Gary Oldman as TC

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

spacemonkey
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by spacemonkey »

Gary Oldham as TC I DON"T THINK SO!!!!! He's too cheesy as an actor,besides, he plays better bad guys than good guys...........Patrick Stewart as Mhoram I can totally see that is a VERY good choice there but for God's sake leave Gary Oldham out of it,I won't even go see the film if he's TC!!!!!!! Give Ralph Fiennes the part of TC! That's what I see TC looking like and Ralph can pull off the "Don't Touch me!" very well......................
There is one Law
that the Wild Magic
can Destroy or Maintain
for good or ill
BE TRUE!!!

Floating High But I'm Always Down......
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I think it would be a good idea to pick someone who looks and feels like a bad guy to play Covenant.

The movie needs to acheive this balance where we can't tell whether Covenant is a good guy or a bad guy - he needs to feel like he can go either way.

Casting does a lot here. If you cast Harrison Ford (for example), everyone will assume he MUST be a good guy.

But if you cast someone like Oldman or Sinise or Spader (for the sake of argument), the audience won't have a preconceived notion of which way they would end up.

People always assume that the protagonist is a good guy. You couldn't go far wrong picking an actor whose pidgeonholed as a bad guy and casting him as TC. That would create the necessary mystery.
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Actually, given Covenant's actions in the first half of the first book at the very least, methinks you'd need to cast somone extremely likable in the role. That would be a source of ambiguity. If you cast someone usually associated with playing villains, then most audience members WILL assume Covenant is the bad guy.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

SRD as TC... ;) Who else can play the leper well?

But I throw my lot into using ARNOLD as one of the giant ravers!
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

marshm, was just about to post about actors for TC, saw your post. This is first post for me; just found this site. SRD my fave author. Into tenth reading of the first 6 TC books. Can't get tired of them. Gary Oldman is one of the finest actors on the planet, or in the galaxy. Hugh Laurie's current character makes him plausible. I haven't seen enough of him doing anything else, except as that airplane passenger sitting next to Rachel on an episode of Friends. Rocksister
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to the Watch, Rocksister! Please head over to the Announcements forum and tell us about yourself.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

spacemonkey wrote:GGive Ralph Fiennes the part of TC! That's what I see TC looking like and Ralph can pull off the "Don't Touch me!" very well......................
I agree with Spacemonkey here. . . Ralph Fiennes has great range. If you've ever seen The English Patient you can get a glimpse of how he could be a good Covenant. . . rather prickly and off-putting and yet managing all the while to pull you in and make you care. Fiennes also did a great job in Red Dragon as an ambigous character. . . Francis Dollarhyde was a serial killer, yet you felt compassion for the poor man at times. Inspired thinking, Spacemonkey! :D

~Lyr

Sunder
Stonedownor

Post by Sunder »

I would put my vote on Gary Oldman. Now that i think about he is a perfect TC in my mind. although the other suggestions were good too.
"May Your Swords Stay Sharp!"

"Darkness withers the heart."

"If you desire to know the truth, you must also have the courge to accept it."
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I had a dream (let's say nightmare) last night in which Macaully Caulkin played Covenant-it was extremely bizzare, to say the least... 8O
fall far and well Pilots!
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

danlo wrote:I had a dream (let's say nightmare) last night in which Macaully Caulkin played Covenant-it was extremely bizzare, to say the least... 8O
I should tell you about my dream/land related nightmares sometime.
B&
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I should tell you about my Illearth War dreams--those were completely wild.
fall far and well Pilots!
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

My vote still goes to Daniel Day-Lewis. Lean, can look haggard, a damn good actor.

The only trouble with all these guys is that by the time any movie could be in the making they will only be good to play Covenant's grandfather...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

William Hurt would be great in any role, Oldman too.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote:William Hurt would be great in any role, Oldman too.
Sorry, my opinion of Hurt has gone down so much since the Dune Miniseries. He might make a good Berenford, and that's the kind of role that I would expect of him: Little screen time, but top billing's pay.
B&
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Oh..I was just thining of him in A History of Violence...I didn't bother to watch the Dune minseries...I've seen parts...didn't know he was in it...

From what I've heard, I'm glad I didn't watch it...seems it's almost as bad as the 70s movie.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote:Oh..I was just thining of him in A History of Violence...I didn't bother to watch the Dune minseries...I've seen parts...didn't know he was in it...

From what I've heard, I'm glad I didn't watch it...seems it's almost as bad as the 70s movie.
That depends. If you liked the Novels, it was better than the movie in alot of regards. If you liked the movie, it was worse than the movie.

Of course, the movie never made any attempt to be faithful to the book except for this whole Dune, Spice, Messiah thing.
B&
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

I loved Dune, was so-so on Messiah and Children.

Didn't like the movie much at all.

But I enjoyed the miniseries.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

The first two-thirds of Dune is byfar the best literature I have ever read.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
bloodguard bob
Bloodguard

Post by bloodguard bob »

Gary Oldman is good. He can be sicere and sinister, sharp looking and haggard.
One of the things SRD said about Steve playing TC in Fantasy Bedtime Hour was he thought he was way better looking than how he pictured Covenant.
"...and if you do not listen, then to hell with you."
chant
Servant of the Land

Post by chant »

I don't know if these guys have been mentioned as possible covenants, but they both have the intensity required to play the character

(1) james nesbitt www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gGSxjDMFWA

(2) robert carlyle www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s6dVglIbJU&feature=related

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”