A VERY fragile Arch of Time...

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

I just had a image of Linden pouring Nyquill into the Earthblood. :?
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

I just had a image of Linden pouring Nyquill into the Earthblood.
Or intravenously injecting both straight into the vein! 8O
stormrider
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by stormrider »

sherlock_525 wrote:Good points all but something to think about: How the hell can you write TWO more books if the Worm is awake? The way Findal talked made it sound as if everything would come to an end as soon as the Worm was awakened. "it will shed this skin of rock and dirt and continue it's journey" is how I think it was stated
Maybe the Worm will just eat all the damn Elohim and then go back to sleep. I'd be okay with that.

Of course, that might cause problems. Might have some sort of negative effect on Earthpower, or something, since they're Earthpower incarnate...

But it would be worth it to see Infelice get devoured.
“...The conversations had a nightmare flatness, talking dice spilled in the tube metal chairs, human aggregates disintegrating in cosmic inanity, random events in a dying universe where everything is exactly what it appears to be and no other relation than juxtaposition is possible.”

“There are two kinds of sufferers in this world: those who suffer from a lack of life, and those who suffer from an overabundance.”

"Meantime we shall express our darker purpose."
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Stormrider wrote:
Maybe the Worm will just eat all the damn Elohim and then go back to sleep. I'd be okay with that.
Infelice says in the waning words of FR that "every Elohim will be devoured." She doesn't mention anything about the Earth itself. Or is this omission on her part just an example of the Elohim's utter self-righteousness and arrogance?

I'd be OK with their being totally exterminated for the Worm to get a midnight snack. Unfortunately, there's no WAY we can be that lucky. :x
sherlock_525
Ramen

Post by sherlock_525 »

But we can always hope. DEATH TO THE BASTARD ELOHIM!!! :twisted:
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone"-Al Capone
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Despite everything, the Elohim are pretty useful. I don't think we should be happy if they are all destroyed. The stars are the bright children of the Creator, after all.

But that's an interesting question ... have there been any glimmers in FR so far of something that might be useful for making the Worm drowsy again?

Could maybe Linden possess it?

Perhaps Covenant, as the Timewarden, has some abilities. After all, he does hava a spiritual relationship with the Arch of Time. Could he quell it's destructive side?
stormrider
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by stormrider »

Wayfriend wrote:Despite everything, the Elohim are pretty useful. I don't think we should be happy if they are all destroyed. The stars are the bright children of the Creator, after all.
Well, at the very least, I hope it eats Infelice.
Wayfriend wrote:Could maybe Linden possess it?
As adept at possession as Linden is, I'd be surprised if she could manage it. Not only is the Worm probably extremely powerful, but it's also very abstract -- I doubt it would be as easy to possess as a human being (or even a raver). Linden is incredibly intuitive (and the power of intuition seems to be unique to her -- from the very beginning of the second chronicles, Linden was able to sense what she needed to do, whereas TC was never able to do that, even when he had his health sense in LFB and TIW), but I still think she's too human and limited to possess the Worm. She might be able to come up with another way to stop it, but I don't think she'll be able to control it in that manner.
“...The conversations had a nightmare flatness, talking dice spilled in the tube metal chairs, human aggregates disintegrating in cosmic inanity, random events in a dying universe where everything is exactly what it appears to be and no other relation than juxtaposition is possible.”

“There are two kinds of sufferers in this world: those who suffer from a lack of life, and those who suffer from an overabundance.”

aliensporebomb
Servant of the Land

Post by aliensporebomb »

Look, as weird as it sounds you're not going to be able to make friends with the Worm of the World's end.

It doesn't work that way.

At any rate, I suspect Linden will feel guilty enough when she finds out she basically guaranteed Foul's Permanent Laughter boutique when the arch cracks.
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

stormrider wrote:
sherlock_525 wrote:Good points all but something to think about: How the hell can you write TWO more books if the Worm is awake? The way Findal talked made it sound as if everything would come to an end as soon as the Worm was awakened. "it will shed this skin of rock and dirt and continue it's journey" is how I think it was stated

Of course, that might cause problems. Might have some sort of negative effect on Earthpower, or something, since they're Earthpower incarnate...

