The Rise and Fall of Empires RULES & General Discussion

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Dorian wrote:Yeah that disaster sucked ass and then some.

I just noticed that it says "stonedowner" under my name. whats with that?
Stonedowner is the name of a race of humans in Steven Donaldson's fantasy series. When you reach x amount of posts you reach that 'level'. You can change it by going into profile and typing in your own rank.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
T'lesir Core
Stonedownor

Post by T'lesir Core »

Loremaster wrote:Starting next turn, all random events - empire-specific and galactic-wide - will be public news. I might even start it this turn, detailing the Vishal's disaster and the birth rate explosion for the Orions.
We, the T'lesir, are not sure this would be for the best in all cases... there may be empire-specific events which an empire might want to keep silent about, and which could conceivably be kept silent: for example, the Orions might simply choose to make sure the journalists in their system do not access data regarding birth rate (and it's unlikely a journalist would just happen to be nosing around in people's houses to find out if there are more children born than normal). Even catastrophes, if they happened deep into an empire's sphere of influence, could be downplayed - maybe the other empires would learn something big happened on planet X, but it's unlikely they could learn the specifics. A look at the real world, after all, shows that this is possible even today - when Chernobyl exploded, Western countries only learned of it a few days later, and now, over 20 years later, most of what happened is still buried (it's said it was 10 times worse than what is known).
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

T'lesir Core wrote:
Loremaster wrote:Starting next turn, all random events - empire-specific and galactic-wide - will be public news. I might even start it this turn, detailing the Vishal's disaster and the birth rate explosion for the Orions.
We, the T'lesir, are not sure this would be for the best in all cases... there may be empire-specific events which an empire might want to keep silent about, and which could conceivably be kept silent: for example, the Orions might simply choose to make sure the journalists in their system do not access data regarding birth rate (and it's unlikely a journalist would just happen to be nosing around in people's houses to find out if there are more children born than normal). Even catastrophes, if they happened deep into an empire's sphere of influence, could be downplayed - maybe the other empires would learn something big happened on planet X, but it's unlikely they could learn the specifics. A look at the real world, after all, shows that this is possible even today - when Chernobyl exploded, Western countries only learned of it a few days later, and now, over 20 years later, most of what happened is still buried (it's said it was 10 times worse than what is known).
The details would be withheld, but not the event having occurred. Kind of like Archduke Ferdinand being assassinated that the whole world hears of.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Erkirithi-Sha
Ramen

Post by Erkirithi-Sha »

I'm not fussed - there has to be something for the news to write about, after all. As long as the report doesn't give away too many details (like saying "one of the Vishal's 5 destroyers were harmed in the quake"), then I don't see a problem.
"To promote the Empire of the Erkirithi-Sha, through science, and through the Assisted-Divinity of the Everlasting Emperor; to advance and to evolve always forward, throwing off the mawkish sentimentality of lesser beings; to suffer no imposition; and to accept no destiny but that which we make. These were the aims of The Servants of The Emperor, and these are the aims of all true Erkirithi. Long shall prevail the will of the Emperor" - the last words of Ukule-Thaid, convicted of the assassination of Chairman Kleth, 432nd cycle.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Erkirithi-Sha wrote:I'm not fussed - there has to be something for the news to write about, after all. As long as the report doesn't give away too many details (like saying "one of the Vishal's 5 destroyers were harmed in the quake"), then I don't see a problem.
Who . . . who told you about the destroyer being harmed? 8O :? *looks over shoulder*
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

For Turn Seven:

SurvCorp is again offering its services. For 2CCs it will survey two sectors. For 4CCs it will survey four sectors!
Erkirithi-Sha
Ramen

Post by Erkirithi-Sha »

That's the same price as us doing it ourselves . . .
"To promote the Empire of the Erkirithi-Sha, through science, and through the Assisted-Divinity of the Everlasting Emperor; to advance and to evolve always forward, throwing off the mawkish sentimentality of lesser beings; to suffer no imposition; and to accept no destiny but that which we make. These were the aims of The Servants of The Emperor, and these are the aims of all true Erkirithi. Long shall prevail the will of the Emperor" - the last words of Ukule-Thaid, convicted of the assassination of Chairman Kleth, 432nd cycle.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Erkirithi-Sha wrote:That's the same price as us doing it ourselves . . .
Only the company has the ships to do more surveys.
Erkirithi-Sha
Ramen

Post by Erkirithi-Sha »

Egghhh - they can stick their more ships. I have enough for what I need.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

COUGHCOUGHCOUGHSHUTTHEFUCKUPCOUGHCOUGH

What quake?
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Turn Seven Deadline is midnight, this Friday.
Erkirithi-Sha
Ramen

Post by Erkirithi-Sha »

What about instituting a competition, like the ones for Pantheon, concerning the Xenopaedia? For instance, everyone could submit something on their species' religious perspectives and, after votes are collated, the winner receives a small CC bonus. Just a thought.
Iblis
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Iblis »

I'd be up for that.
Now because You have led me astray, I shall surely sit in ambush for them on Your straight path.

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Sounds good.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Oh my god. A major turn, and four empires have yet to submit orders! The GDN article might be massive.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Dont say that, every time you say its a major turn, bad shit happens to me
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Dorian wrote:Dont say that, every time you say its a major turn, bad shit happens to me
Unlikely something as bad as the earthquake will strike twice.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

i notice you say as bad as all flash and shit, suggesting that something bad will happen, but it wont seem as bad. great
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Dorian wrote:i notice you say as bad as all flash and shit, suggesting that something bad will happen, but it wont seem as bad. great
I haven't determined the galactic-wide and empire-specific (if any) events yet, so don't worry. My comment was regarding the fact that two big things have been initiated: one, Maelstrom; and two, two news articles specifically relating to the Erkirithi-Sha.
Atrus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Atrus »

(crap :D )
Last edited by Atrus on Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Empires”