FR First Impression

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

dlbpharmd
Lord

FR First Impression

Post by dlbpharmd »

My first impression - this is a return to form for SRD. There are parts that made me laugh, shout for joy, scream, etc and there were parts that ripped my heart out. It's a great read from start to finish. I couldn't put the book down today.
Last edited by dlbpharmd on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lucimay
Lord

Re: FR First Impression

Post by lucimay »

dlbpharmd wrote:NO SPOILERS in this thread!

My first impression - this is a return to form for SRD. There are parts that made me laugh, shout for joy, scream, etc and there were parts that ripped my heart out. It's a great read from start to finish. I couldn't put the book down today.
i concur. it's a great read!!
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Starkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Starkin »

I also agree. SRD's writing is top-notch, just like reading his original TC novels. I didn't feel that way about TROTE and still don't after three re-readings.

But FR... wow, I feel like I've finally come home! I'm just about half way through and can honestly say it is totally living up to all exepectations I've had over the last three years. It's so hard to put down.

In a word: it's Awesome! :D
"Ah, my daughter, do not fear. You will not fail, however he may assail you. There is also love in the world. Be true."
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I just finished my 3rd read of ROTE prior to starting FR, and I now have a greater appreciation of ROTE. It's obvious that SRD had to write ROTE the way that he did in order to set us up for FR!
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

FR really really gave me a much greater appreciation for ROTE. Several things in FR made me go, "OH, I see why that happened. Very Sneaky SRD."
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

You buttholes! With your yack, yack, yack, it's so good. I don't have a copy yet and it is freaking killing me!
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Me neither, but when I pre-ordered it at my fave bookstore I won a signed copy of ROTE! :D
Expansion is meaningless without restriction; restriction is useless without expansion. But put them together and you get, well, a balloon.-SRD
tonyz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by tonyz »

I'm kind of less enthused.

There's a lot of good stuff in places, but I don't know if I'm missing something or if the execution is not quite up to the conception. (And I am confirmed, once again, in my opinion that teleportation just doesn't belong in fantasy novels.)
Choiceless, you were given the power of choice. I elected you for the Land but did not compel you to serve my purpose in the Land... Only thus could I preserve the integrity of my creation.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Overall I think only TPTP surpasses it in the Chronicles. Several powerful scenes as well as the interaction of the various motivations of the characters make it very intriguing.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

tonyz wrote:And I am confirmed, once again, in my opinion that teleportation just doesn't belong in fantasy novels.
In my opinion this is all about genera bending. SRD is credited with being one of the first (the first) to write "high fantasy". He didn't write what everyone else was writing. This is another example of doing things differently and, in my opinion, we won't know if he's pulled it off until the final installment of the Last Chronicles. :)
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

I really liked it/ am glad I charged out on the day and bought it.
the rue of the melody could not be mistaken
QuantumMechanic
Servant of the Land

Post by QuantumMechanic »

As I type this, FR is #137 overall at Amazon and #1 in the SF&F category. Yay for SRD!
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i've been finished with if for over a week now and i still can't get certain scenes out of my head.

i believe this one will be the one i remember most since Foamfollwer began to laugh. 8)
to one of them?

lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I am about 200 pages from being done...and cannot agree more!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

FRICK! I left my copy at home!!!!!! ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Up to page 200 and I must confess. What SRD has done with this book so far has rejuvenated me. The excitement when I read the first chronicles has been awaken again with FR.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I'm right there with you, Ur-dead.

I am thoroughly enjoying this book. So much so that I am partly taking my time reading it. I want to devour it but if I do that, I will not be able to enjoy it as much. That, and the fact that I am working and don't have much time to read until the weekend.
The King has one more move.
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

All I can say is ... OH MY GOD! what an awesome book! SRD has outdone himself; knowing some of the spoilers from Amazon and Pat5150's site ( :evil: ) I was a little worried at how SRD would handle plausibility and continuity, but he just rocked on. And after my first read of FR, I have to say a couple things that my friends here will be shocked at:

1. This book competes with The Illearth War for my favorite. And you guys know how much I loved TIW...

2. Linden has come into her own. Perhaps the existence of THOOLAH has brought about some change in SRD?

3. Damn. three more years until AATE....
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Nope. *sigh* Obviously I'm in the extreme minority, but I'm not happy with FR.

