Regional Meetings

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

I am in Alpharetta GA!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'm about 4.5 hours from Atlanta and could participate in any kind of meeting there. Iquestor, IIRC, Alpharetta is close to the Duluth, Lawrenceville, & Stone Mountain area, right?
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

I'm in Indianapolis, so a trip to Chicago is pretty easy for me to swing, or even Nashville... my wife has relatives in the Nashville area.
Also, remember that Revan will be in Tennessee some time this summer.

And, dlb, I recently (over NewYears weekend) helped my brother and his family move back to Indiana from Athens, TN (between Knoxville and Chattanooga).

DW
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

dlbpharmd wrote:I'm about 4.5 hours from Atlanta and could participate in any kind of meeting there. Iquestor, IIRC, Alpharetta is close to the Duluth, Lawrenceville, & Stone Mountain area, right?
yep, its right there, 20 miles north of Atlanta. Peven is here, and OneWyteDuck is about 2 hours away. We should do a local sometime.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

My sister lives in Snellville. I could meet up practically anytime.
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

Dlb, lets do it up! How many want to make a date for Atlanta GA?
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

iQuestor wrote:Dlb, lets do it up! How many want to make a date for Atlanta GA?
wow. Atlanta? i have a very good friend in Atlanta that i haven't seen live and in person in several YEARS!!! 8O

she would LOVE me to come to Atlanta AND i can sleep over at her place free!! so that makes Atlanta on my definite COULD DO list!!!

(the cheapest i can make the trip is obviously the most desirable, that's why albuquerque works for me, cause i have another dear friend who lets me sleep on her couch there!) :biggrin:

depending on the when of it, of course!
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
beanish
Servant of the Land

Post by beanish »

Anyone interested in coffee or a bite before or (preferably) after SRD's Bellevue WA appearance this week (Oct 11)?

I've only occasionally looked at this board, and haven't participated at all. Even so, I think it'd be fun to discuss with some other fans afterwards...
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

beanish wrote:Anyone interested in coffee or a bite before or (preferably) after SRD's Bellevue WA appearance this week (Oct 11)?

I've only occasionally looked at this board, and haven't participated at all. Even so, I think it'd be fun to discuss with some other fans afterwards...
I'd be up for that, wasn't sure which WA reading I was going to, but coffee's a good motivator.
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter
beanish
Servant of the Land

Post by beanish »

There is a Starbucks right around the corner from the University Bookstore (left and then left as you walk out the front door of the store). I'll be wearing a shirt that looks something like my avatar, and will stop in there after the SRD appearance.

It was tempting to go up to Lake Forest Park last night - I love that location - but the commute on a weeknight was just too awkward.
Waddley Hasselhoff wrote:
beanish wrote:Anyone interested in coffee or a bite before or (preferably) after SRD's Bellevue WA appearance this week (Oct 11)?
I'd be up for that, wasn't sure which WA reading I was going to, but coffee's a good motivator.
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

Neato. I look like my avatar (because it's me) but with dark brown hair. (With a blonde part because it's been too long since I dyed it...) I'll probably have a bag of books, too.

I don't get off work until 6, though, and am going to have to fight through traffic from the north end to get there... so if you don't see me there on time, gimme a few minutes! :) How's the parking there, or should I just park at Bell Square mall?
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter
beanish
Servant of the Land

Post by beanish »

Waddley Hasselhoff wrote:
How's the parking there, or should I just park at Bell Square mall?
Parking is free, and there's a garage right there under the bookstore. The parking entrance is on 102nd Ave just north of NE 8th.

Tried to buy FR there a couple of days ago, they said the book was on hold (no one was supposed to sell it) until today. Go figure.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

texas fans?

Post by Seven Words »

I'm just outside (to the east) of Houston...any fans around?
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Hey, what would everyone think about a group camping trip? Where we explore our own Land and drink beer and cook steak and sleep under the stars . . . and maybe even talk about Donaldson. :)

Mammoth Cave National Park has some cool camping. So does Big South Fork, which is on the KY/TN border. Also there is the the Red River Gorge, a geological wonderland. And it just so happens to be an hour from Lexington, which is good for Kigirl and me. :)

I feel guilty suggesting a site close to me, so I'll mention Luray Caverns in Virginia. It isn't the biggest cave in the world (like Mammoth), but it is the prettiest on the east side of the continent--#1 position being held for Carlsbad, of course). I used to be a cave guide, btw. There should be a campground there, too.

Anyway, I think it would be fun to meet everyone on this side of the country--or whoever else would like to come--and combine it with one of my favorite activities. Does this sound interesting to anyone else?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

I might be up for that... in warmer weather, of course.

[I have access to a no-frills but inexpensive cabin at Diamond Caverns, just up the road from Mammoth Cave.]

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I've never been camping in my life but if there's a meeting close to me I'm there (Big South Fork is in the next county to the west, easily with an hour's drive from my home.)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yeah, I'd definitely be up for this. I'd rather do Mammoth, since I've already been to Lurray.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

If there are cabins nearby, I'd be interested. The beer, steak and Donaldson sound good, but I haven't been camping since I was fifteeen.

Plus, I've been in that part of the country, but always been on the way to somewhere else. It'd be good to wander around for a few days.
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

Depending when, I would try.

Hmmmm ... fireside chats ... with laptops and Broadband cards keeping us connected?! :biggrin:
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Damelon wrote:If there are cabins nearby, I'd be interested. The beer, steak and Donaldson sound good, but I haven't been camping since I was fifteeen.

Plus, I've been in that part of the country, but always been on the way to somewhere else. It'd be good to wander around for a few days.
...I need a "what s/he said" emoticon...

Depending on finances (which are always questionable), I would love to do this. I grew up camping for school holidays, but haven't gone since I left home, and have no idea how to set up my own tent or camp site. I do have some BSA dutch oven recipes I could go through for camp fire cooking though...

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”