*sigh* this quote from SRD....

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Hellbinder
Servant of the Land

*sigh* this quote from SRD....

Post by Hellbinder »

Makes me realize that i dont get this story at all. And further i dont think any of you do either... :biggrin:
There's nothing spoiler-ish about your "schedule" question; but I'm sure I've already answered in somewhere in the GI. By personality, I'm the kind of guy who needs a routine. In addition, I'm a "tortoise" rather than a "hare": I'm inclined to think that "slow and steady" produces good work more reliably than "fast and furious". (I am, however, well aware that every writer is different.) So I'm very methodical, both in how I write, and in how I organize my writing time.

"Fatal Revenant" certainly conveys the impression that some POV juggling will become inevitable--if it isn't already. But my feelings about that may be very different than yours. *I* haven't missed Covenant, a) because he's dead, and b) because I'm so in love with Linden. (And c) because I'm SO tired of hearing readers complain about her. <rueful smile>) In addition--as you've suggested--I always find juggling POVs to be very challenging. NOT, strangely, in the first "Covenant" trilogy: there every POV felt to me like an extension of Covenant's. But here: well, it's huge. Personally, I haven't actually spent much time observing all of history simultaneously; so I can only guess at the stresses this might exert on the observer.

(01/21/2008)
If the author is not missing the main character of the series then we are truely in for a wild ride. I dont think any of our assumptions are correct.
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

MORE IMPORTANTLY, he just revealed that TC does in fact still maintain all the knowledge he had as Timewarden. The POV thing is an issue (in part) because of TC's ability to observe all of time simultaneously.
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Seppi2112 wrote:MORE IMPORTANTLY, he just revealed that TC does in fact still maintain all the knowledge he had as Timewarden. The POV thing is an issue (in part) because of TC's ability to observe all of time simultaneously.
Does he say that? He said he'd have problem predicting how it affected his character. That doesn't mean the knowledge that caused these effects is still in him once he became an ordinary mortal once more.
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

This thread reminds me of something very important, the only P.O.V. that determines my interest, is mine. ;)
Wide Eyed Stupid
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

SRD has said that POV should be from someone, like the reader, who is seraching or learning something (paraphrasing) ... to have a POV from TC would be unsatisfying to SRD because he does KNOW too much for a reader to view from his POV.

And, hey, let's not bitch too much .. it's SRD's story... he constructed and constructs it in a manner that makes sense to the story he feels he needs to tell. So if he doesn't "miss" TC the same way some readers do .. tough.

:)
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Hellbinder
Servant of the Land

Post by Hellbinder »

The "problem" if there is one. Is that most if not all of us were hoping to get TC back into the srtory and that he would indeed take it back over and finish what he started.

Instead what we find out is that frm srd's pov TC is a done deal. fini.

We also learn that he really likes LA and that obviouosly from his POV she is not an anti hero, or a bad guy, or a land waster. She is the hero of the story.

What i have learned from reading that thread at SRD.com is that 25 years have changed the guy a lot. He no longer views the story in the same way we all do.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Hellbinder wrote:The "problem" if there is one. Is that most if not all of us were hoping to get TC back into the srtory and that he would indeed take it back over and finish what he started.

We also learn that he really likes LA and that obviouosly from his POV she is not an anti hero, or a bad guy, or a land waster. She is the hero of the story.

I'm not entirely sure I'd translate what SRD wrote that way.

And I would suggest that one can still "love" an anti-hero. Covenant was an anti-hero and yet the majority of readers "love" him. SRD said he "loved" Linden. He didn't say that she had no faults. Love, in my mind, doesn't necessarily require the bond between two people that are perfect. It's all about accepting people as they are, faults and all. So: I would suggest loving Linden (anti-hero or not) is quite possible.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Seareach wrote:
Hellbinder wrote:The "problem" if there is one. Is that most if not all of us were hoping to get TC back into the srtory and that he would indeed take it back over and finish what he started.

I'm not entirely sure I'd translate what SRD wrote that way.

And I would suggest that one can still "love" an anti-hero. Covenant was an anti-hero and yet the majority of readers "love" him. SRD said he "loved" Linden. He didn't say that she had no faults. Love, in my mind, doesn't necessarily require the bond between two people that are perfect. It's all about accepting people as they are, faults and all. So: I would suggest loving Linden (anti-hero or not) is quite possible.