But it would be worth it to see Infelice get devoured.
I have an idea for a movie. Quentin Tarentino does the Chronicles. It shall be called, "Kill Infelice."
B&
Edelaith
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Edelaith »

I would say fragile is an understatement.
The Arch of Time was upheld by the three laws: the Laws of Death, Life, and Time.

Along comes Elena, and with the Power of Command breaks the Law of Death.
Along comes Caer-Caveral, and with Sunder's help breaks the Law of Life.
Along comes Joan, and with White Gold starts destroying the Law of Time.

Now, enter Linden, who further violates the Law of Time (with help from assorted powers.)
Then, Linden absolutely SHATTERS what remained of the Laws of Death and Life by resurrecting Thomas Covenant (will she resurrect anyone else? We wonders, yes we do, my precious ...)

Finally, the Worm of the World's End awakens. And it is supposedly able to destroy the Earth even if all the Laws are fully intact, and if given battle with White Gold THAT will destroy the Arch even with all of the Laws intact.
Of course, two of the three Laws are utterly trashed, and the third is on the brink, and now cometh the Worm.

Yeah, Lord Foul is laughing. I don't see how even Thomas Covenant is going to pull the Earth out of the fire this time ('Hey, I just resurrected you. You're in real bad shape, too. But could you please go and immediately fight the Worm and somehow not destroy the Earth while doing so? Here's the Ring to do it with! Oh, and while you're at it, find Jeremiah.')

This is what the Elohim and the Insequent and the Masters and all the others get, for their manipulations and hiding of the truth from Linden. Serving Lord Foul? Indeed.
stormrider
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by stormrider »

Emotional Leper wrote:I have an idea for a movie. Quentin Tarentino does the Chronicles. It shall be called, "Kill Infelice."
"Infelice, it's your baby!"

And now for the titular line:

"When I found out that a croyal was gnawing on the neck of my braindead kid, I went on what the movie advertisements refer to as a 'roaring rampage of revenge.' I roared. And I rampaged. And I got bloody satisfaction. I've killed a hell of a lot of people to get to this point, but I have only one more. The last one. The one I'm driving to right now. The only one left. And when I arrive at my destination, I am gonna kill Infelice."

tonyz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by tonyz »

There are, perhaps, more Laws than just the three you mentioned...
Choiceless, you were given the power of choice. I elected you for the Land but did not compel you to serve my purpose in the Land... Only thus could I preserve the integrity of my creation.
Skurj Scourge
Woodhelvennin

Post by Skurj Scourge »

It's an interesting thought exercise to think what other laws might be holding up the arch and how they might be threatened...

Law of Love: Can the love of one person (Linden for Jeremiah) be broken to cause harm to the The Earth?

Law of Lore: Perhaps already broken by Kevin at the RoD? Weakened by The Master's prohibition on the use/knowledge of Earthpower?

Law of Space: Teleporting seems to be unknown in the Land? Do you indeed have to travel from point A to C by going through point B? or can it be bypassed? what would be the effect of that?

Law of Truth: (no idea about this one, but it sure sounds good)
Get that friggin' croyel offa me!
Edelaith
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Edelaith »

Stephen Donaldson makes it clear in the Gradual Interview that the Law is weakened (indeed, reduced to rubble, which Joan blasts into oblivion chunk by chunk.)
I believe he states that if the Law completely collapses, the Arch of Time collapses. He also makes no mention of any fourth or subsequent Laws in the Gradual Interview.

So there is nothing like someone throwing yet another shattering blow at the Law.
Unless Linden has, in effect, created a new Law with her actions (with the Staff of Law, backed by Wild Magic and guided by the Krill.)
But what new Law would this be?

Return to “Fatal Revenant”