Liand

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Vain
Nom

Liand

Post by Vain »

You've probably discussed this somewhere but I couldn't find a topic for it.

Anyway, I think all is not right in the world of Liand. He's treacherous and I think he's one of the people that Foul whispered a few words of advice to. Maybe I'm wrong but there's something amiss with him.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I haven't picked up on this - what makes you think so?
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

He's too convenient - always at Linden's side and I think his using the Orcrest in Salva Gildenborne effectively summonsed the skurj.....I think he's a tool that Foul is using. I can't place it precisely but there's something afoot there.

Also, i think his wanderings outside of Mithil Stonedown (above Kevin's Dirt) opened him to Lord Foul's manipulations. I think the Haruchai are right in their assertion that the use of Earthpower aids Lord Foul.

Anyway, I may be wrong but then again :)
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I don't think he's treacherous. I think that he's just going to end up making some huge whopping mistake because he's so...well...Liand.

Stave says, after Liand makes that speech to the Woodhelvinin, "That is his peril. Corruption delights in the ruin of such innocence."

Besides, if that's true I'm going to be really annoyed. I love Liand! :P
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Yes. Maybe he is just a blundering idiot but I still think that Lord Foul controls him when he needs to and will make him mess things up. I'm not going to miss him - he grates me :)
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

I think I've seen some signs from Mahrtiir (spelling?), in terms of falling to despite, but I'm not that sure. As for liand, I think that he could make mistakes but I don't really see him as an intentional traitor (though the idea is interesting).
Bran Pendragon
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bran Pendragon »

Agree with most of the replies, if Foul gets him, it will be in a Hile Troy kind of naively playing into Foul's hands method, rather than Liand deliberately falling. I think either Liand's new Ramen girlie or Liand might not make it however - which will lead in turn to some major development. All the worries and fears she's been evincing for Liand have to be leading somewhere. I don't know, maybe I'm just projecting Sunder onto Liand and hence Hollian onto Ramen girlie.
Cshaw71
Stonedownor

Post by Cshaw71 »

Hmm I had actually gone the other way with this in thinking that Liand was going to master the orcrest and restore sometime of Lordship to the Land. But that is just me being gulliable to SRD's way of twisting stories. I seen Stave as LF's route to the Haruachi.
Try see it once my way
Everything Zen
--Bush (not the President or his Dad)
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

He definately is very convenient! Almost tooo convenient, when I think about it! I think he's there to show that there are still some goood, honest, traditional good guys in the Land - like Mhoram etc..

Though how his knowledge and use of the Orcrest developed extroadinarily quickly, i don't see any malice in him..

But thats what SD would want us to think!
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Liand is a product of the Masters.

If this is one of the well placed words by Foul. (For the Harachui to become the Masters) then Liand is a tool for Foul.

It can snowball into an advantage for Foul or backfired against him.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

ninjaboy wrote:I think he's there to show that there are still some goood, honest, traditional good guys in the Land - like Mhoram etc..
I certainly agree on that point.
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

Before we learned of Liand's feelings toward Pahni? (is that the right name bad memory), I expected LF to use his feelings (romantic?) towards LA and purhaps jealousy of TC (although I didn't expect him to become corporal) to turn him towards despite.
Sill
Woodhelvennin

Post by Sill »

Cshaw71 wrote:Hmm I had actually gone the other way with this in thinking that Liand was going to master the orcrest and restore sometime of Lordship to the Land. But that is just me being gulliable to SRD's way of twisting stories. I seen Stave as LF's route to the Haruachi.
As Stave said, I think it was him anyway, Liand was like the old Lords, "humble in their glory". I think Liand will be, like Sunder, a new type of Lord.
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

I had a distrust of Liand, because of his sheer convenience, in Runes. He was better developed and appears to be growing into something, in Fatal.
but, of course, that's just what SRD WANTS us to think. ...
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

He's the lurker of the sarangrave :)
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I don't like him either; however I do not think for an instant that he is a spy for Foul. The proof lies with Thomas Covenant, speaking through Anele. I think if anyone would know Liand to be a traitor, it would be him.
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

Do we actually know that it really was TC speaking through Anele, and not an impostor?
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Orcrest, Test of Truth. Liand wouldn't be able to use part of the One Stone if he was inherently false.
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

Revan wrote:Orcrest, Test of Truth. Liand wouldn't be able to use part of the One Stone if he was inherently false.
Unless he surpassed the test. (Which I admit is unlikely.)
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
Unfettered One
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Unfettered One »

Auleliel wrote:
Revan wrote:Orcrest, Test of Truth. Liand wouldn't be able to use part of the One Stone if he was inherently false.
Unless he surpassed the test. (Which I admit is unlikely.)
Well, he could only surpass the test if he was more powerful than the test administrator. In this case, though, he got the orcrest from the Aumbrie, so there was no test. He could still be false.

I think, though, that Liand will restore Earthpower to the Land's inhabitants in some unforeseen way. I'm not sure how Anele and Liand will interact, but I think they'll both play a part.

The only justification I have for this is RC/TC's disdain for "that little puppy."
Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience. - Albert Einstein

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

Return to “Fatal Revenant”