Voldemort was right about Harry's skills as a wizard though

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Harry got excellent grades (except in Divination and History) and certainly showed considerable talent. His skills weren't up there with Voldemort or Dumbledore but then, he never claimed they were.

But it wasn't just luck. Harry won because he understood things Voldemort did not. He earned loyalty where Voldemort did not. He saw possibilities Voldemort never did. Yeah, the Dark Lord had him beat in terms of spell-casting. But in virtually every other way, Harry was his superior. And that is what made all the difference.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Zahir wrote:Harry got excellent grades (except in Divination and History) and certainly showed considerable talent. His skills weren't up there with Voldemort or Dumbledore but then, he never claimed they were.

But it wasn't just luck. Harry won because he understood things Voldemort did not. He earned loyalty where Voldemort did not. He saw possibilities Voldemort never did. Yeah, the Dark Lord had him beat in terms of spell-casting. But in virtually every other way, Harry was his superior. And that is what made all the difference.
Yea, Harry relied upon his brains and resourcefulness to make up for the spellcasting Voldemort outranked him in.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

It was his personality plus "moral fiber" that attracted people and turned him into a leader. He was the "coordinating principle" around which Voldemort's enemies rallied.
Spoiler
It was his brains that gave him the information about wands, that enabled him to defeat Voldemort at the last.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Dragonlily wrote:It was his personality plus "moral fiber" that attracted people and turned him into a leader. He was the "coordinating principle" around which Voldemort's enemies rallied.
Spoiler
It was his brains that gave him the information about wands, that enabled him to defeat Voldemort at the last.
Yes but he still had loads of help though from just about everybody.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

That's what I mean. He was able to rally all that help because of his leadership ability.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

...and, as he himself says constantly, he's been really, really lucky...
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Menolly wrote:...and, as he himself says constantly, he's been really, really lucky...
I'll agree with that but only a dissecton will make it for sure. :biggrin:

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Seafoam Understone wrote:
Menolly wrote:...and, as he himself says constantly, he's been really, really lucky...
:|

It's coming...it's coming!!!
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Menolly wrote:
Seafoam Understone wrote:
:|

It's coming...it's coming!!!
:7up: I know! Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait... whoo hoo! :banana:

Fuzzy_Logic
Woodhelvennin

Post by Fuzzy_Logic »

Harry's not lacking in talents, he's just a lazy bastard or, if you prefer, has other priorities.

Seriously, Harry's general incompetence with magic seems to be result of the fact that he doesn't take his scholwork seriously; plus, he depends on Hermione to take care of him.

Whenever he actually cares, though, he's amazingly good. The Patornus Charm; learning Summoning Charms for the tournament; running the DA; using the Half-Blood Prince's textbook: whenever he actually *tries* he succeeds.
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Fuzzy_Logic wrote:Harry's not lacking in talents, he's just a lazy bastard or, if you prefer, has other priorities.

Seriously, Harry's general incompetence with magic seems to be result of the fact that he doesn't take his scholwork seriously; plus, he depends on Hermione to take care of him.

Whenever he actually cares, though, he's amazingly good. The Patornus Charm; learning Summoning Charms for the tournament; running the DA; using the Half-Blood Prince's textbook: whenever he actually *tries* he succeeds.
Yes and as a youth when we apply this we become better at it as adults. It is through effort that we learn, not just out of books. Harry is probably one of those who doesn't learn well out of a book and does better when it's hands on. Hermione on the other hand learns from books and has a type of right/left brain that intuitively knows how to work it simply by reading it, plus she's learned how to trust her abilities. Ron, is more like Harry and really has faith in his own abilities when he has to do them, under pressure, over time he learns via the hard way.

Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

I feel compelled to point out that Voldemort also had a great deal of help. He wouldn't have gone far at all without his loyal Death Eaters. And he would have stayed more-or-less impotent without direct aid from Wormtail and Barty Crouch Jr.

Actually...
Spoiler
At the Battle of Hogwarts, I believe Voldemort was doomed once his followers were overwhelmed. He could himself take on McGonnagal, Slughorn and Kinglsey but once he was forced to face Professor Flitwick, Alberforce, all of Dumbledore's Army, the entire Weasely clan (including Molly), etc. simultaneously--no, he didn't stand a chance. Of course, he'd've killed a fair number of them going down. Hence Harry's actions.
Quite simply, Voldemort also needed luck. What if Quirrel had never found him? Or Sirius had died in Azkaban? What if he hadn't discovered the truth about Barty Crouch? Or even earlier, what if his activities had been discovered while Tom Riddle was still a student at Hogwarts?
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Zahir wrote:I feel compelled to point out that Voldemort also had a great deal of help. He wouldn't have gone far at all without his loyal Death Eaters. And he would have stayed more-or-less impotent without direct aid from Wormtail and Barty Crouch Jr.

Actually...
Spoiler
At the Battle of Hogwarts, I believe Voldemort was doomed once his followers were overwhelmed. He could himself take on McGonnagal, Slughorn and Kinglsey but once he was forced to face Professor Flitwick, Alberforce, all of Dumbledore's Army, the entire Weasely clan (including Molly), etc. simultaneously--no, he didn't stand a chance. Of course, he'd've killed a fair number of them going down. Hence Harry's actions.
Quite simply, Voldemort also needed luck. What if Quirrel had never found him? Or Sirius had died in Azkaban? What if he hadn't discovered the truth about Barty Crouch? Or even earlier, what if his activities had been discovered while Tom Riddle was still a student at Hogwarts?
While much of that could be very true, remember that even Dumbledore saw the potential in the boy he found at the orphanage. A dangerous potential and thus why he took Tom under his wing. Hoping to assauge the angry, bitterness within him that allowed the evil within to flourish.

But such is the stuff of literature and the ever on-going battle between good and evil.

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Actually, Dumbledore never took Riddle under his wing, he merely kept an eye on him. In fact I think Dumbledore even says at one point that Tom never trusted him and Dumbledore believed it was because Tom had revealed too much to him at the orphanage.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”