Dissection Sign Up by Chapters: HP and the PS/SS

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

OK all, I heard from Guns. He has some RL stuff going on and has requested we take a short break. He asks that we give him through American Thanksgiving before chapter seven goes up.

Since we're a casual group read and not a formal dissection group, I'm fine with that. Let me know if anyone disagrees.

In the meantime, I'm going to shift the deadlines again.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I can take on another unclaimed chapter if nobody else is volunteering. I'm willing to any one of em. :biggrin:
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Thanks Jenn!

I am still attempting to keep chapter dissections separate by poster, instead of having a poster do two in a row, if possible. So for now, do you want to take the final chapter to wrap things up? Chapter 17, The Man with Two Faces?

Also, since Guns posted both chapters 7 & 8, I'm going to shift the deadlines back up a week..
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Ok, chapter 17 works just fine.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:Ok, chapter 17 works just fine.
Done! And again, thanks!

If anyone else wishes to take on another chapter, or if some who have told me they're lurking, but were unsure how this all works wants to now step forward, chapters 13 and 15 are still available. C'mon...anyone can do a better job than me. ;)
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Menolly wrote:
Done! And again, thanks!

If anyone else wishes to take on another chapter, or if some who have told me they're lurking, but were unsure how this all works wants to now step forward, chapters 13 and 15 are still available. C'mon...anyone can do a better job than me. ;)
NOBODY can do a better job than you! ;)
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Seafoam Understone wrote:
Menolly wrote:
Done! And again, thanks!

NOBODY can do a better job than you! ;)
...digging toe into ground and blushing...

...awww geeee...

Thanks Seafoam.

...chapter nine attempt at a dissection is up...
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

I'll be glad to do Chapter Fifteen "The Forbidden Forest".
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Excellent Zahir!!!

Only chapter 13, "Nicholas Flamel" to go!

Any takers? Anyone??? How about some of our lurkers, now that they have seen how it works?

...c'mon...don't make me do it, I have to return the copy I have to the library soon...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Updated with dissectors and dissection deadlines.
Let me know if anything is a problem for anyone.
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Jenn's dissection comes up tomorrow. That'll end The Philosopher's/Sorcerers Stone.
Is that going to end the dissections?
Response has been very minimal. Most dissections arent' getting any response discussions at all.
Perhaps the interest wasn't really there?
Average replies are about 4 and most of those were "good jobs!" pats on the back.
The largest was the chapter that introduced Snape "The Potion's master at roughly 49 replies.
One wonders if previous discussions didn't kill the dissection? Or perhaps the idea was too soon after the release of the books?

So question is do we continue on with Chamber of Secrets? Hoping that eventually others will come and do dissections instead of last minute replacements and fill-ins?

Or am I being too cynical?

I was hoping that the idea of dissecting the series would take root and have a larger response because of the wonderful nature of the books and the way they're written with the growing mystery involving Harry's parents, Snapes and Voldemort.
That discussions ideas, insights, revelations, personal thoughts would fill out the weeks between chapters.

Or am I being too high on my expectations.

Many of the dissections were great the rest were very good. So the talent is there and the fault lies not with the way they were done. The replies however...

Thoughts?

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I've already discussed this with someone, who thought we would go right into CoS and continue with the series. My thought was interest either died off, or as you say, previous discussion smothered discourse on the dissections.

I am of the mind to take a break for awhile. Perhaps I'll post a poll about continuing on with CoS in a month or so. I was going to say this exact thing after Jenn posted her dissection, so you are not being too cynical, IMO.
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Speaking only for myself (obviously) I've been swamped with RL stuff. Otherwise, I'd be much more involved. But things are looking better.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Well okay, then lets take a break and hopefully those of us who are of mind (and reading this particular part of the thread --- maybe break this off to a new one??) will read over the dissections and put in their views/insights/input/ideas/comments etc. etc. etc.

This series is (like I said) far too rich to let it all go. Thus, okay after Jenn's final dissection then yeah I'd be for a break.

