Ur-

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Emotional Leper's avatar is HOT. :oops: I always thought that the ur- prefix meant something akin to bestowed, as in honorary but not earned type of thing. Of course, SRD got the reference from somewhere legit, as I would have expected. What a beautiful mind
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

sherlock_525 wrote:That might be difficult...seems like some people still like her...but hay whats a few severed heads between friends? :lf:
A good time. :twisted:
Rocksister wrote:Emotional Leper's avatar is HOT. :oops: I always thought that the ur- prefix meant something akin to bestowed, as in honorary but not earned type of thing. Of course, SRD got the reference from somewhere legit, as I would have expected. What a beautiful mind
Judges? Can we accept that?

*buzzer*

You are correct. We would have also accepted, "Kafka-esque," "You'll Rue the Day, Trebeck," and "Scrumptious, m' preciouss."
B&
stormrider
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by stormrider »

Wayfriend wrote:Just say no to necrophilia.
Definition:
Necrophilia -- The irresistible urge to pop open a cold one.

(Ugh... okay, so that was vaguely inappropriate.)
“...The conversations had a nightmare flatness, talking dice spilled in the tube metal chairs, human aggregates disintegrating in cosmic inanity, random events in a dying universe where everything is exactly what it appears to be and no other relation than juxtaposition is possible.”

“There are two kinds of sufferers in this world: those who suffer from a lack of life, and those who suffer from an overabundance.”

"Meantime we shall express our darker purpose."
Chasmys
Servant of the Land

Post by Chasmys »

Wayfriend wrote:
In the Gradual Interview was wrote:
  • Considering my background, it's a bit peculiar that I have in some sense misused the "ur-". Among English majors--at least of my generation--"ur-" denotes "original," but it connotes "hypothetical." It refers to an original which we believe to exist, but which we do not possess. I twisted that quite a bit with "ur-viles" and "ur-Lord," trying to suggest an artificial and possibly corrupt relationship.

(12/14/2005)
Thanks for that. It jogged my memory enough to remember the proper use of the term, as in "ur-language". I knew that I knew this word, just couldn't remember!
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

stormrider wrote:
Wayfriend wrote:Just say no to necrophilia.
Definition:
Necrophilia -- The irresistible urge to pop open a cold one.

(Ugh... okay, so that was vaguely inappropriate.)
Well, considering they stopped making virgins in '89, I guess the only way you could get one any more is on ice.
B&
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

The prefix Ur- in the nordic languages means "ancient" or "original" or "What was there first". This used to baffle me when I read TC.

But I suppose, if they compare him to Berek Halfhand who WAS the first lord, this meaning might be appropriate.

Meh, he always seemed an upstart to me.
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Prebe wrote:The prefix Ur- in the nordic languages means "ancient" or "original" or "What was there first". This used to baffle me when I read TC.

But I suppose, if they compare him to Berek Halfhand who WAS the first lord, this meaning might be appropriate.
The ur-Lord comes first in honor, not first in time ... make sense?
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

Sort of. Could be a good interpretation WF.
-Hashi Lebwohl
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Which would fit along with the Nordic theme. I seem to recall somewhere reading that Odin wasn't superior to any of the other Aesir, or to his human warriors -- but that he was First among Equals.
B&
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Come to think of it, the idea of firstness is similarly expressed in another character's name. Try to guess.
Spoiler
The First of the Search. Say "Doh!" now.
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

So, a lot of 'firstness' going on here.

But the concept (NOW i remember) does not hold for the UR-viles, that are distinctly second to the Viles.

I guess that SRD really means what he says and not what I think he might :(
-Hashi Lebwohl
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Emotional Leper wrote:
Well, considering they stopped making virgins in '89, I guess the only way you could get one any more is on ice.
Yikes!!! I think I'll stay out of this one. Ur-nasty............ 8O

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Rocksister wrote:
Emotional Leper wrote:
Yikes!!! I think I'll stay out of this one. Ur-nasty............ 8O
Hey. I don't hang out with Anthropologists because I like the science (though I do.) I hang out with Anthropologists so I can get inside news on discoveries of 5000 year old frozen cavwomen.
B&
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

You don't need an ice pick, ur-dude. Older frigid women exist in this very millennium!!! (The ur was to keep me on topic....) :?

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”