Haruchai Telepathy?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

balon!
Lord

Haruchai Telepathy?

Post by balon! »

White Gold Wielder
Until the previos night, when Brinn had left the quest to take on his role as ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol, Cail had never been alone in his chosen duty; and the mental interconnection of his people had kept him aware of what took place around him. But now he was alone.
Does this quote show how the Haruchai know what happens to each and thus their inability to tell stories with much detail, because there kin already know?
Last edited by balon! on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

no, the haruchai were capable of telling stories, as w're shown by tull in the 1st crons, and by cail in the 2nd crons. remember the haruchai tell the unbeliever that the haruchai are testing themselves because of the ak-haru... they could not have known this if cail had not told the story of it...

haruchai are not unable, just unwilling... when they tell their kin, they understand because they all think similarly, because of the psychic link... when they tell others, they are not psychically connected, so they understand things differently.

for example when cail is tested, covenant doesn't understand, but the haruchai have already decided apon it.. we all think differently, the haruchai think its fine, covenant thinks it unnessissary.
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I dunno. Although it's been years since i read Gildenfire, I seem to remember that when the haruchai spoke to each other, SRD had their dialogue in italics. I had always thought that thjis suggested some sort of unspoken communication.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

The speak with little or no inflection which I think is indicative of their ability and comfort with transmitting messages directly mind2mind.

If you could hear what they were thinking as well as what they were saying you'd get all the gossip and possibly a lot more profanity.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I don't know if I can imagine Bannor thinking that he's sick of looking after this *@&%$#!!!

:?

Sum sui generis
Vs

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Maybe not, but spoken word by the Haruchai is probably almost like taking notes shorthand for us.

Extra questions : did the haruchair have this skill, or was it only the Bloodguard? Was it vowborne?

Also, the Bloodguard/haruchai spoke as thought the language was alien to them (eg, making effort to find the words, and probably having an accent). I usually assumed duh, they're another people from another country ... but maybe its because they almost never spoke out loud at all, back in Haruland.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Landwaster wrote:Also, the Bloodguard/haruchai spoke as thought the language was alien to them (eg, making effort to find the words, and probably having an accent). I usually assumed duh, they're another people from another country ... but maybe its because they almost never spoke out loud at all, back in Haruland.
Good point. i never thought of that. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

(I'm quite proud of it, actually)

But think of their mountain villages, then. Basically no audible speech. As a tourist, I'd feel like I was visiting the Village of the Damned.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I wonder how difficult it was for them to learn to speak out loud? Could they do it, but just chose not to? Or did they have to learn how?

Sum sui generis
Vs

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Well considering they had the capability (they had mouths and vocal chords and were able to communicate audibly when they met the Lords), I honestly presume they did speak, but it just wasn't nearly as integral a part of their lifestyle as it is for other folks.

Surely considering they had the physical ability to speak, then they wouldhave enunciated cries of pain when they stood on a sharp rock and so on ... they must have found some usage for the ability.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

What about whrn they talked to there women. Did they possess this gift?
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Can' see why they wouldn't.

Sum sui generis
Vs

hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Darth Revan - you are reformed, you have returned in another form, anyone who is observant will learn your true identity.

Whats that about haruchai women?
jehannum_2000
Stonedownor

Aha, I spy a fellow countryman!

Post by jehannum_2000 »

And a Brummie to boot!

In which part of our esteemed city do you live?

Do you know Great Barr at all?

Pete.
Lord Luof
Servant of the Land

Telepathy

Post by Lord Luof »

Well this is a very interesting question.
I would suggest that they did have something, not exactly telepathy. These men were not like the Lords.

Nevertheless, and I mean that, never the less, because they were potent, they had something of a way to communicate among the entire bloodguard. When Banner was pushed to the brink from Thomas Covenant as he made the bloodguard speak the name of the seventh ward's hidden power, they all felt that deciet once Elena called Kevin from the dead. This was exponentially exasperated when Korik returned with the fragment of the illearth stone. They all expired their vow simultaneously, all at once, and it was over.

Sarah sort of sees it, and we all do, in a state of love gone wrong. I always believed that the Harachi performed their original vow out of love for the lords of old & then they lost all emotion.
Sarah McLachlin: Stupid
"How stupid could I be?
A simplton could see
That your no good for me
But you're the only one I see"
Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

I think the talking in italics is just emphasising that they use their own native language, not that they have supernatural powers. On the contrary, I think they have very natural Powers.. I believe that they are very sensitive to small shifts in posture/mimics and seemingly unaware movements, thereby "reading" their own people easily.

Example: TIW, Knowledge.
Slowly, Bannor turned toward the First Mark. They regarded each other in silence for a long moment. Then Morin faced the High Lord with a magisterial look in his eyes. "High Lord", he said, "we do not know the name of the Seventh Ward´s power"...
To read their own people with such high precision might have made what we call expressing strong emotion unnecessary, therefore their seemingly cold expressions. It might also have made it hard for them to read people that were not Haruchai...?
SLATFATF...
jehannum_2000
Stonedownor

Post by jehannum_2000 »

Have you ever read books called The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant?

In it there is a group of people called the Bloodguard who undoubtedly possess the supernatural, telepathic, and verbal ability to communicate with each other.

This ability is not confined to the Bloodguard, but is shared by all of the Haruchai.

Remember the 2nd Chrons, in Revelstone, when Brinn speaks to Covenant?

'Covenant had never heard the mind-speech of the Haruchai before.'

They're not just good at body language! They're not just 'in touch' with each other's emotions, like a group of gay men that know each other's thoughts.

Peter.
Svlad Cjelli
Servant of the Land

Post by Svlad Cjelli »

First Post. Glad I found you.

Don't you think that would've made it extremely difficult to settle disputes amongst themselves. Or are we talking about the ability to transmit, but not poll? When they are at the One Tree and the Haruchai fights the Guardian Haruchai (sorry I forgot both their names :? ) why wouldn't everything just come to a stand still?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

jehannum! You're mean!!!
fall far and well Pilots!
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Seriously Jehannum whats the point in that, come on.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”