Predictions

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Predictions

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I really should go back and check my past prediction post to see if I was even close on anything but here goes it anyway:

Longwrath wants to kill Joan not Linden but all he "sees" of Linden is a female possessor of the white gold, which is what his Earthsight is warning him of.

Anele is the salvation of the Earth because he can see/read/hear/feel the history of stone. Stone remembers. The Mahdoubt said that the trees didn't remember even back at Wildwood's time so the only key or way to "reboot" the Earth to the original point of perfection intended by the Creator is for Anele to come in contact with the original stone of the earth.
So maybe a Wild Magic ceasure trip back to creation would allow him to "see" how the world should have been before it was corrupted.
Although Foul added his spite as the Creator was making the Earth so.....I don't know.....
Or maybe rather he needs to touch the "One Rock" or something.
Wasn't there a "One Rock" or "One Stone" mentioned in LFB?
So if Foul is "contained" or imprisoned by a construct of Jerry somehow, Anele could reboot the Earth and have it free of Despite.

Those are my two so far.
I have more that escape me at the moment.
Everyone else post their predictions too.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
CT
Stonedownor

Post by CT »

Isn't orcrest a piece or descendant of some important rock, like lomillialor is descended from the one tree?
Starkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Starkin »

CT wrote:Isn't orcrest a piece or descendant of some important rock, like lomillialor is descended from the one tree?
The One Rock, "the heart of the Earth". Mentioned only once. If I find the quote that mentions it I'll post it.

I remember it because I've had an on-going glossary of TC for years. Numerous re-reading don't hurt either. :)
Last edited by Starkin on Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Ah, my daughter, do not fear. You will not fail, however he may assail you. There is also love in the world. Be true."
Starkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Starkin »

The One Rock is mentioned on page 197 in TIW (not LFB) in the chapter "Forth To War". At least in my Darrell Sweet cover edition.

Makes you wonder what the One Rock is, where it is, and how people got a piece of it... and why SRD never mentioned it again.
"Ah, my daughter, do not fear. You will not fail, however he may assail you. There is also love in the world. Be true."
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

Re: Longwrath wants to kill Joan not Linden but all he "sees" of Linden is a female possessor of the white gold, which is what his Earthsight is warning him of.

Interesting theory. I wonder if Longwrath will still be trying to murder Linden now that sh'es gone and done some awful thing.

Re: Makes you wonder what the One Rock is, where it is, and how people got a piece of it... and why SRD never mentioned it again.

Another interesting question! I assumed it was the stone equivalent of the One Tree. Wonder if it too has a guardian? Maybe TC has to seek for it in order to quell the Worm?
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

No matter how ya slice it, I see another host of new characters and/or elements (i.e. the One Rock) emerging in AATE. I mean, Donaldson's gotta explain all this new insanity somehow!
StarRider
Stonedownor

Post by StarRider »

Jeremiah's crushed toy car will be the piece that sends him and mom home again. Maybe even Covenant too.
High Lord Tolkien

I have another prediction that I really want to see played out.

TC has been "reborn" and what happens next is anyone's guess.
But the three main and probably most loved characters from the previous Chronicles have yet to make an appearance.
Lord Mhoram, Bannor and Foamfollower.

What little do we know about the end of their lives?

Mhoram? Probably lived out his remaining years in Revelstone.
Bannor? Probably died shortly after going back home.
Foamfollower? Probably died during TC's battle to destroy the IllEarth Stone.

We don't REALLY know for sure how/when they died.

What if they didn't?

Linden has her trusted group of friends.
If Linden and TC separate to go on two different quests TC is going to need a team of his own.
What if as Timewarden wielding the white gold he can easily create cesures to go back and forward in time.

Allow me a little fan fiction...

Mhoram feels his time is at an end and leaves his fellow Lords only to be greeted by TC urging him to join him to once again save the Land.

Same thing with Bannor, but that conversation takes place in the Haruchai home in the mountains. We'd get to see and experience the reaction of the Haruchai to another who had given up on the Vow. I think it would tie in nicely with what the Haruchai are doing today.

Foamfollower is saved in the moments before he'd be incinerated when Foul's Crech was destroyed.

The introduction of these 3 old characters would give a much needed different perspective on the current state of the Land.

They were there in the beginning I'd like to see them there at the end too!

Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Borric
Servant of the Land

Post by Borric »

Great ideas High Lord Tolkien.

All sound feasible to me.

