New Banes

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

khalgregar wrote:The bane that was in the north and then found release in Mount Thunder is Kastenessen. Really, it's that simple.
Yep. Could be. It fits the "there's a bane, and there's also the skurj" idea. The only question is, would the Elohim call Kastenessen "a bane"? Not only is Kastenessen a person, but he's one of the Elohim himself. "A bane", on the other hand, sounds like a thing. "And there are banes buried in the deeps of the Earth"... (Then again, TC is Lord Foul's Bane.)
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

They may not consider Kastenessen an Elohim any longer, if he's given up (or transformed) some of himself to escape. I don't think they'd dare acknowledge him as one of them--it might make them seem responsible for him, and so long as they can say it's someone else's problem, they can stay out of it.
Borillar
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Borillar »

This isn't quite related, but at one point, Roger is talking about the dangers of the past and he says that there are a lot more Cavewights, griffins, and then some other name that I haven't ever heard before. Does anyone recall that?
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Quellvisks? Yeah. I think it was Jeremiah who said it; I'm intrigued as well. SRD--in this series at least--doesn't seem to drop things in that he doesn't intend to use.
Starkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Starkin »

Murrin wrote:Quellvisks
Yeah, who knows what the heck they are? I'm sure we'll find out in AATE. :)
"Ah, my daughter, do not fear. You will not fail, however he may assail you. There is also love in the world. Be true."
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

The glossary of FR says a quellvisk is: a kind of monster, now apparently extinct.

Apparently? Yeah, whatever SRD. You're not fooling us, man. 8)
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Starkin wrote:
Murrin wrote:Quellvisks
Yeah, who knows what the heck they are? I'm sure we'll find out in AATE. :)
Probably giant eggwhisks:)

It's all in the names with SRD, 'quell' comes from OE cwellan, "murder" so I am sure they will be nasty beasts when they turn up...

Interestingly, bane also comes from OE bana "slayer, murderer" so in the past it did refer to a person, not a thing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Quelle means "source" or "origin" in German. But what the hell is a visk???

I'm sure that SRD meant the English origin of the word quell as murder, though. Still, what the hell is a visk???
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Googled:
Seems to be "fish" in Dutch. :lol:
Alternatively, according to one result "viska" is "(long) live" in Catalan
So: Quell Visk = kill life?
Icarus
Servant of the Land

Post by Icarus »

earthbrah wrote:Though I don't think the situation is very likely, SRD created the arghuleh and used them in The Second Chronicles. Because of that, I have to believe that we'll see them again in some capacity.

He doesn't seem to be leaving any stone unturned. At the same time, it doesn't seem to fit that these beasts are the banes talked about in this thread, what stirred the Fire Lions. Still, I'd like to see them in battle one more time!
Hmm.. Maybe along the lines of the 'that which is evil need not always be' vein of thinking...

Perhaps the icy arghuleh are somehow recruited to battle the fiery skurj?
Freedom is an elusive concept. Some men hold themselves prisoner even when they have the power to do as they please and go where they choose, while others are free in their hearts even as shackles restrain them. - Herbert
Starkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Starkin »

Icarus wrote: Perhaps the icy arghuleh are somehow recruited to battle the fiery skurj?
Oh, cool idea! Of course, I can see the skurj just melting those icy guys into little puddles. :)
"Ah, my daughter, do not fear. You will not fail, however he may assail you. There is also love in the world. Be true."
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

On the subject of the arguleh, were they running south only because of the croyel, or was there something mentioned about the fires in the north driving them southward? If I'm remembering right about that, it suggests some interesting possibilities regarding Kastenessen's escape.
callback
Woodhelvennin

Post by callback »

Murrin wrote:Googled:
Seems to be "fish" in Dutch. :lol:
Alternatively, according to one result "viska" is "(long) live" in Catalan
So: Quell Visk = kill life?
Quelle Visk = source fish

THE ONE FISH!!!! They bait a fishing rod with the Worm of the World's End to catch him!!!!
fleshharrower
Servant of the Land

Post by fleshharrower »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:I read it that way too.
Kastenessen was the Durance much like I understood the Elohim that turned into the Colossus.
They were the "battery" that powered the construct (durance and colossus) that held them.
(I also like where SRD is going with the whole Elohim fear certain constructs idea!)
Then are we also assuming that Kast was able to slip his bonds because Jeremiah created a "construct" that he was unable to refuse? In essence, a "door" that allowed him to remove himself from his imprisonment?
maintain the rage
...I will make Revelwood a charnel, and use Revelstone for an offal ground.
Skurj Scourge
Woodhelvennin

Post by Skurj Scourge »

Thinking about Kevin's Dirt: Is it possible that its effect could be reversed... and by that I don't mean mitigated, but flipped...rather than dampening the ability to use Earthpower, perhaps Linden can "heal" the bane that creates it to increase the ability of those under its influence to use Earthpower.

Just a thought...
Get that friggin' croyel offa me!
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Skurj Scourge wrote:Thinking about Kevin's Dirt: Is it possible that its effect could be reversed... and by that I don't mean mitigated, but flipped...rather than dampening the ability to use Earthpower, perhaps Linden can "heal" the bane that creates it to increase the ability of those under its influence to use Earthpower.

Just a thought...
nice thought.. like flipping a positron to make it an electron. That would cause Kevin's Dirt to be named something else.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Skurj Scourge
Woodhelvennin

Post by Skurj Scourge »

Kevin's Light, perhaps?
Get that friggin' croyel offa me!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

fleshharrower wrote:Then are we also assuming that Kast was able to slip his bonds because Jeremiah created a "construct" that he was unable to refuse? In essence, a "door" that allowed him to remove himself from his imprisonment?
I'm not. Roger stated "No, he slipped out. Which he managed to do by becoming part skurj himself."
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

If he "slipped out", I see that meaning one of two things. The Durance itself is a creation made to hold him, separate from him, something he could slip past only by doing something unexpected. Or,

he is the Durance, his essence was rearranged by the other Elohim somehow to keep him and the skurj in place. Thus, by merging with them he re-altered this essence whereby enabling him to slip past himself. His nature was changed, and so he was able to exceed his own limitation, that is, the Durance that was him.

:?:

(Does this line of thought belong on "Durances and Appointed"?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Once again, I feel that understanding the Durance as something to bind Kastenessen is incorrect. The Durance was a prison for the skurj, and was named Durance because of this role.

So when Kastenessen was slipping out, he wasn't escaping the Durance, as he was not imprisoned by the Durance.

But Kastenessen was bound by the Elohim to *be* the Durance. This binding is not the Durance itself. This binding is the will of the Elohim and the strictures of the Appointed.

This binding is what Kastenessen slipped free from.

In other words, we have a being who is imprisoned in order to become a prison. Prisons on top of prisons. We need to recognize which prison we speak of when we speak of one.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”