What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

For me, Martin's Fevre Dream is a masterpiece. A stunning novel.
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

I thought Fevre Dream was a good novel. But Fevre Dream to the majority of horror novels, as compared to Song of Ice and Fire to the majority of epic fantasy novels, no contest. That's an awkward way to phrase it, but I can't think of a better way.

GRRM is a solid sf and horror writer. But he's an almost unparalleled genius at epic fantasy. I just hope he doesn't get sidetracked and decide, for instance, that Fevre Dream needs a sequel . . . or that Analog could use a couple of insightful sf short stories. Then we'll never see the end of his true masterpiece.
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Ermingard wrote:I'm reading a hilarious book called "The well of lost plots" by Jasper Fforde.
It's the third book in a series beginning with "The Eyre Affair", the second is called "Lost in a good book" The books are an extermely funny mixture of one part detecitve story, one part alternative future one part regular fantasy and one part "Alice in Wonderland"
Read them! :)
Thank you, Ermingard! I didn't know there was a third one. I haven't read the books yet, but I am in awe of the concept of going inside the classics of literature and repairing their story lines.

I'm reading James White's short story collection MONSTERS AND MEDICS. As some of you know, he is wonderful at creating aliens.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Ermingard
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Ermingard »

Well you're welcome :)
You are in for a treat! Best books I've read in a long while. Funny, intelligent well written and exciting! :D
"It is impossible for human nature to believe that money is not there. It seems so much more likely that the money is there and only needs bawling for."
--Dorothy Sayers, Busman's Honeymoon
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I unearthed THE EYRE AFFAIR from my TBR shelves, where it had been totally lost. At least it's in the top tray now. Before Herbert & Anderson's DUNE sequels -- but under a lot of other things... :(
Blue_Spawn
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Blue_Spawn »

You guys need to start reading Dragonlance! The greatest fantasy series EVER!

*please note the "volumenieux" amount of sarcasm in that statement*
Ermingard
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Ermingard »

But it's always fun to have a lot to read ;) When you have time to do it that is.
Right now I've run out of new books :hairs:
Must... have... books... bookstore... closed...Must ... go...to... library... :crazy:
"It is impossible for human nature to believe that money is not there. It seems so much more likely that the money is there and only needs bawling for."
--Dorothy Sayers, Busman's Honeymoon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Not SF, but currently reading the Axbrewer mysteries by Donaldson and Diary by Chuck Palahniuk.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Syl wrote:Not SF, but currently reading the Axbrewer mysteries by Donaldson and Diary by Chuck Palahniuk.
Responding in the Reed Stephens forum...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Cool, responded
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Wow, I finished the Dragonbone Chair last night - it is a really great book. For some reason it reminds me of aSoIaF a little, though I can't work out why.
Too bad I have to wait til christmas for the next book...
TRC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by TRC »

Finishing WGW ,re-read the TCTC this summer, getting ready to re-read the Dark Towers with the new editions
Yes I guess we can all just get along !

Smurfy, simply Smurfy !!!

WWW.CALDERWOODBOOKS.COM
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

The Dark Tower rocks TRC, your in for a wild ride :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Daughter of Regals. Speaking of which, is there a "Short story" division under the SRD part of KW?
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I think there are some threads for some of the individual stories. If you want to talk about one and there is no thread for it, please go ahead and start one. :)
I'm glad you are enjoying the Tad Williams, Murrin. :)
Love as thou wilt.

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

MEGATON dAN wrote:Daughter of Regals. Speaking of which, is there a "Short story" division under the SRD part of KW?
Under the "Reed Stephens and Other Works" forum. Please do, dAN, we need more posters in that forum.
Blue_Spawn
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Blue_Spawn »

Foundation by Isaac Asimov....the book is like 85 years old. Its amazing!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Yes, Foundation is amazing.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Yes, Foundation is an oldie and a goodie. :)
I just finished Tuf Voyaging, a science fiction novel by George R. R. Martin, which I really enjoyed. It is about a small time interstellar trader who comes upon a thousand year old 30k long "seed ship" -- the ultimate biological weapon, as it contains DNA from countless species from a thousand worlds...Tuffy is one of Martin's wonderfully drawn characters, and I also love his cats! 8)
I am in the middle of a general novel by a great science fiction writer, Dan Simmons, called Phases of Gravity. It is the story of an Apollo astronaut's midlife crisis...very well written... 8)
I started George R. R. Martin's dark rock 'n' roll fantasy The Armageddin Rag tonight...written around a fictionals 60's rock band called the Nazgul...I am only a chapter into it, but it seems to be pretty intriguing... 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I have TUF VOYAGING -- and don't forget WINDHAVEN! -- but couldn't find anything of his except the I&F series at the bookstore last time I went.

Yes, I know the TBR stack has turned into a collection in itself. What's the use in worrying about it?

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”