Finish this sentence from Runes.

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Finish this sentence from Runes.

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Well, when I was reading Runes about a month ago, this particular sentence kind of stuck out for me (p. 360):

"The scale of his distress made her want to vomit."

Vomit? Vomit? Somehow, "vomit" seems a little beneath SRD to me. That's all I could think; SRD must've been sleepy when he wrote that particular sentence. He should've been able to come up with something better than "Vomit." So I'm going to toss it out to everyone here, can you come up with a better ending for that sentence? Here's mine (I'm sure that others can do better):

"The scale of his distress made her want to exhale a chiaroschuro of partially digested treasure-berries."
Chassit
Giantfriend

Re: Finish this sentence from Runes.

Post by Chassit »

Farm Ur-Ted wrote:"The scale of his distress made her want to exhale a chiaroschuro of partially digested treasure-berries."
eeeEEEEwww!! :sick:

Okay...

"The scale of his distress made her want to consider the possibility of revisiting what she had eaten for breakfast, even though she knew that in doing so it might be tepid instead of hot and maybe slimier and colored differently, and not quite as cohesive as it had been when she'd tasted it the first time."

?
"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares about more than his personal safety; is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. "
- John Stuart Mill, English philosopher
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Chassit wrote:"The scale of his distress made her want to consider the possibility of revisiting what she had eaten for breakfast, even though she knew that in doing so it might be tepid instead of hot and maybe slimier and colored differently, and not quite as cohesive as it had been when she'd tasted it the first time."

?
Dang, you blew me out of the water. Awesome!
Chassit
Giantfriend

Post by Chassit »

Thankee-sai. :oops:

It was right down there with "It was a dark and stormy night." :lol:

I like your... curuschiaro, or whatever it was... :)
"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares about more than his personal safety; is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. "
- John Stuart Mill, English philosopher
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

Uh, how about,
"The scale of his distress made her want to ablute the ground with the putrefacation she felt swelling up from deep within her prescient and visceral innards, annealing the verdant landscape with argent and crimson vitriol."
?
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." Bill Hingest ("That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis)

"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

rusmeister wrote:Uh, how about,
"The scale of his distress made her want to ablute the ground with the putrefacation she felt swelling up from deep within her prescient and visceral innards, annealing the verdant landscape with argent and crimson vitriol."
?
SRD, is that you? :biggrin:
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

LOL Rusmeister! A most excellent example of SRDism!
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

..You gotta fit 'Puisance' in there somewhere too.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

exigency.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

Well, how about,
"The puissant scale of his distress made her want to ablute the ground with the putrefication she felt roiling in and swelling up from deep within her prescient and visceral innards, annealing the verdant landscape with the argent and crimson vitriol of her exigent need."
?

(At this point it becomes a high-school insert-vocab game)
PS - no idea how you guys do the smilies. They are supposedly enabled for me.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." Bill Hingest ("That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis)

"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

rusmeister wrote:Well, how about,
"The puissant scale of his distress made her want to ablute the ground with the putrefication she felt roiling in and swelling up from deep within her prescient and visceral innards, annealing the verdant landscape with the argent and crimson vitriol of her exigent need."
?

(At this point it becomes a high-school insert-vocab game)
PS - no idea how you guys do the smilies. They are supposedly enabled for me.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!! :biggrin: Rusmeister that is AWESOME!!! I felt a touch of SRD with me when I read that...
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Frisson has to be in there somewhere too.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

rusmeister wrote:"The scale of his distress made her want to ablute the ground with the putrefacation she felt swelling up from deep within her prescient and visceral innards, annealing the verdant landscape with argent and crimson vitriol."
Then he "shrugs".
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.
NightBlaze
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by NightBlaze »

LOL...I was just thinking of "Liseys Story" by Stephen King. 'she was gonna toss her cookies, donate her lunch to the sink, puke her guts out, worship the porceline god'....LOL....I cant even imagine why that had to be there. Picturing Linden vomiting is, well, to quote someone else here, is beneath SRD.
¥ NightBlaze ¥
Workshop Creation
Stonedownor

Post by Workshop Creation »

Farm Ur-Ted wrote:Well, when I was reading Runes about a month ago, this particular sentence kind of stuck out for me (p. 360):

"The scale of his distress made her want to vomit."

Vomit? Vomit? Somehow, "vomit" seems a little beneath SRD to me. That's all I could think; SRD must've been sleepy when he wrote that particular sentence. He should've been able to come up with something better than "Vomit." So I'm going to toss it out to everyone here, can you come up with a better ending for that sentence? Here's mine (I'm sure that others can do better):

"The scale of his distress made her want to exhale a chiaroschuro of partially digested treasure-berries."
See, even with SRD's writing style, he doesn't use as many specific adjectives as the ones you've told us, nor is it absolutely beneath him to pick a 'simple' yet vivid and vile word from his immense vocabulary.
He had already used simple and vile words before that sentence. That whole page and a half has something to do with general puking.

You don't necessarily need detailed specifics of puking anyway.

"The scale of his distress made her want to -place one word here related to puking-."

"The scale of his distress made her want to overhaul her Kinda-suprise deep in her bowels to the barring of her teeth, which she had stored there for an unacknowledged amount of time. From the taste, she began to wonder where and when in the world she had eaten a Kinda-suprise."
alanm
Ramen

Post by alanm »

the scale of her distress made her want to see if she had had any diced carrot for her last meal

The Humbled
Ramen

Post by The Humbled »

Workshop Creation wrote: See, even with SRD's writing style, he doesn't use as many specific adjectives as the ones you've told us, nor is it absolutely beneath him to pick a 'simple' yet vivid and vile word from his immense vocabulary.
He had already used simple and vile words before that sentence. That whole page and a half has something to do with general puking.

You don't necessarily need detailed specifics of puking anyway.

"The scale of his distress made her want to -place one word here related to puking-."
I vote "retch".
As in "The scale of his distress made her want to retch."
Sounds like SRD. She might also rend something whilst retching.
thefirst
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thefirst »

we've all dedicated so much of our time to reading SRD's work and this entire web site was created more or less in homage to Himself, so why are we questioning, the use of one descriptive word, and thereby insinuating that we could do it better? If we could, we'd all be on the Best Seller List don't you think? Not intending to sound high and mighty or anything like that, it just seems a little ironic to me. Besides, authors have been using the term "vomit" since the Bible was translated, I'd say that means it has staying power. Or do I just sound like a jerk?
Has anyone seen my keys?
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Retch and vomit carry different meanings anyway.

Vomit means to throw up; speak lunch; give forth a technicolor yawn; blow chunks; chunder; play 'guess what I just ate'; CSI-lunch; meal - the sequel; toss the cookies; take a ride on the v-train; summon the ghost of breakfast past...

Retch means to vomit whether you have stomach contents or not; to vomit air; blow chunks of nothing. Different meaning.

I think vomit, while overused in regular parlance, is the accepted medical term - which is the most logical choice for Linden to access.

Having said all that... he might have also chosen "...disgorge her erst viands." :)

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
The Humbled
Ramen

Post by The Humbled »

Which is why I liked "retch". It's a gag reflex brought on by revulsion, not by something she et.

But SRD's version is aight by me!
:shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”