Perdido Street Station / The Witcher Game

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Perdido Street Station / The Witcher Game

Post by Dawngreeter »

I grabbed up this book the other day and have been slightly broken from the standard fantasy thinking because of it. The book is definitely different in a very good way.

Anyway not sure where I should have posted this but - I recently have been playing this really fun RPG called The Witcher while reading PSS and Wow! There are some pretty obvious similarities - New Crobuzon in the novel is pretty much the grungy Temple Quarter in the game. The use of potions & alchemical themes, they even have the same name of a certain swamp creature - vodyanoi. Anyway good (so far) book & very cool game.
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The Witcher is incredible.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

Ok, I found out a little more about this.

"The Witcher is based on a series of books by Andrzej Sapkowski, written and published in Poland long before "Perdido Street Station"..."

.....vodyanoi is a Russian legendary creature, so it was borrowed directly from the legends, not from Mieville's books."

Nonetheless I think that there was quite a bit of Mieville reading while this game was being built.
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I keep hearing good things about China Mieville, but haven't gotten around to reading him yet. And I have yet to become accustomed to the idea that China is a male name. :P

Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Wyldewode wrote:I keep hearing good things about China Mieville, but haven't gotten around to reading him yet. And I have yet to become accustomed to the idea that China is a male name. :P
You're further ahead than I am... I have yet to become accustomed to the idea that China is a person's name :P
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Xar wrote:
Wyldewode wrote:I keep hearing good things about China Mieville, but haven't gotten around to reading him yet. And I have yet to become accustomed to the idea that China is a male name. :P
You're further ahead than I am... I have yet to become accustomed to the idea that China is a person's name :P
Srsly it's like culture shock english ppl have weird names.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Yes. . . Suddenly it has become popular to name children after countries. First it was cities (Florence, Austin, Dallas), now countries (Ireland, China). Natural progression would be continents (America, Antartica). And after that? How about Pangea? :P

Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Wyldewode wrote:Yes. . . Suddenly it has become popular to name children after countries. First it was cities (Florence, Austin, Dallas), now countries (Ireland, China). Natural progression would be continents (America, Antartica). And after that? How about Pangea? :P
Well, actually, this is because SOME of these countries really are people names. Stephen F Austin, (Sam Houston's another texas city/name) and Amerigo Vespucchi was one of the men to discover america (there are a series of letters published by him which detail some of his explorations).

I am going to name my daughter Pangea and my son Gondwanaland. I'll adopt a kid and change his/her name to afroeurasia.

Maybe we can start on obscure phylums etc from living things. Who wants to name their little girl Archaea? A son named Echinoderm?
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Archaea does have a certain cachet. . . :D

Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

Ok, back to the topic...

Been reading this pretty slowly but wow the action has picked and again I am finding more & more connections to the Witcher game. I can't be the only one who has read PSS and played the Witcher?! Loremaster, have you read PSS?
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Dawngreeter wrote:Loremaster, have you read PSS?
If I can find a copy. :)
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
krzycho
Servant of the Land

Post by krzycho »

Dawngreeter wrote:Ok, I found out a little more about this.

Nonetheless I think that there was quite a bit of Mieville reading while this game was being built.
Oh, I do not think so ! :) The Witcher saga by Sapkowski is something absolutely out of the ordinary-and this computer game was based only on it :) You may check it if you want- the first book, "The last wish", has been transalted into English and is available, for example on Amazon www.amazon.com/Last-Wish-Andrzej-Sapkow ... 706&sr=1-2

It's really worth reading, I may assure you :)

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”