What about Sandy?

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Unfettered One
<i>Elohim</i>

What about Sandy?

Post by Unfettered One »

I'm interested...

Donaldson mentions that she is a nurse, but she seems to have no particular ambition other than to baby-sit Jeremiah.

On the night of the summoning, when Linden calls her to come back over to watch Jeremiah so she can go to the hospital, she mentions that she was ready - already had her coat on - and she had a feeling she'd be needed.

She was also present at the summoning. We've seen evidence that everyone but her and the good Sherriff are in the Land. I don't know if the Sherriff was close enough to be translated, but Sandy was right in there among Roger, Joan, Jeremiah, and Linden.

Here's what I think happened.

The old man in the ochre robe visited Sandy in some way after Sandy left for the day and before she returned that evening.

Sandy will appear in the Land, and will be pivotal in dealing with Jeremiah in some fashion.

The Creator has only appeared to people that haven't been to the Land before, and only to people who survive their encounter. Sandy fits both criteria (being below the gunfire).

Maybe Longwrath is trying to slay her? I don't know... I just have this feeling she's important to the story.
Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience. - Albert Einstein

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Interesting thought! She could also, if Donaldson wants to save Jeremiah and/or Linden in their own world, be an explanation how they survived. She waked up immediately after Roger and the deputies fire their guns and bandage their wounds up. She has Linden's medical kit at hand. So far it had been completely useless but it appeared thematically important when it was introduced.

If I had to guess where she would be in the Land (if she is there) I'd say with Jeremiah, wherever it is he stays when not tagging after Roger. The croyel seemed to have very little interest in his physical health. He had gangrenous wounds full of infection.
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:Interesting thought! She could also, if Donaldson wants to save Jeremiah and/or Linden in their own world, be an explanation how they survived. She waked up immediately after Roger and the deputies fire their guns and bandage their wounds up. She has Linden's medical kit at hand. So far it had been completely useless but it appeared thematically important when it was introduced.

If I had to guess where she would be in the Land (if she is there) I'd say with Jeremiah, wherever it is he stays when not tagging after Roger. The croyel seemed to have very little interest in his physical health. He had gangrenous wounds full of infection.
Unfettered One, I thought this for years after runes, that Sandy might be among the people summoned to the Land. However after Fatal Revenant I was forced to resign my thoughts on that. However I always wondered on why she felt she was needed, and why she was there. A possibility is that if Jeremiah survives, Sandy would be the one to take care of him.

I never considered or connected that Sandy being a nurse and Linden's medical bag being with them. Well spotted and devised shadowbinding shoe :)

Don't forget, in FR, Linden has a dream where she's being carried off in an ambulance or some such, could be she's dreaming about what's happening in this world and there's a chance she might live.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I too thought that the Creator might have visited Sandy.

Then, when we dissected Runes, it seemed more clear that she was Roger's accomplice, if anything. Check out the dissection of the prologue chapters.
Unfettered One
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Unfettered One »

wayfriend wrote:Then, when we dissected Runes, it seemed more clear that she was Roger's accomplice, if anything. Check out the dissection of the prologue chapters.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

I thought she might have been Roger's accomplice as well, or even the "real" world representation of the croyel, but I ended up dismissing those. Roger treats her pretty badly (hit her twice with the gun) and she is practically begging Linden to go get help. She seems truly unaware of the Land during the summoning scene.

Revan, where is the ambulance dream? I'd like to read that again. Brief surrounding plot is fine if you don't know exactly where.
Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience. - Albert Einstein

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

See also Who Was Brought To The Land (Runes Forum - careful!).
Unfettered One
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Unfettered One »

Thanks wayfriend.

After reading the posts you suggested, I see that my thoughts were neither original nor unique. Sorry for posting without searching first.

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Unfettered One wrote:After reading the posts you suggested, I see that my thoughts were neither original nor unique. Sorry for posting without searching first.
I thought you would be interested in past discussions. There was nothing more implied.

And we all get bit by someone thought of it first! If I could tell you how many times ...
Sill
Woodhelvennin

Post by Sill »

Excellent thoughts on this...if it's true that she's in the land - man the land's getting crowded! Our world is really flooding the land with interesting characters - rapists, rude people, bad military commanders, and psychopaths...what's next?

There goes the neighborhood!
sherlock_525
Ramen

Post by sherlock_525 »

(banging head against keyboard) Wow! Hmm raises some interesting possiblites...
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone"-Al Capone
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

More to the point - someone else in the land that TC hasn't had sex with yet!!!

I have to admit I was happy to think that Linden, Jeremiah and Roger had no hope of surviving in the real world..

And if the Beggar in Ochre (sounds like a om Waits song) did manage to meet Sandy before she was transported to the Land (which I'm happy to believe) I don't think he would've stopped by to visit Jeremiah somehow.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

You know what would've been awesome?? If Mulder and Scully from the X-Files were translated to the Land..

You could just imagine Mulder's ambient drivelling speeches about the complexeties and interactions between both worlds, and Scully being real pretty and a complete sceptic about her percieved delusion. I don't care if she doesn't believe.. I'd still totally do her!
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
ff7hero
Servant of the Land

Post by ff7hero »

Unfettered One wrote: I thought she might have been Roger's accomplice as well, or even the "real" world representation of the croyel, but I ended up dismissing those. Roger treats her pretty badly (hit her twice with the gun) and she is practically begging Linden to go get help. She seems truly unaware of the Land during the summoning scene.
I hadn't considered the thought of Sandy being the real world representative of the Croyel, but as far as the way Roger treats her, she was still a whole lot better off than Roger's other non-Jeremiah hostage...The one he ritualistically murders...
She also seems to be a bit withdrawn from society, a trait that TC and LA shared before their first visit to The Land. In Runes it says she sometimes dates the son of the man Jeremiah "works" for, but the description struck me as very similar to the description of LA's romances in The Wounded Land.
I don't have my books with me, so I can't verify this...
<i>No ordinary fire can harm me. But the pain - the pain teaches many things.</i>-Saltheart Foamfollower, last of the Unhomed
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

(FYI, there's some discussion about whether or not Sarah is an accomplice in the Runes dissection, and the clues -- in prologue 3 and 4, I believe.)

Return to “Fatal Revenant”