Glad to hear I wasn't being cynical. :biggrin:

Counselor
Servant of the Land

Post by Counselor »

I thought that I'd chip in (finally) to say that I enjoyed everyone's dissections and that I look forward to Year 2 - break or otherwise. I have been watching/reading without contribution for some time. I recently finished Year 7 with my (now) 12 year-old son and just finished Year 1 with my (about to be) 8 year-old daughter. The former awaits Movies 6 and 7, while the latter awaits Movie 1, so that we can move on to Year 2. I never expected to enjoy these books as much as I have. I now find myself re-reading HP as often as I am re-reading TC. If a Year 2 dissection comes to pass, I vow (Vow?) to contribute at least a chapter - if for no other reason than to show my gratitude for all of your efforts to date.
"Superfluity does not vitiate." - California Code of Civil Procedure §3537
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Welcome to the JKR sub-forum, Counselor. Nice to know there is unexpected interest in continuing and that you enjoyed the group read.

:biggrin:

Seafoam, I'll post a poll regarding interest in continuing on in a few weeks. I promise.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Seafoam Understone wrote:Jenn's dissection comes up tomorrow. That'll end The Philosopher's/Sorcerers Stone.
Is that going to end the dissections?
Response has been very minimal. Most dissections arent' getting any response discussions at all.
Perhaps the interest wasn't really there?
Average replies are about 4 and most of those were "good jobs!" pats on the back.
The largest was the chapter that introduced Snape "The Potion's master at roughly 49 replies.
One wonders if previous discussions didn't kill the dissection? Or perhaps the idea was too soon after the release of the books?

So question is do we continue on with Chamber of Secrets? Hoping that eventually others will come and do dissections instead of last minute replacements and fill-ins?

I was hoping that the idea of dissecting the series would take root and have a larger response because of the wonderful nature of the books and the way they're written with the growing mystery involving Harry's parents, Snapes and Voldemort.
That discussions ideas, insights, revelations, personal thoughts would fill out the weeks between chapters.

Or am I being too high on my expectations.

Many of the dissections were great the rest were very good. So the talent is there and the fault lies not with the way they were done. The replies however...

Thoughts?
I was just saying to Menolly the other day that the outright slow and/or falling off response rate is very typical for pretty much every group read I have seen at pretty much every board I've seen that tries to do one (including boards that are a heckuva lot bigger and busier than the Watch). It just seems to be the nature of the beast. :?

You can see that even for the TCTC reads when you look at Matrixman's stats.. :?

The Potter group read here was of a very high quality, even if it was a bit on the small side. And the people in it certainly seemed to enjoy it. :) I know I am really enjoying it reading through them now, having only recently reread the book. :)

And really - as long as people are enjoying it, and sharing their love for the book - isn't that what really matters, more than sheer numbers? :) 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

duchess of malfi wrote: I was just saying to Menolly the other day that the outright slow and/or falling off response rate is very typical for pretty much every group read I have seen at pretty much every board I've seen that tries to do one (including boards that are a heckuva lot bigger and busier than the Watch). It just seems to be the nature of the beast. :?

You can see that even for the TCTC reads when you look at Matrixman's stats.. :?

The Potter group read here was of a very high quality, even if it was a bit on the small side. And the people in it certainly seemed to enjoy it. :) I know I am really enjoying it reading through them now, having only recently reread the book. :)

And really - as long as people are enjoying it, and sharing their love for the book - isn't that what really matters, more than sheer numbers? :) 8)
You're quite right. The dissections were very good and I have to thank the dissectors of the TCTC books to help me understand how it's done (for my part).

By the way Duchess... your avatar is SOOO CUTE! ;)

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I for one would not mind keeping going. I also don't mind doing multiple chapters. I am very much enjoying participating and reading even if I don't comment that much. I find everyone's takes very fascinating and it's great to see different perspectives and personalities focusing and getting different reactions and feelings from the chapters. I say lets keep rolling! :biggrin: Or at the very least lets get the signing up for book two rolling! :P

Fuzzy_Logic
Woodhelvennin

Post by Fuzzy_Logic »

I'm up for book 2

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”