A thought on elohim

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

I tend to agree about the Elohim of the Colossus.

I also remember having read that GI answer about the Mahdoubt. (A text search reveals it's gone now. You can continue to read this post at your own risk, but I won't bother with spoiler tags since I'm only rehashing already publicized information.) I especially remember that her name and character has connections with someone called "the Shadout Mapes" from Dune. It's a very long time since I read Dune so I don't remember it myself, but after a little googling it appears that the Shadout Mapes was a housekeeper/Fremen spy.

So, I think the post that was deleted is grounds for thinking that while the Mahdoubt might not be a major character by herself (or maybe the speech-writer of Lord Foul was playing wordgames again - I can't check the original post to be sure), the faction she represents will turn out very significant. I suppose that particular GI answer was at the back of my mind when I formulated the particulars of my Demondim theory, which I still rather like. Now I tend to think that the Mahdoubt is a caesure spy. The caesures are certainly already having major influences on the plot, but the caesure called the Mahdoubt might well lose her temporary importance and mingle with the common Falls when Revelstone falls to the Demondim, or she might get exposed and killed.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

It wasn't deleted; it was never in the GI. It was in another interview.

www.cassell.co.uk/interview.aspx?ID=11373

P.S. Interesting sig.
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

Wayfriend wrote:Righto. The Collossus was not unbound. The power that supported it faded away. ...
Actually, as posted above from the text:

"the Sunbane had destroyed the forests, unbinding the will of wood which had upheld for millennia that stone monolith."

Sounds unbound to me!! ;) :P
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Thanks for the link Wayfriend, but I don't think that's the one. The one I'm thinking of clearly said something to the effect that he was surprised how much we were all debating who she was. But I may be mis-remembering. Nevertheless, his quote here implies she's just a housekeeper, but there are other quotes in the GI that imply much more...
In the GI, SRD sardonically wrote:The Mahdoubt is a subject on which I can't offer "spoilers" of any kind. This is firmly in the category of RAFO. (From which you may safely deduce that the story isn't done with her. <grin>)
What's interesting is that this is from 2005, but I think I read the GI about a year ago... more likely, Wayfriend is right.
_ _ _ _ _

The possibility that she represents caesures is interesting - the patchwork gown for one thing is telling. Nerdanel, what are the other main points of your theory? (I'd rather not have to surf 22 pages of the mahdoubt thread :))

If accurate, that then leads to: Joan creates the caesures. Is there a relationship between them? Did Joan somehow create the Mahdoubt, is the Mahdoubt like a mirror image of Joan? Each piece of the gown (a timeslice) was "given (or woven) in love" -- as opposed to Joan's self-hatred.

100 points to the first person who can correctly identify my sig :gandalf:
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

ROMEO!!! Are you saying we will not learn of the Mahdoubt's origin in FR?!?!?? You don't have to reveal the origin, but PLEASE tell me we will learn it!!!!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

My thoughts exactly Fist!! If the man who knows posted wondering ... then NOPE - we will not find out in FR ..... unless ..... Romeo is being EVIL and misdirecting!! :twisted:
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

I've put aside anything that I know (or don't know) about it in order to participate in the conversation. :-)

And even if we do find out something more about her, there's no way to tell if it's the *whole* story. And I don't take anything I read at face value anymore - there's always something more than meets the eye. So if the text says that the Mahdoubt is really the spirt of Linden's murdered mother, come into the Land to atone for the horrible way she raised her daughter and forgive her for her actions, I still wouldn't trust the bare words.

And you know - as ridiculous as that theory sounds, my biggest reason to think it's not possible is still because *I thought of it.* And I can't ever guess where these stories are going - and any guess I make is sure to be wrong. Which is good in the end, since I end up being surprised by everything. :-)
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Creator: I see your point. But I think that line says that the will of the wood was what faded away, not the binding of the Elohim. Nevertheless, you could be 100% correct.

Relayer: I posted the interview link to rebutt Nerdanel's assertion that the GI was altered to remove the reference to Shadout Mapes.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

as ridiculous as that theory sounds, my biggest reason to think it's not possible is still because *I thought of it.*
:lol:
Exactly how I view my theories...
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Spoiler
Correct me ( and Im sure you will) if Im wrong, isnt the Mahdoubt an insequent , and dont they hate the Elohim.
Wide Eyed Stupid
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Something Broken, please notice what forum you are in when you post (it's at the top of the page) and stop revealing what are spoilers in that forum. Note that you can go back and edit your post after you post it.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

All I can say is I have my doubts.. and too many spoilers will be the ruins of the thread.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”