Who are your favorite "bit part" chars and why?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

matrixman wrote:
Tsukasa Logged Out wrote:
Somehow, I picture Foul listening to Beethoven.

More likely Wagner, I think. Wink

Are you crazy? Foul is EVIL. EVIL.
You know what he listens to? Spoiler:
Debbie Boone's "You light up my life."
:lol: And when he really wants to party, he mixes it up with The Captain and Tenille's "Muskrat Love."

But actually I love Suzy Thurston, maybe because I recognize something in her... but I was always a little dissatisfied we never found out more about her or why Berek did so much for her.

Also I'm having a total blank on who the woman was who was under Hile Troy's command who did so much although it seemed to really cost her.
perpetualchange
Woodhelvennin
Location: Close enough to friggin' drive to Elohimfest woo-hoo!

Post by perpetualchange »

ninjaboy wrote:The Griffins were definately bit-parts.. lol.. As are - seemingly the Fire Lions..

But i definately liked Quaan - "sure I'll just run off with a pitiful army right into the massed force of Lord Foul's Minions! It'll be a laugh!"

And Hamako
Quaan is definitely one of my favorites of all time.Although he played too large of a role to be a bit character I think......
"Speak to me of summer,
long winters longer
than time can remember"

"I still remember the talks by the water
the proud sons and daughters
that knew the knowledge of the land
spoke to me in sweet accustomed ways"
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I liked Quaan, because he was one of the few who didn't like Covenant...

One of my favorite line, was after the Battle of Soaring Woodhelven, when TC ws going on about "a couple of corpses" Quaan grabbed him by his arm and whispered something like "Speak one more word and I will break your arm"
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

deer of the dawn wrote: I'm having a total blank on who the woman was who was under Hile Troy's command who did so much although it seemed to really cost her.
That would be First Haft Amorine. Yes, she (along with Quaan and Mhoram) bore the brunt of Troy's tantrums, but remained faithful to his command. She was pretty distraught by Troy's fate at the hands of Wildwood.

Speaking of Troy, that reminds me of another peripheral character who made an impression: Ruel, the Bloodguard assigned to Troy. Ruel was betrayed by Troy during the attack of the creatures from the Vortex of Trepidation. Troy went whacko and knocked Ruel unconscious with a rock, leaving the Bloodguard to die in the claws of one of the creatures.
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

Lina Heartlistener wrote:Also, I remember another of my favorite ones is the leprous woman Covenant tells the story of... the one who just kept dancing and making friends and ignoring her leprosy, until "practically nothing was left of her but a smile"... (someone didn't absorb her indoctrination as she was "supposed to")
That story always gets to me, too.

I wonder, given the reaction of the Lords. WAS it actually prophecy, do you think?
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
ff7hero
Servant of the Land

Post by ff7hero »

Small note, while Covenant thinks that Suzy Thurston calls him "Berek" he calls her and finds out she had thought he was her first manager, "Berret" (Or Barrett, I don't have my books with me).
But my favorite bit character would have to be the woman how protects Covenant at Soaring Woodhelvin in LFB. She doesn't even have a name, but she keeps coming back up in Covenant's head.
Last edited by ff7hero on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<i>No ordinary fire can harm me. But the pain - the pain teaches many things.</i>-Saltheart Foamfollower, last of the Unhomed
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

Tricok' staunch ally Quirrel was great; at one point she saves Triocks life and he attempts to embrace her, but she seems vaguely embarrassed at the show of emotion 'cuz she's such a hard nut .. too bad she copped it from turiya Raver ..
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Relayer wrote:Well, for one thing we get a chapter from Triock's POV, so we get to know some of what he's thinking and has experienced in his life. We never get that for Trell.
Oh, umm... funny thing, when reading SRD's stuff, half the time I never quite realize that a given chapter is from a particular person's POV... I just assume that it is absolute truth about what's happening in the world from until the person starts thinking things that are really suspect. :o Ahhh, the perils of being an "NF" (personality type), and reading the writing of someone who is greatly trying to built empathy with the chars.
SGuilfoyle1966 wrote:That story always gets to me, too.

