What's the most unsettling part of the Chronicles?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

What's the most unsettling part of the Chronicles?

Post by Landwaster »

Spoilers exist in the following for those that haven't finished the books :

I still cringe every time I recall the awful moment when TC discovered a razor blade in the bun. In a physical sense, that was horrifically sickening.

But that's just the thought of pain and physical damage. More depressing was the downfall of Revelwood, and of course that of the Seareach Giants.

The sudden awareness I had in WGW that population of the land was down to probably 1000 infirm an invalid folks, some villages simply empty. Hollian and Sunder thinking their kid so important, perhaps thinking there might only be three or four other kids or parents young/fit enough to have some left.

SRD likes yucky.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The destruction of Soaring Woodhelvin ranks up there... or young Pietten licking blood. But there is, of course, one thing I warn everybody about when I lend them Lord Foul's Bane. Lena's rape.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Yep Soaring of course!

The rape happened a bit too quick to fully disturb me at the time, I mean the character development hadn't grown enough. Therefore as I got further in, it had more impact, but this was gradual.

It sort of shocked and then flew off quickly. It lent more to explaining Covenant than it did to smacking us with the scene of a crime.

That was my take on it, anyway.
AMOK
Stonedownor

Post by AMOK »

The part that spooks me the most is during the Illearth War when the lords and the bloodguard meet the lurker, then the dead giants. It still gives me shivers when I think about it. Ya gotta love it!!
But hear then, for good or ill. I fulfill the law of my creation. My maker can require no more of me.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

The Raver Kinslaughterer eating the brains of his victims. Makes me sick to my stomach AND scares the crap out of me. :mrgreen:
Love as thou wilt.

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Yeah the genocide of the the Giants at the hands of the Giant-Raver, definitely.

Though did he eat their brains, or simply blast them to the ground and then stomp around in them?

The deaths of some of the Lords in Illearth War were pretty horrendous, though each also came with some large or small amount of valiance.

Post by Guest »

he ate them. 8O
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Crikey, I must have blocked that out! only read that about 2 weeks ago, too.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

the most unsettling: Covenant's behaviour at the burial scene after the massacre of Soaring Woodhelven; every time I read it I want to go there and punch him in the stomach
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

That's a fair call, choosing to have the staff burnt and so on ...
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Call me a romantic--but Salty sinking in2 the lava in TPTP--on my first read I truly tought he was dead. Talk about ur caamora! 8O
fall far and well Pilots!
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Yeah I thought he was done for, too. His return was quite touching!

Post by Guest »

when elena comes on to her dad bare assed naked! that was nasty!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

hey guest why not join up .. and register so we can call you by ... err .. a name or something .. :wink: :wink:

its quite painless .. :wink: :wink: LOL
when elena comes on to her dad bare assed naked! that was nasty!
LOL .. mmm .. yeah that was weird :?

the whole intro to the 2nd chrons for me was disturbing .. the loss of the Land TC had come to care for .. given back - 'broken' .. the whole blood-lust thing .. well you know the whole .. blood-letting concept .. The clave .. and their lust for haruchai blood .. the entire concept .. ewwww .. always gives me the creeps ..

the lack of the inhabitants of the Land's respect for their lore and the Land .. their ignorance of its inherent earth-power .. it was such a shock .. to read what had become of these people .. I revered so much ..

and everything you all mentioned too .. I too loathed the 'religous' folk who treated TC which such cruel indignity .. which later developed into active contempt .. ie:the razor in the bun .. like where do these people come from????

they constantly feigned religous peity and purity .. they made me sick to my stomach :cry:

and I get what you mean re: Lena's rape Landwaster ..
It sort of shocked and then flew off quickly. It lent more to explaining Covenant than it did to smacking us with the scene of a crime.
I guess maybe thats because no indictable crime relative to our legal understanding did occur .. but thats my take on it ..
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Now that I've thought about it a bit more, there's more from the Illearth War that bothers me, too. The whole fight between the Raver and Lord Verement when the Raver starts taking over the Lord's mind without physical contact (before that I'd thought that a Raver had to be in contact with someone to take them over) and the Bloodguard kills the Lord. It gave me shivers. And it bothered me when Hile Troy went mad with fear and gets really paranoid and turns against his Bloodguard. That gave me the creeps, too. And the whole thing from the Second Chronicles with the blood. Like Skyweir said. That whole thing just seemed ... wrong. and very creepy.
Love as thou wilt.

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

When Linden tried to knock off Cail, that twisted the guts a little. The Sandgorgon's attack on Hergrom also, but I suppose that's pretty obvious.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Another one, just reminded of it as read this part today, is Sunder carrying dead Hollian with him along the Soulsease, and trying to feed her aliantha in Andelain.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

oh yeah when Linden tried to kill Cail that was the pitts!! really weird .. very disturbing indeed!!
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Ooh, I forgot about that part, yes, that was horrible. I really wondered about her sanity when she did that.
Love as thou wilt.

Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I STILL question her sanity! :lol:

I dont really feel like going through all the posts, but all of Covenant's descriptions of leprosy were graphic, and his story about the woman almost made me cry. His own leprosy was nasty, too.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”