If the Law of Time is Broken, but the Arch is not...

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

rdhopeca
The Master

If the Law of Time is Broken, but the Arch is not...

Post by rdhopeca »

I caught this during my re-read of LFB as part of the Creator story by Tamarantha:
Alas! Thus the Despiser was emprisoned within Time. And thus the Creator's creation because the Despiser's world, to torment as he chose. For the very Law of Time, the principle of power which made the arch possible, worked to preserve Lord Foul, as we now call him. That Law requires that no act be undone. Desecration may not be undone -- defilement may not be recanted. It may be survived or healed, but not denied. Therefore Lord Foul has afflicted the Earth, and the Creator cannot stop him -- for it was th Creator's act which placed Despite here.
As I read this it occurred to me that if the Law of Time was broken enough, that things such as the RoD could be undone, or at least there might be some unexpected results as the Law of Time continues to crack, much as the breaking of the Law of Life allowed Covenant to win at the end of WGW.

There might be some sort of "way out" here...?
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

would it be interesting to live in a world where actions have no meaning?
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:would it be interesting to live in a world where actions have no meaning?
Covenant felt because he was living in a dream that a lot of his actions had no meaning or consequences....and that was fairly interesting...
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

rdhopeca wrote:
shadowbinding shoe wrote:would it be interesting to live in a world where actions have no meaning?
Covenant felt because he was living in a dream that a lot of his actions had no meaning or consequences....and that was fairly interesting...
The reason why he decided that what he did in the Land mattered was that they had results. Unlike in dreams, after he raped Lena, he couldn't edit the details and make her in love with him or some such. Actions had reactions and therefore they mattered. If you can go back and change the reactions, why is your action important?
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

shadowblinding shoe wrote:
If you can go back and change the reactions, why is your action important?

Well, only a brilliant storyteller could explain an answer to a question like that. Good thing we have one of those for this story. 8)
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser

Return to “Fatal Revenant”