I wonder, given the reaction of the Lords. WAS it actually prophecy, do you think?
Only because the Lords tend to be rather wise about that sort of thing. I can't trace it and get specific and point out parallel details, except for the general tendency of the Land and its inhabitants to be so opposite to Covenant (who Covenant is when he first enters the land) in the area of "holding out hope against all odds and in spite of high costs." It's the question of "what is most important?", "what is most valuable?"
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Lina Heartlistener wrote:
Relayer wrote:Well, for one thing we get a chapter from Triock's POV, so we get to know some of what he's thinking and has experienced in his life. We never get that for Trell.
Oh, umm... funny thing, when reading SRD's stuff, half the time I never quite realize that a given chapter is from a particular person's POV... I just assume that it is absolute truth about what's happening in the world from until the person starts thinking things that are really suspect. :o Ahhh, the perils of being an "NF" (personality type), and reading the writing of someone who is greatly trying to built empathy with the chars.
Then you must really have fun w/ the Gap constantly changing POV...

Fraid I don't understand what you mean about being NF. That's intuitive-feeling, I'm NF too. Should be perfect for reading Donaldson ;-)
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Relayer wrote:Then you must really have fun w/ the Gap constantly changing POV...
I actually haven't read the Gap series, and doubt I ever will... Chrons is quite enough to handle, thank-you. Though I was thinking of making a quip like, "drives me crazy when I try to read WOT," except that in reality, in WOT the different POV's are alot more obvious, if I remember rightly. Now Moddesitt... occasionally shifting out to an "external-to-chars POV where he's talking about a bunch of anonymously-identified people who you don't know yet" - THAT drove me batty.
Relayer wrote:Fraid I don't understand what you mean about being NF. That's intuitive-feeling, I'm NF too. Should be perfect for reading Donaldson ;-)
*cough* Right, perfect. Doesn't make it seem more painful at all.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
lord.trax
Stonedownor

Post by lord.trax »

My favorite CoTC character is Thomas Covenant himself, because he reminds me on myself. Anyway, he's the most complexed character in the series...
Serbian epic poem:
"...Zeman došo, valja vojevati,
Za krst časni krvcu proljevati
Svako svoje sa pokaje stare..."
"...The time has come,
It's time to battle
To spill our blood for The Holy Cross,
To avenge our elders..."
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Right and we have tons of threads devoted to him, what I haven't seen in along time is a thread asking why, exactly, and how you identify with TC. We had one a long while ago, but not recently. Feel free to start a thread about that lord.trax.

Given the majesty of what Hamako was associated with in TWL and WGW I just can't see him as a bit character-He seriously rocked! I'd have to rank him in my all time 5 character list along with Vain and TC.
fall far and well Pilots!
lord.trax
Stonedownor

Post by lord.trax »

Well... I'm a sociopath as Covenant is. Not as much as Covenant is but I find many situations in the books where I would react in the same way. I always felt rejected, but my reasons are different. In town where I used to live, I couldn't really find a friend who would completely understand me. Only a bunch of illiterate boys and girls who show no interest in anything. There were lots of good students in my school, but non of them had any interest in common with me.
Serbian epic poem:
"...Zeman došo, valja vojevati,
Za krst časni krvcu proljevati
Svako svoje sa pokaje stare..."
"...The time has come,
It's time to battle
To spill our blood for The Holy Cross,
To avenge our elders..."
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I was too...I had serious problems with the world. I just think we need to make a new thread and not diverge from "bit parts" TC is as major a part as you can get.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

You people have drifte well beyond "bit players" in this discussion.

Just sayin'. :biggrin:
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Yes, and as moderator I wish attempting to drift it back, thanks for the backup wise gal! :biggrin: (just saying, of course)
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

:biggrin:
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

not sure if anyone remembers this or not but.. SRD describes Memla of the clave as having blunt features and describing her exactly as he described the Unfettered lady from morinmoss, and ends the thought with.. she looked like someone he, Covenant had seen before or should know...

and my favorite bit characters are

Lord Calendril - Strength and his ability to inspire awe in Mhoram after speaking through the staff & lillianril rod from kevins watch.

Triock - persistance and forgiveness or as close as he could get to it.

Hamako - for reminding me of what Triock would have been like had he not held 40 years worth of reason to hate Thomas covenant.

Tohrm - for taking the burden from Mhoram and facing Trell during his moment of desecration.

the Jeherrin/sur Jeherrin - for Helping even though they thought their hope was gone.

Amok - For riding a Sandgorgon.

Galewrath - for reminding me of Thelma two fist. and the scene where she picks up the brathair dockmaster by the neck.

the Waynhim - for trying to balance the Urviles Darkness with service to the land.
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

the oblivious girl who worked for the phone company.
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

Brother Matthew Logan, the fire and brimstone preacher laying down the wrath of God ..

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”