Caerroil Wildwood

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Unfettered One
<i>Elohim</i>

Caerroil Wildwood

Post by Unfettered One »

Some quotes from Caerroil Wildwood.
Fatal Revenant, p. 290 wrote: "I am the Land's Creator's hold," he pronounced in melody.
Later on
Fatal Revenant, p. 294 wrote: "We were formed to stand as guardians in the Creator's stead."
Ok, so how does this fit with what we know of the Creator's involvement in the Land?

Tying together several threads now, perhaps the One Tree lies within the remnant of the One Forrest during Berek's time (all forests are gone under the Sunbane, so it's not there any more) and the Creator reaching forth to help Berek create the staff may be Caerroil Wildwood doing so.

Which, if true, again makes one wonder if the new staff is the old staff? I still don't think so, but I suspect that CW "finishes" Berek's staff as well.
Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience. - Albert Einstein

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Nah, that's just Wildwood trying to sound more important than he really is. :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

This reminds me that we still dont really know what happened to Wildwood, the story just moved along without him. Still there maybe.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

It was mentioned during the seance (blood-letting, or whatever) of TWL that Wildwood, believing the Lords were capable of caring for the forests in his absence, passed on. The implication was that he died, though we don't have any more details than that.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

Rigel wrote:It was mentioned during the seance (blood-letting, or whatever) of TWL that Wildwood, believing the Lords were capable of caring for the forests in his absence, passed on. The implication was that he died, though we don't have any more details than that.
I thought he specifically chose to die because he felt he wasn't needed anymore?
B&
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

emotional leper wrote:
Rigel wrote:It was mentioned during the seance (blood-letting, or whatever) of TWL that Wildwood, believing the Lords were capable of caring for the forests in his absence, passed on. The implication was that he died, though we don't have any more details than that.
I thought he specifically chose to die because he felt he wasn't needed anymore?
If I think Rigel statement (if taken from TWL) is exact, then Caerroil Wildwood just maybe didn't die.. He may have passed to another place. Maybe he traveled to a new forest at a later date/time. :cross:

If he knew about the coming Sunbane, he could have set in motion a method where Linden along with TC would visit him. Allowing Linden to fullfill her promise by using her newly aquired power along with help from a fully knowledgeable TC to travel to Salva Gildenbourne. That forest was described as not kepted and was growing wildly. It would need a "Master" forrestal with a apprentice or two. Wildwoods idea of beauty is trees.

Would Wildwood retained the knowledge of the One Forest when it created the Colossus of the Fall? If he did, then it could be apparent what role Infelice will play.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Give the guy a rest. He worked hard for thousands of years and wanted to retire. After Covenant's first defeat of LordFoul inc. he was satisfied with the dedication the Lords showed to Forest Preservation. He had no midget of suspicion that the Sunbane would come. If he had, Garroting Deep wouldn't have disappeared. It would have resisted the sunbane just like Andalain did. Why would he forsake his beloved killer forest for some newbie baby barely 3000 years old?
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Ur Dead wrote: If I think Rigel statement (if taken from TWL) is exact
It's not exact, I was paraphrasing, from memory :)
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

I'm pretty sure that in the soothtell Covenant saw:

The New Lords being able to restore much of the One Forest.
Caerroil Wildwood being so impressed that he let himself die, feeling he was no longer needed.
The fact that the only reason the New Lords were able to do such a thing so easily and quickly is that the Law itself had been damaged by the destruction of the Staff of Law.
B&
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

Caerroil Wildwood being so impressed that he let himself die, feeling he was no longer needed.
Isn't there a bit of a contradiction here? Wildwood sounds fairly despondent about the future when Linden meets him, yet between chrons 1 and 2 he's so content that he hangs up his sceptre and shuffles off. OK, maybe he's depressed about immediate events when Linden meets him (FoulWinter v1.0, mad king killing trees, Viles and Demondim hating the forests) but he rather sounds as if he's seen the whole future and it doesn't look too cheerful.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

At that point in time, he probably couldn't imagine that the Lords would ever love or care for the forests the same way he would. Given that he's aware of his own mortality (such as it is), it's natural he would wonder about the fate of the forests after his passing.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

UrDead wrote:
Would Wildwood retained the knowledge of the One Forest when it created the Colossus of the Fall? If he did, then it could be apparent what role Infelice will play.

Do you mean that Infelice would create a new Forestal for Salva Gildenbourne, being that she is Elohim and might retain the knowledge of how the trees made the first Forestals?
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser

Return to “Fatal Revenant”