Why is this always voted best RnR song ever?

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Why is this always voted best RnR song ever?

Post by taraswizard »

Consistently since the middle 1980s, whenever a local AoR (Album oriented Rock) station has conducted a listener poll of 'all time favorite song', Led Zepplin's Stairway to Heaven has won. IMO, that's not even the best cut off the album in question. Comment and discuss.

ps. Does anyone else think Dazed and Confused another Zepplin cut is superior in almost everyway to StH?
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

Not sure myself, :? , but I liken it to everytime I go see a regular coverband at a bar, they are virtually guaranteed to play Gimme 3 Steps..... :-x
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

HeeHee.... gimmee three steps.... :P I think Stairway is overplayed and overrated. There are plenty of other Zep songs that are way way way better than Stairway.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

I think Stairway is over-dogged on. :roll:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Good call Luci. It's hip to bash Stairway.

It's not my favorite Zeppelin song, but I can understand exactly why it keeps dominating polls. From the imagery of the lyrics, the production, the building and layering to a crescendo, and the guitar solo, the song brings it really, really well.

Not to mention that Robert Plant is the only human being on the planet to be able to sing the line, "to be a rock and not to roll" without sounding like a blithering idiot.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I'm not saying it is a bad song. I love the song. I just think it's played too much and I think there are better Zep songs to chose from.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

If Stairway comes on, I change the station. It's not that it's a bad song, I've just heard it a zillion times and would rather spend my next 10 minutes listening to something else.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Oh I agree, with the exception of a live version I haven't heard yet, I have a hard time sitting through it more than once or twice a year.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Cail wrote:Good call Luci. It's hip to bash Stairway.

It's not my favorite Zeppelin song, but I can understand exactly why it keeps dominating polls. From the imagery of the lyrics, the production, the building and layering to a crescendo, and the guitar solo, the song brings it really, really well.

Not to mention that Robert Plant is the only human being on the planet to be able to sing the line, "to be a rock and not to roll" without sounding like a blithering idiot.
RIGHT ON!!! :R
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Stairway is so overplayed it's easy to forget that it's a great song. Is it my favorite zep song? No (ACHILES!!!) But it might be their best.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Stairway has it's place. That place is on my car radio at night, during a hot spell with a full moon and the top down.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I think Stairway is more well-known to general pop - you gotta be somewhat of a zep head to know all their other tunes. How often do they play Since I've Been Loving You (or pick another) on the radio?

It's the same reason people think Freebird is LS's best work.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

It's an epic song, just like "Freebird" or "Don't Fear the Reaper".
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Cail wrote:It's an epic song, just like "Freebird" or "Don't Fear the Reaper".
Freebird needs some cowbell though.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVbAuMr5eac
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i was lucky enough to see LS live and Freebird is awesome. wish I could see Stairway live.

guns: cowbell is awesome.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Not a huge Zep fan, but I do have a double album in my collection.

I've got to say that Stairway is overplayed on the radio, but I always listen to it in its entirety and think it is an awsome piece of music.

Whether it's their best tune, well that's a personal opinion.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Why is Stairway always voted best RnR song ever? Because more people vote for it than any other RnR song, apparently. Bohemian Rapshody is #2 all-time (at least that's what I heard on the local station). Wanna whine about that great tune, too? Go ahead; I might even let you for a while before I pull the plug on your pointless ravings..... :biggrin:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

dANdeLION wrote:Why is Stairway always voted best RnR song ever? Because more people vote for it than any other RnR song, apparently.
There's no arguing with that logic.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

dAN is the master of the scathingly obvious.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

A little embarrassed to say it, but Stairway is my favorite from the ol' Zep boys. I think because I was listening the hell out of it when I went down to visit my friend, fell in love with his cousin (the first time I fell in love), and first started reading Covenant. It's tied to a memory. Like Covenant.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life

Return to “Vespers”