HP: OotP Movie

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Dunno. I saw it yesterday with my girlfriend of exactly one year now (celebrating our one year anniversary). She hadn't read the books, and had some problem following a lot of what happened. It seemed to me that so much was done for those that read the books that didn't seem to make so much sense to those who hadn't. I was a little frustrated with it, mainly because the bits that should have been big scenes were lacking a lot of gravity. Thus far, I felt it was the weakest of the films.
Spoiler
The big scene in the Ministry was lacking a lot. Yeah, they didn't want to bother showing all the different rooms; that's fine. But I imagined heaps of spells shooting all around, and they made it down to just little explosions on the walls at times. I wanted a lot of green lights shooting around. The scene in the book was crazy, but the scene in the movie was so dumbed down. It was creepy with all the folks zipping around in cloudy vapors, but that wasn't what was so creepy about that scene. It was the pure chaos, and how badly it seemed they had gotten over their heads. Very disappointed with that scene. Loved Umbridge though.
I have to say that seeing the movie after starting the last book, and getting a little ways in made me tear up a bit. It made me sad that I was about to know the fates of all these characters. But it made me feel all the more like I should be home reading.
Spoiler
I liked the opening shot - just beautiful. And having the dementor attack in an inclosed space instead of in the street...very effective.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I thought it was great. My lover doesn't know the story outside of the movies and he had no problem following the movie.

I thought they did a great job, considering how little time for how much book there was. Sure there were things I wish would've been included, but, I don't think they could've done much better. Tonks, Luna, and Umbridge were all awesomely portrayed.

Minor Deathly Hallows spoiler from first few chapters, no details or names.
Spoiler
I too, found myself tearing up over the first 80 pages of DH while watching the beginning of OotP
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Murrin wrote:Did anyone else notice the goat? Nice to see they're including little hints like that in the films.
Menolly wrote:In the Hog's Head? But of course!
Oh!
Spoiler
No wonder Jo said it was uncanny about certain scenes in the movie being put in before she finished writing DH!!!
*200 pages to go*
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Ya know, it really sucks when you wait a while for the furor to die down and decide to go watch the movie and happily find out that you are only 1 of 7 people in the theater (cuts down on the cheering and laughter and idiots yelling out spoilers and all that...) then half way through (the scene where Snapes is starting to teach Harry about Occulmency... and the picture dies the house lights go up and about 1 minute later a theater employee rushes in and apologizes but the theater complex has a brown out...

Oh sure I'm given a "free-pass" to come back but geeezzz maaannn!
Just getting into being interesting and all of that.. and BAM movie dies... Sheesh!

Hopefully it'll still be playing next week when I have free enough time to go back ...

enough to piss off the pope I tell ya!
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Oh Seafoam, that royally sux!!!

It better still be playing next week. Beorn will have my head if he comes home from camp and missed it in the theater. It was released the day we brought him to camp, so he hasn't seen it yet (nor read the book, as far as I know)...
Last edited by Menolly on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

That sucks, I woulda freaked
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Seafoam, I was in the theater watching "Return of the King" and about two thirds of the way through some jackass decides it would be funny to pull the fire alarm. The choices were to stay and have no idea when we would be allowed back in the theater or take a raincheck at the outdoor across the street ghetto handwritten booth. The raincheck line for all movies interrupted was so huge by the time we got to it that I just left. I paid again to see it a few days later. Talk about sucky. I did manage to upgrade us all to IMAX for the second attempt at seeing it. Theaterus Interruptus is a horrible thing. I feel your pain....ALOT. I also know I posted somewhere in this forum that I went for a second showing Monday night and loved it again and that Bonnie Wright has a unique ability to express a myriad of emotion in a simple look. That girl is going places, seriously. Well, I might have posted in flicks...not sure. Anyway, I loved it. Menolly, it's prolly gonna keep another week or two.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:I also know I posted somewhere in this forum that I went for a second showing Monday night and loved it again and that Bonnie Wright has a unique ability to express a myriad of emotion in a simple look. That girl is going places, seriously. Well, I might have posted in flicks...not sure. Anyway, I loved it.
It was in Flicks. I remember being surprised you didn't double post. What you posted there regarding the looks Ginny throws in the background was very insightful.
bloodguard bob
Bloodguard

Post by bloodguard bob »

Ok, I've seen OotP twice in the theatre now. I came home from the movie the other night and was still jonesin' for more HP so I did it.
Yep.
I picked up The Sorcerer's Stone and hardly put it down till it was finished.
I'll be starting CoS in a few minutes.
I've seen all the movies several times each but never thought I'd read the books.
"...and if you do not listen, then to hell with you."
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Welcome to the forum, BGB!!!

