Things that are missed out in the film....

Not whitegold ring chat. The one ring chat.

Moderator: High Lord Tolkien

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Things that are missed out in the film....

Post by Revan »

But you wished were there. What are they? I'm fully aware they couldn't fit the entire contents of the book in the films, but we're not talking about whether they could or not, it's whether you'd liked them to put certain pieces back in. I would have liked them to include Anduril in the first film.
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Anduril was included in the Extended DVD wasnt it??

Tom Bombadil, although i have to agree with the omission cos it would have spoiled the continuity of the story , plot, film....but still ....:(
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Yeah, I'd have liked to have Old Bombadil in there as well.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

And more on the Ents would have been good.
Theo
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Theo »

I really missed the whole subplot of Saruman trying to doublecross Sauron, grab the Ring for himself and use it against him. And, on a related note, I would have liked to have more of the Grishnakh/Ugluk sequence early in TTT. We got a little bit more in the DVD version, but still not enough.

Alright, so I like orcs. :oops: Particularly when they actually get to be characters.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Me too Theo, though I do perfer Elves.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Theo wrote:I really missed the whole subplot of Saruman trying to doublecross Sauron, grab the Ring for himself and use it against him.
Yeah, and that's another thing I agree with you on Theo. There was no intented betrayal in the films, which annoyed me a bit.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I need to get the 4 disc versions to see what additional parts they have, but the Tom Bombadil part is tops on my list. Also, I wish Jackson would do The Hobbit while he has the chance to.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I think so too!
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

What the heck happened to to the whole battle at the Shire and with Saruman death / Wormtongue? I was bummed when that wasn't on the film.

Also I would have liked to see more of the extreme mental / power tension that was going on when Gandalf and everyone went to go talk to Saruman in Isengard when they got the Palantiri. ( that was a bad description)
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

In the movies Denethor was just an A-hole...but in the books, it was because he had ties (Via the seeing stone) to Sauron as well. It showed how much controll over the people Sauron already had; and that it wasn't Denothors fault.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

I would have been entertained by Sams conflict with Bill Ferny.
Wide Eyed Stupid
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

..and his love of his pony.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

I wasnt going to mention that.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

It should have been six movies. I'm serious. Break it up into parts just like the books, or pretty close to it. Even separate the stories so the audience would have had to wait a year before they got to see what Frodo was doing in TTT and ROTK. I loved the structure of the book.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I also liked the structure of the books more, though I find it interesting that the movies are chronologically more correct (I could be wrong; or rather, Peter Jackson could be wrong; he said it, not me).

Six films would be a monumental production--very consuming for the people working on it, who were already famously consumed by three films. Plus, I don't know if the average motion picture viewer would wait for six films to come out each year.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Agreed, Lord Foul. . . but the diehard fans would have. :D

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

drew wrote:In the movies Denethor was just an A-hole...but in the books, it was because he had ties (Via the seeing stone) to Sauron as well. It showed how much controll over the people Sauron already had; and that it wasn't Denothors fault.
whoa! I totally forgot about that, and I totally agree. his character portrayed in the movie was two-dimensional ... an A-hole father figure. It would have been monumentally more tragic if it was shown he was influenced by Sauron ... poor Faramir driven to near madness and despair over his father's repeated diminshment of his abilities ...
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

As it was the stress drove some people to divorce and other personal catastrophes - that or dropping out of film production. Not possible in the real world although I agree with the sentiment totally.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." Bill Hingest ("That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis)

"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

I can see why Tom Bombadil is missing (Tolkien himself was not exactly happy about him later as well, as can be read in the Letters) But it might have been possible to present him in a less ridicolous way than he appears in the novels - outfit wise.

What I miss more is the Old Man Willow - a nice foretaste (or Image as SDR would have written) of the whole Huorn/Ent theme later on.

And I wish they had casted someone else for Frodo. According to the book he is already 50 years old. Even if Hobbits slightly live longer than humans and the Ring kept him young, Frodo definately was not a teenager with google eyes as if he suffered from obstipation.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.

Return to “J.R.R. Tolkien Forum”