The Humbled

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Skurj Scourge
Woodhelvennin

The Humbled

Post by Skurj Scourge »

I'm surprised there is not more discussion of The Humbled on this board. The entire concept of the Haruchai as Masters of the Land is a brilliant, frightening development. Their singlemindedness and stubborn steadfastness, if channeled in the wrong fashion, can be devastating.

The Humbled journeying with Linden are, in my mind, a HUGE question mark. There's no sign that the three have in any way really repudiated the core of their "no use of earthpower" belief. the allowed Liand to educate the Woodhelvenin about it,, but with the knowledge that once those people got Revelstone, they would be, for all intents and purposes, imprisoned.

I question how far they may go to ultimately prevent the use of Earthpower in general, and by Linden in specific. It will also be interesting to see how they relate to the resurrected TC, and how they will ultimately deal with the fact that they seem to have been fooled outright by Roger.

I foresee a host of problems as the Humbled continue to journey with Linden. I don't see them caving, as did Stave.
Get that friggin' croyel offa me!
sherlock_525
Ramen

Post by sherlock_525 »

Something I've wondered about from the begining: Why did the Haruchai take TC's advice to watch over Revelstone as a call to become the Masters of the Land I have a thought that this fact might play a bigger part than some think.
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone"-Al Capone
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

I wonder just how TC is going to react to the Masters and their mastery. I can see him being really upset with how they took his command to their ancestors.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Aleksandr wrote:I wonder just how TC is going to react to the Masters and their mastery. I can see him being really upset with how they took his command to their ancestors.
Linden will set him straight.. She'll tell him Stave's tale. Then TC will say:
Hellfire and Damnation!! I pegged Bannor right.!

For those who can't remember LFB.. TC didn't trust the Bloodguard either.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

sherlock_525 wrote:Something I've wondered about from the begining: Why did the Haruchai take TC's advice to watch over Revelstone as a call to become the Masters of the Land I have a thought that this fact might play a bigger part than some think.
I agree, we haven't seen the last of this plot line.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

and, besides, there are a pile of discussion of the Humbled on the Runes page...
But I agree that they will be set straight by TC and Linden (and Stave) once and for all...
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Usivius wrote:
But I agree that they will be set straight by TC and Linden (and Stave) once and for all...

And Brinn/ak Haru Kenaustin Ardenol? He is the one Haruchai whose actions show that sometimes the only way to exceed your inadequacy is to give in, to surrender to whatever you're inadequate to accomplishing, i.e. defeating the Guardian of the One Tree. Stave probably fits this mold as well...
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Anyone else think The Humbled may be Staves sons?

Some mention of stave's son came just before the chapter 'Sons'. Just made me think.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

That's been brought up in another thread.

+ The description of the Humbled indicates that they are young, or at least untried.

+ An apparently throw-away blurb in Runes mentions the Haruchai being long lived.

So it's possible. But I don't know if there is any clear evidence of it being more than a suspicion based on a feeling.
sherlock_525
Ramen

Post by sherlock_525 »

True but for at least 3 years all we'vw got are fellings and half-assed assumtions :(
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone"-Al Capone
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I doubt that all 3 of the Humbled are Stave's sons, but maybe one of them is.
sherlock_525
Ramen

Post by sherlock_525 »

If it's any of them it's Galt. 8)

Return to “Fatal Revenant”