Countdown to Fatal Revenant!

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

500 book Stephen Donaldson giveaway from Waterstone’s

To mark the publication of Fatal Revenant, the second installment in Stephen Donaldson's current series The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Waterstone's are holding an online giveaway, with 500 (yes, five hundred) copies of part one, The Runes of the Earth, up for grabs. [link]
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Wow...lucky Donaldson UK fans. I hope some UK Watchers win.
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

FR finally arrived in Melbourne bookstores today. Yay! I picked up my copy for the princely sum of $49.95 Aussie. That's the most I've paid for a book...um, ever.

Now I've gotta get off my butt and re-read Runes, because FR is calling... :)
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I have to wait until November 11. :(
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

I got my copy! :biggrin: :letsparty:

Probably the first one in South Africa - thanks, Fisty! :Hail: :Hail: :Hail:
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Went into another Waterstone's today: they had three copies on the Fantasy table, in between ten-copy stacks of Gemmel and Pratchett. When I tried to pick the top one up it was wedged in by these stacks--I had to shift them about to get at it.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Yay! Edge! Can't wait to hear what you think of it. :P
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Niftium
Woodhelvennin

Post by Niftium »

Guess what finally showed up at my door today. :biggrin:

Just finished my Runes reread last night: perfect timing. I have (my minor) complaints about the way this edition of FR was printed, but hopefully those will be my only complaints! For those who feared I would give in to reading topics on the FR forum, I have remained true to my spoiler virginity.
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

duke wrote:FR finally arrived in Melbourne bookstores today. Yay! I picked up my copy for the princely sum of $49.95 Aussie. That's the most I've paid for a book...um, ever.

Now I've gotta get off my butt and re-read Runes, because FR is calling... :)
Wow, I was actually in Melbourne a couple of weeks ago. I went to a few bookshops, thinking I might pick up a few things that aren't available in the US. Umm, that didn't happen. I couldn't believe how much things cost! I was thinking of getting Night of Knives, but it was $30 or $40 AUD (which translates to about $30 or $40 US!). No way would I spend $50 on FR.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

FR is currently #18 on the Waterstone's hardback chart, which means it gets a good spot on the display shelves.
I'm still not keen on the UK cover, having seen it on those shelves today--with the silver and gold writing on the pale grey background, you can't make out the cover at all from a distance, and it's hard to read the title and author unless you're up close to it. Not great for drawing people in bookstores to look at it.
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

Farm Ur-Ted - $50 AU for FR isnt so bad. After all, its SRD, and I'm very happy to pay for the quality of writing I'm getting. And we pay a premium for books in Australia because of our small market, and the tyranny of distance.

As an aside, I remember paying $35- AU for each of the Gap novels in Hardcover in the 1990s. Now that was a lot of money! :)

Murrin - I agree about the FR cover being hard to read from a distance. Its like an evil talisman on my home bookshelf, shimmering and calling to me to read it. A huge contrast from the garish US copy of Runes that is next to it!
Manny Calavera
Stonedownor

Post by Manny Calavera »

I agree the cover art does not stand out enough from a distance :(

I like it I guess,but it doesnt grab new readers from a distance like other titles do.
Manny Calavera
Stonedownor

Post by Manny Calavera »

Malik23 wrote:But here's another way to look at it. You've got 3 years until the next book comes out. 20 cents a week will more than pay for the next book. For the low, low price of less than a quarter week, you too can be the proud owner of the next installment in the very Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant written by our favorite author. That's a bargain!

Anyway, like I said, I'm not trying to be judgmental. More than anything, I'm upset that Donaldson's sales are so low compared all the crap that is selling millions. I'm frustrated that his American publishers thought about dropping him after the dismal sales of Runes. And I hate it that he's considered a "has been" in the publishing industry.

But I shouldn't take that out on you. It's not your fault. I hope I didn't offend you.
*Bought two hard cover copies,new,at Chapters,and a ARC for 70 dollars.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”