...
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

These comments are good to hear (I'm only up to page 200 of DH). Prior to the book's release, many were lamenting about hwo the series could and should continue despite JKR saying it didn't need to, because all would be said and done.

The best of any series (Book, Movie, TV) are those that have a planned beginning, middle and end, and don't try to stray from it.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

sindatur wrote:These comments are good to hear (I'm only up to page 200 of DH). Prior to the book's release, many were lamenting about hwo the series could and should continue despite JKR saying it didn't need to, because all would be said and done.
Well it didn't stop anyone from writing between episodes of Star Wars and Star Trek and after episode novels... so it's not going to stop me to write between the end of DH and the Epilogue. I mean fer cryin' outloud does Jo want to HOG all the success? Flippin richest woman in the world now (probably more so with the end of the series and then two more movies left-over to do...).
Spoiler
19 years leaves a hellva gap where all sorts of stuff can happen. Plus there's the kids.
There, that better... sorry about that.
Last edited by Seafoam Understone on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Careful of details on the book there Seafoam, this isn't a spoiler thread, and I'm still reading the book.

She's never had an issue with Fan Fiction, it's new "canon" books she wants not to be written.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Seafoam (and everyone else), I realize my last post reads a little aggressive, it wasn't meant to. I realize I'm being anal, just trying to follow Menolly's request of keeping spoilers confined and "Spoilered"

Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

sindatur wrote:Seafoam (and everyone else), I realize my last post reads a little aggressive, it wasn't meant to. I realize I'm being anal, just trying to follow Menolly's request of keeping spoilers confined and "Spoilered"
No worries mate, you reminded me and that was a good thing. I took it as a little heads up and asked if that was better? Wasn't being snide.

You did fine. We're fine...

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Seafoam Understone wrote:
sindatur wrote:Seafoam (and everyone else), I realize my last post reads a little aggressive, it wasn't meant to. I realize I'm being anal, just trying to follow Menolly's request of keeping spoilers confined and "Spoilered"
No worries mate, you reminded me and that was a good thing. I took it as a little heads up and asked if that was better? Wasn't being snide.

You did fine. We're fine...
Duh, :oops: I didn't even notice you had changed your post. I read my post several hours later, and realized it sounded harsher then I meant it to, so, I figured I needed to lighten up the tone. Yea much better
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Spoiler
Seafoam, just write me a fabulous story about Dolores Umbridge getting what she so richly deserves and I will love you forever.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Cameraman Jenn wrote:
Spoiler
Seafoam, just write me a fabulous story about Dolores Umbridge getting what she so richly deserves and I will love you forever.
No problem... I think I can include that woman falling down a deep dark pit somewhere along the way... :twisted:

emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

Spoiler
I'm waiting on the flood of new Lily/Severus, uh, 'fan-fiction.'
B&

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”