Yes, I cheered when we learned the Seven Words. I said, "Damn, that's cool" when I realized the only name we ever knew from Berek's time was ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol, and that we would have to learn that the Theomach would turn out to be him. I cheered when Stave kicked the Humbleds' asses. I cheered loudest when Linden said, "Nom! We need you!" The brief description of the battle between Caerroil Wildwood and the Viles was great. (Oh, to see a fuller description! CW in his full power!!)

But I get more of a feeling of individual events, not a continuous story.

I don't like the inconsistencies:
-The one already pointed about the Appointed Elohim Guardian at the One Tree when Berek got there.
-The Haruchai who originally came to the Land swore the Vow because they were entirely in awe of the Land's wonders, and to pay Kevin back for incredible (though unspecified) gifts. We were told this more than once, and the Haruchai telling it were not lying about it. Their passion as they told of the memory of it (either personal memories or racial) was genuine. Now we learn that they did it because they needed to regain their esteem and pride.

Anele is annoying as hell! Freakin' get over it, dude! He's been completely sane a couple times, but, "Woe is me! I failed! I'm not good enough! I'm nothing compared to my parents! I let things fall apart because I lost the Staff of Law!" Well the Staff's been found! Grab the damned thing and fix the problems! At least try! You have some extremely able and/or powerful folks helping you now!

But one of the things that annoys me most is Linden! She's kept in the dark by everyone! She can't get a straight answer from anyone about anything! Nobody trusts her with real information or truth. She's not ready; she can't be trusted; blah blah blah. She feels frustrated, and she is not happy that she's not trusted. Valid feelings, imo. So what's she do? She refuses to tell anybody the full story about anything! All stories she relates to anyone are intentionally edited for one reason or another. Even those who fully support her despite knowing that she's holding back, and despite knowing that she's planning something catastrophically dangerous aren't worthy of the truth.

Another major problem is that we don't get Covenant until the last couple pages of the second book! I don't remember how SRD worded it, but when asked if Linden was going to be the star of the Final Chrons, he said something like, "Well, it's called the Final Chronicles of Thomas Covenant." I was under the impression that this meant Covenant would have a significant role.

My last major problem is... Well, the 1st Chrons was an incredible exploration of Covenant's psyche. I've never read anything like it! Such an in-depth look at someone; watching him change; going from hating him to loving him, but feeling that it was done legitimately, not just "He's bad. OK, now he's good." What an incredible thing! But we couldn't do that again in the 2nd Chrons, right? What would be the point? So we have Linden. Covenant is strong and true, but she's really messed up. But, like Covenant in the 1st, she truly learns and grows. Fighting off possession by a Raver is an extraordinary thing!!! Absolutely boggles the mind! But, again, it seems legitimate. Ok, now we are in the Final Chrons. Obviously, just as we couldn't explore Covenant again in the 2nd, we can't explore Linden again in the Final. But wait... Looks like that's exactly what we're doing. Paragraphs and paragraphs at a time dedicated to her inner struggles. No, they're not the same inner struggles. She's not screwed up about her parents now. Still, enough already. I just don't feel the need to go through it with her again. Actually, I don't feel the need to do that at all. There's enough going on in the Land and its earth. Let's see the huge power-plays, and forget about the angst and all that.

OK, my major problems are all with Linden. I'm a member of THOOLAH, but I've never been a particularly rabid member. It's fun to make some really good jokes about her in the 2nd Chrons, but she really was important. Now I really am sick to death of her.

(And holy cow, if I have to hear about Pahni's hand on Liand's shoulder one more time...!!! :lol:)
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

how nitpicky of you. hush up. *pokes fingers in ears* la la la i can't hear youuuuu la la la :P
to one of them?