Who's life did Thomas....

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Fist semi-suggested:
in her delusional world - where she was Covenant's queen and mother of his love-child - she was happy.
I don't think it was the rape that sent her crazy, it was the abandonment. She could have lived in her real world and been happy in it, if only Covenant were still with her. It was the lack of him that she couldn't live with.

I'm not saying the rape wasn't distressing to her, it obviously was. But if Covenant had taken her along with him when he left Mithil Stonedown, she would have stayed sane.

From Covenant's viewpoint at the time, taking her along would have been admitting the Land was real. You can't have responsibility to a delusion.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

That's an interesting angle, but I'm not sure I like it. :) If there were rl cases where we thought the teenage rape victim would be happy if she were allowed to be with the rapist, would we even consider allowing it? What crazy things might he have told her - things like "I'm the only chance for this world's survival" - that would make her happy with what he's done? I'd assume there was a good deal of brainwashing going on.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Zephalephelah
Banned

Re: Interesting

Post by Zephalephelah »

Zephalephelah wrote:I knew a girl that enjoyed her experience with rape.

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

There are plenty of cases where men have convinced themselves the girl would like it if only she were forced past her own inhibitions.

Hogwash. It would be a rationalization if there were anything rational about it.

Zeph, I'm not saying this case you're talking about isn't true, but it's got to be an extraordinarily rare case. It could also encourage more of those "rationalizations" in men who are incapable of thinking rationally.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Zephalephelah, are you talking about enjoyment in that it was physically/sexually arousing, or enjoyment in that she had fun, would like to experience it again? Because there is a big difference there. Many victims of rape and sexual abuse think that they asked for it because they got aroused. But the thing is, when you stimulate certain body parts they often react whether you want them to or not, whther you want them to be stimulated or not. So a person can be rapd and enjoy the sex itself, yet still not want it to happen.

In my opinion, rape should always be considered a completely unenjoyable experience. That way rapists can't use revolting justifications for what amounts to nothing more than seual violence.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Zephalephelah
Banned

Post by Zephalephelah »

I don't know. I didn't ask.
Blue_Spawn
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Blue_Spawn »

I'm not at all surprised, actually. There are many cases where raped victims protect their abusers (aka beaten wifes, abused children, etc). Its a matter of brainwashing. I guess Lena was pretty *dum dum* in the head. Though at first, I could never imagine her that way. I mean, she seemed very lively in the beggining, but I wouldn't say it fit her character to be so screwed up as to get violently ravished by a guy and then try to conciel that it ever happened. Kinda said that there are people out there in the world that can be so manipulated.

*sorry for going off topic*

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”