Sea...you are not only the cat's pajamas, but also his ascot n' smokng jacket.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

A Gunslinger wrote:Sea...you are not only the cat's pajamas, but also his ascot n' smokng jacket.
Awh...thanks Guns! :D
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Marie Antoinette was quoted, and then they cut her head off, if she had just dropped the cake part, and said Let them eat, they would have made her a saint.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Huh?
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

It's a tribute, methinks.
B&
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

What i have learned from reading that thread at SRD.com is that 25 years have changed the guy a lot. He no longer views the story in the same way we all do.
I also agree with Seareach on this one, and strongly (but kindly) disagree with the statement that SRD no longer views the story the same way we all do....
I love what has gone before. LOVE IT. I am a complete and utter fan of the first two crons, but this is a different time and different story. TC is not "done" but he is not lokely going to be a POV character and the struggle (inernal as well as external) will be worn heavily by Linden.
I too have come to love this character, just as I love TC as a character, but SRD, in his wisdom, has decided that it is time for Linden to be the focus. And it should not come as a surprise ... first series is all TC; second one is both Linden and TC; thrid one is Linden.
As much as TC is a great character, I think it would be a bit of a cop out (considering who he is right now) to have him the CENTRAL character.
But let's not fool ourselves ... TC is still "THE MAN"... he is the legendary hero that everyone looks up to and whom Linden aspires to be like (in action and result). She loves and admires the man to death (slight pun there) ...
What will occur in the next two books is only going to be more explosive, dynamic, exciting and all those other movie-blurb adjectives ...

:)

I'm strapped in and ready for the ride....! :biggrin:
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Re: *sigh* this quote from SRD....

Post by lurch »

Hellbinder wrote:Makes me realize that i dont get this story at all. And further i dont think any of you do either... :biggrin:
There's nothing spoiler-ish about your "schedule" question; but I'm sure I've already answered in somewhere in the GI. By personality, I'm the kind of guy who needs a routine. In addition, I'm a "tortoise" rather than a "hare": I'm inclined to think that "slow and steady" produces good work more reliably than "fast and furious". (I am, however, well aware that every writer is different.) So I'm very methodical, both in how I write, and in how I organize my writing time.

"Fatal Revenant" certainly conveys the impression that some POV juggling will become inevitable--if it isn't already. But my feelings about that may be very different than yours. *I* haven't missed Covenant, a) because he's dead, and b) because I'm so in love with Linden. (And c) because I'm SO tired of hearing readers complain about her. <rueful smile>) In addition--as you've suggested--I always find juggling POVs to be very challenging. NOT, strangely, in the first "Covenant" trilogy: there every POV felt to me like an extension of Covenant's. But here: well, it's huge. Personally, I haven't actually spent much time observing all of history simultaneously; so I can only guess at the stresses this might exert on the observer.

(01/21/2008)
If the author is not missing the main character of the series then we are truely in for a wild ride. I dont think any of our assumptions are correct.
Wait a minute...two books into the story,,,and there is an assumption that this story is about TC..??? and then.. the realization that the TC that is in the Story,,,isn't..????...What part of these two books of the series hasn't been a wild ride?....Sorry for my attitude..well..not really...but, whats this " WE "stuff white man?..Assumptions??? The whole first section of FR is about assumptions and how they get you..fouled up. Linden as center of story has been obvious. And by the time this story is finished,,it will become obvious , even to the Linden haters..that the story has to have a female Lead...
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Seppi2112 wrote:MORE IMPORTANTLY, he just revealed that TC does in fact still maintain all the knowledge he had as Timewarden. The POV thing is an issue (in part) because of TC's ability to observe all of time simultaneously.

Nice catch!
I agree.
:Hail: :thumbsup:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Khazduk
Woodhelvennin

Post by Khazduk »

Maybe I've spent too many slow days at work delving into SRD's GI to retain some kind of personal opinion on whether Linden is the best or the worst thing that has happened to the Land - but one thing strikes me just now: SRD has always claimed that he chooses his POV character as being the one who has the most at stake in the given situation. This makes Linden the obvious choice for ROTE and FR, at least from my POV. ;)

However, if she continues to be the single POV in the last two parts too, even with TC resurrected, that raises some questions (or gives a few answers) about the nature of the Land, doesn't it? :)
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Well spoken lurch and Khazduk.
:thumbsup:
kim the unchosen
Servant of the Land

preserving the law

Post by kim the unchosen »

My theory about all this is that if TC is the timewarden but he can't prevent Foul from messing around with the natural law of the land, who can? Linden can. I just hope that somehow, someway, linden and TC end up together cuz I'm a romantic and I think TC deserves love after being dead for 3000 years! TC upholds time and LA upholds the laws-foul's hands are effectively tied.
Just a thought-guess we will be speculating for the next two years. :? :?
"Never the less"
Starkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Starkin »

Seareach wrote: And I would suggest that one can still "love" an anti-hero. Covenant was an anti-hero and yet the majority of readers "love" him. SRD said he "loved" Linden. He didn't say that she had no faults. Love, in my mind, doesn't necessarily require the bond between two people that are perfect. It's all about accepting people as they are, faults and all. So: I would suggest loving Linden (anti-hero or not) is quite possible.
Thank you, Seareach! :D
"Ah, my daughter, do not fear. You will not fail, however he may assail you. There is also love in the world. Be true."
sherlock_525
Ramen

Post by sherlock_525 »

POV ROTE FR AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Too many shortcuts!!!!!!!! :luke:
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone"-Al Capone

Return to “Fatal Revenant”