13 shows that never should've been cancelled

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

aTOMiC wrote:
Hmmm... now that I think of it it always bothered me that STNG lifted it's theme from Star Trek I. I guess I just like to complain. :-)
I've wondered, too, why they chose to recycle the ST:TMP theme instead of creating a new theme. (Not that I really minded, since I love ST:TMP, heh heh - but you knew that.)
Oh and by the way. POLICE SQUAD should never have been canceled.
Cancelling that show was a crime. Putting it in crappy time slots was a crime. I was lucky to have caught the show, because there was next to zero promotion for it by the network.

Other shows that shouldn't have been cancelled:
Ren & Stimpy
Mission: Impossible (the newer 80's version)
Masquerade
Automan
Bring 'Em Back Alive (hey, it's Tron - and he's got a moustache!)
Tales From the Gold Monkey (only because it had Decker, er, Stephen Collins)
Probe
Greatest American Hero
Remington Steele

Yes, there's a pattern there. I loved a lot of weird-concept 80's shows that nobody else watched. (Nice that you guys remember the Phoenix too.) Greatest American Hero was an exception, in that it actually did well in the ratings for a time. Remington Steele could have lasted longer if not for the brouhaha over Pierce Brosnan's interest back then to play James Bond. They just left the show's co-star Stephanie Zimbalist out in the cold.

I almost forgot: Seaquest DSV. Sure, the plots became a little far-fetched (read: incomprehensible), but I loved that ship. And it had Roy Scheider.

Speaking of incomprehensible...(heh)...I did tune into Deadwood for a little bit. I had been intimidated by its reputation, after my friend (the same who loaned me Firefly) had told me about the show's intricate writing. I could tell that the dialogue was indeed very smart, even though I had no clue what the characters were going on about. :P
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

matrixman wrote: Greatest American Hero
Ahhh, I used to love that, as a kid.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

matrixman wrote:
Other shows that shouldn't have been cancelled:
Ren & Stimpy
Greatest American Hero
Remington Steele
. . .

I almost forgot: Seaquest DSV. Sure, the plots became a little far-fetched (read: incomprehensible), but I loved that ship. And it had Roy Scheider.
I loved all of the above! How about:
Misfits of Science (remember Courtney Cox in this?) 1985-1986
The Others (tv show, not movie or people from Lost)2000
the Twilight Zone
Tales from the Dark Side
Alien Nation
Babylon 5
Max Headroom

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Ah, good ol' Max Head-r-r-r-room. Maybe the only role actor Matt Frewer will be remembered for, which is really not such a bad thing.

Tales from the Dark Side...I remember that, but it's a little confused in my mind with Tales from the Crypt.

The Twilight Zone...if you mean the original, I can't argue with that, it's an all-time classic. But I do want to say that I also enjoyed the (surprise, surprise) 80's incarnation of the show. I think it made an even bigger impression on me than the original. Very thought-provoking and creepy stories that continued to haunt my mind long after the show was gone.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I enjoyed both incarnations as well. It was a shame that either one was canceled. I still remember the intro scenes to the newer series. . . quite compelling! :D

ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

aTOMiC wrote:Oh and by the way. POLICE SQUAD should never have been canceled.
My wife and I saw an episode at one of those pre-screenings where you press the button if you liked what you were watching. Of course, when we left, my button-pushing finger was in pain, along with my belly, but it was a good pain.

We also heard that only six episodes were planned from the start, so I don't think cancelled is the right term for Police Squad. I thought the problem was Abrams/Zucker staying with a TV project since they were involved in movies.
ItisWritten
Carson Napier
Woodhelvennin

Post by Carson Napier »

Police squad was a classic, I used to love the end when they all froze....and the crims would run off and stuff. :D
"The Bloodguard do not forgive"
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Carson Napier wrote:Police squad was a classic, I used to love the end when they all froze....and the crims would run off and stuff. :D
Yeah, that totally floored me. Everything about the show was inspired parody, but having them freeze like that during the end credits...that was pure, nutty genius - the final stroke that made me swear eternal allegiance to Police Squad. And then it went off the air. :(
ItisWritten wrote:We also heard that only six episodes were planned from the start
Interesting. That's news to me.
theDespiser
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by theDespiser »

You can add Farscape and Angel to that list

I hope they never show Flash Gordon again...

I loved Brisco County Jr and Firefly(
Think on that, and be dismayed

What do you do to a man who has lost everything?

Give him back something broken

Return to “TV Shows”