Keep them coming.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

They were there in the beginning I'd like to see them there at the end too!
My sentimental heart agrees with you on this one--however, I don't think it'll happen: :(

But we can hope... :)
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

High Lord Tolkien wrote: What little do we know about the end of their lives?
We know they were dead by the time of the Second Chronicles. If they were taken to the future, then they must have been returned to the past so they could die there.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Nice idea, so here goes:

1) We will discover that Longwrath is in fact an agent of the two surviving Ravers. His obsession with killing Linden is an act of revenge against the sole surviving member of the cabal that slew their brother. But his main task will be to kill all the enhanced sandgorgons with his special sword in order to reconstruct the raver from the pieces each of them holds.

2) I believe (though this may happen only in the final book) that the story is going to spill back into the 'real' world of the town near Covenant's farm. But this time the Land is coming along! The two will form a synthesis and form a new world.

3) The chains the Ur-Viles made are indeed intended to shackle Foul and all his hidden banes at Mt Thunder and they will look like two Agents from the Matrix movies (one male and one female)

4) I like the idea of Covenant regaining his old companions from the first series, but he wouldn't gain them by time-travels. He will simply resurrect them (since now the Laws prohibiting this are broken) or maybe they will accompany him as shades.
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
High Lord Tolkien

shadowbinding shoe wrote: 4) I like the idea of Covenant regaining his old companions from the first series, but he wouldn't gain them by time-travels. He will simply resurrect them (since now the Laws prohibiting this are broken) or maybe they will accompany him as shades.
I really like this idea!
It would work for me.

Image Image Image Image
sandgorgon34
Servant of the Land

Post by sandgorgon34 »

Aleksandr wrote:Re: Longwrath wants to kill Joan not Linden but all he "sees" of Linden is a female possessor of the white gold, which is what his Earthsight is warning him of.
I have to disagree. Longwrath specifically targeted and hunted Linden because he knew what she was up to. Just as Seadreamer knew the fate of the Quest for the One Tree, Longwrath sought to prevent the reckless use of the krill and ring.
High Lord Tolkien

sandgorgon34 wrote:
Aleksandr wrote:Re: Longwrath wants to kill Joan not Linden but all he "sees" of Linden is a female possessor of the white gold, which is what his Earthsight is warning him of.
I have to disagree. Longwrath specifically targeted and hunted Linden because he knew what she was up to. Just as Seadreamer knew the fate of the Quest for the One Tree, Longwrath sought to prevent the reckless use of the krill and ring.
We don't "specifically" know anything yet.
There's 2 more books to go.
;)

Image Image Image Image
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Agree with HLT on Longwrath..

The manacles are to bind Longwrath until the last book.

Anele will be the same in the next book but he will drop the hints he has been doing along the last two. (In FR he picks up a pebble and remarks that it is older than all the sourround rocks and it remembers "Landsdrop"). He will slowly change from his insanity.

TC will be totally confusing to Linden but he will be the way Linden remembers him or he will know alot and become like a personal Theomach to Linden. (Guarding and guiding her so she doesn't make
a major blunder.) He will offset Esmer.

The Harrow will be a pain in the butt but will be offset by Esmer.
Esmer will talk off tangents to Linden then will go beat on the Harrow.

By Stave's developing character, the Humbled will be again humilated
(by one of their own bandished) in realizing that their nature is born from self arrogance.

The Stonedowner will find new ways to use his stone.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
hue of fuzzpaws
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by hue of fuzzpaws »

At the final climatic battle, Linden will discover that Foul never had Jeremiah

and the reference to 'tell her I have her son' was his taunt towards Joan

about Roger. TC will then absorb Foul into himself and Linden will, with

Anele's aid, create a caesure that flings the TC/Foul fusion back to the

beginning of Time, thus sealing a time loop.
"Let's not fight. I don't like fighting" Frostheart Grueburn
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Over reaching on this one.

Jeremiah contructs two boxes.

One to render the Worm inert for a couple of billion of years.
(Giving the Creators intent to become real.)

Another to contain Foul when he is defeated(again) and reduced
so as time passes ever so slowly and will not be able to act
against the Land. Until all have passed utterly from the Land.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I think that Jeremiah is an agent of Foul, and Linden's going to have to accept that...this comment leaves more to the theme of the chronicles, namely, problems will abound because Linden can not accept certain things (TC being dead, for example) and things will not be resolved until she begins to accept things for what they are.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
ur-9
Servant of the Land

Post by ur-9 »

Isn't the Worm supposed to form the foundation of the earth. If that is so, then I believe that Anele will, in the end, have to have some contact with the Worm. That would be the deep stone that remembers everything and he will be able to communicate with it.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”