You are ours now!!!

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

:borg: :borg: We have assimilated him. We shall now call him One of Seven since he has only read the first book.... :P
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

:spew:
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

I watched a crappy cam copy. I could not see half of what was going on. Also, very disturbed by the girl who played Luna.

*shudder*
B&
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Emotional Leper wrote:I watched a crappy cam copy. I could not see half of what was going on. Also, very disturbed by the girl who played Luna.

*shudder*
I paid at the theatre, but, I too have a copy that cuts off the top and sides of the movie to tide me over until the official DVD comes out.

I loved Luna's portrayal. She, Umbridge, and Tonks were all done very well (As was Kingsley)
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

I'm not disagreeing that it was well done.

I just really get creeped out by how young she is.
B&
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Emotional Leper wrote:I'm not disagreeing that it was well done.

I plan on going back this coming Wendsday and will be damned if the power goes out again. But it isn't likely.

From what I saw the gal playing Luna was pretty good doing that spacy-"oh-like-wow" type blonde. Young? Nah, she's about the same age as the other (kid) actors ... and just as talented.

Hope to see it in it's entirety this time around...

Where's a white-gold ring when ya need one? :twisted:

emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Seafoam Understone wrote:
Emotional Leper wrote:I'm not disagreeing that it was well done.

I plan on going back this coming Wendsday and will be damned if the power goes out again. But it isn't likely.

From what I saw the gal playing Luna was pretty good doing that spacy-"oh-like-wow" type blonde. Young? Nah, she's about the same age as the other (kid) actors ... and just as talented.

Hope to see it in it's entirety this time around...

Where's a white-gold ring when ya need one? :twisted:
She's 15
B&
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

FINALLY! Got to see this movie in it's entirety! Found out what caused the brown-out too... a squirrel got into one of the transformers that fed the theater... ZZZAAAAPP yuck! Crispy Critter!

It was good I thought. Great FX and all of that naturally which is now become the norm, the story ... well what can you do with a 500+ page book to be squeezed into 2 hours?

I was a bit disappointed with Gwarp... mainly his features made him seem like a down syndrome ... as I recall reading Hagrid's brother was slow and stupid but hardly retarded... Also he was a tad too big for my taste. Yes, he was supposed to be a full blown Giant but I would've settled for someone twice as big as Hagrid who was described as being half the size of a giant... ;)

The centaurs were all kept in the dark... was it really that much trouble to have them more illuminated clearly?

Dudley... yeah okay he's an oaf but I think it was overplayed, as well as the Dursleys. Particularly Vernon.

The kiss: ehh... I've seen better

Tonks... hot, that's all I can say about her... but yeah definitely more dialogue would've bettered her up.

Luna, was perfectly played I thought. Very airily done

Umbridge, nice performance, could've used a few more hem-hem's but nicely done. Though when reading about her I still keep making the comparison of Roz from Monster's Inc.

Dumbledore: needs to lose that beard chain thingy... I still prefer (Sir) Richard Harris' portrayal but understand that the actor needed to make the role his own to play it out.

Big fight scene in the Ministry overall ... nicely done... yeah, nicely done.
Also nice hinting at Ginny's superior powers as a witch.

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

On Dumbledore, I certainly have respect for Richard Harris, and he would've made a perfect "slowing down" Dumbledore for HBP, but, honestly, I think the actor was too feeble for the early Dumbledore. I hope the Director has Gambon slow down and make Dumbledore less spry in HBP, but, I think his portrayal was basically correct for Movies 3-5 (other than the angry GoF moments, which I see more as creative license to show more clearly the ratcheting tension in that book)
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I really like Richard Harris, as I think he did the kindly old fella side of Dumbledore well, but I think Gambon fits the role a bit better. He was a bit of a shock at first, but he's become more the role in my opinion.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”