Your favorite quotation !!!

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Brasidas
Giantfriend

Post by Brasidas »

'Hail, Korik!' Foamfollower said. 'To the Bloodguard I bring honour and fealty from the Giants of Seareach. These are consequential times, and in them we are proud to name the Bloodguard among our friends.'
Flatly, Korik responded, 'We are the Bloodguard."
I was looking for the first time I could remember the quote above, finally found it on p.204 of LFB, when my book fell apart! It's in 4 pieces on the floor, with all the pages come away from the spine. I've only had it since 1980. I'd call that shoddy workmanship. I want my money back!
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
Balon wrote:Man. This was my favorite:

Are you a storyteller, Thomas Covenant?
I was, once.

And you gave it up? Ah, that is as sad a tale in three words as any you might have told me. But a life without a tale is like a sea without salt.
How do you live?

I live.

Another? In two words, a story sadder than the first. Say no more -- with one word you will make me weep.
I always imagine TC saying "fine" after that.
:biggrin:
:lol:

Only he could manage that.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

My favorites are probably these two, about the same event:
"No one may be compelled to fight the Despiser. He is resisted willingly, or not at all. Unbeliever, I release you. You turn from us to save life in your own world. We will not be undone by such motives. And if darkness should fall upon us, still the beauty of the Land endures. If we are a dream - and you the dreamer - then the Land is imperishable, for you will not forget.

"Be not afraid, ur-Lord Thomas Covenant. Go in Peace."
When he was done, he looked up again. Neither Bannor nor Foamfollower met his eyes at first; in their separate ways, they appeared upset by what they had heard. But finally Bannor returned Covenant's gaze and said levelly, "A costly choice, Unbeliever. Costly. Much harm might have been averted-"

Foamfollower interrupted him. "Costly! Might!" A fierce grin stretched his lips, echoed out of his deep eyes. "A child was saved! Covenant - my friend - even reduced as I am, I can hear joy in such a choice. Your bravery - Stone and Sea! It astounds me."
Yeah, "Nom." really is great! :D

Waddley is also quite right!

"Be true." is another.

Ah, such a huge list! Let's see...
"Can you read it? Do you know what it means? I've been here three times" - four counting the brief translation during which he had refused Mhoram's summons - "but no one's ever been able to tell me what it means."

(snip)

Swallowing heavily, Pitchwife murmered, "No words. There are none. Your scant human tongue is void-" Tears spread through the creases of his face, mapping his emotion.

But the First said for him, "All tongues, Giantfriend. All tongues lack such language. There is that in the granite glory of the world's heart which may not be uttered with words. All other expression must be dumb when the pure stone speaks. And here that speech has been made manifest. Ah, my heart!" Her voice rose as if she wanted to both sing and keen. But for her also no words were adequate. Softly, she concluded, "The Giants of the Land were taught much by their loss of Home. I am humbled before them."
Korik understood this assertion and accepted it. But he did not like it. It carried echoes of other losses and griefs - deprivations and hollow places which the Haruchai had not taken into account during their sole night of extravagance. Dourly, he posted his comrades in a wide circle around the camp. Then he stood with his arms folded on his chest, gazed warily out over the grasslands and the star-path of the moon, recited his Vow through the long watch. He could not forget any detail of the last night he had spent with his wife, whose bones were already ancient in the frozen fastness of her grave. The Vow sustained him, but it was not warm.
"Forsooth," responded Pitchwife with a light chuckle. "Had this Demondim-spawn not been gifted to the ur-Lord by a Giant, I would fear he means to ravish the maidenhood of our foremast."

At that, laughter spouted from the nearby crewmembers, then spread like a kinship of humor through the rigging as his jest was repeated to those who had not heard it.
"Ah, Bannor," he sighed. "Are you so ashamed of what you were?"

Bannor cocked a white eyebrow at the question, as if it came close to the truth. "I am not shamed," he said distinctly. "But I am saddened that so many centuries were required to teach us the limits of our worth. We went too far, in pride and folly. Mortal men should not give up wives and sleep and death for any service - lest the face of failure become too abhorrent to be endured."
"Gently, my friend. He has turned his back on vengeance. Two thousand years and more of pure service were violated for him - yet he chooses not to avenge them. Such choices are not easily made. They are not easily borne. Retribution - ah, my friend, retribution is the sweetest of all dark sweet dreams."
Covenant gripped the Lord's gave, and said, "Tell me something, Mhoram. How did you get away - when that Raver caught you - near Foul's Creche?"

Mhoram answered with a conscious serenity, a refusal of dismay, which looked like danger in his gold-flecked eyes. "The Bloodguard with me were slain. But when samadhi Raver touched me, he knew me as I knew him. He was daunted."
"Amok," Amatin said, then hesitated. She seemed almost afraid of her next question. But she clenched her resolve, and spoke it. "Does the Seventh Ward contain knowledge of the Ritual of Desecration?"

"Lord, Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand."
With his new might, he gripped the krill and pulled it easily from the stone. Its edges were so sharp that when he held the knife in his hand he could see their keenness. His power protected him from the heat.

He turned to his companions with a smile that felt like a ray of sunshine on his face.

"Summon Lord Trevor," he said gladly. "I have - a knowledge of power that I wish to share with you."
He was alone against them.

He retreated to the center of the hollow, hunted swiftly around the rim for some gap or weakness in the surrounding horde. He found none. And though he sent his perceptions ranging as far as he could through the air, he discovered no sign of the Warward; if the warriors were still alive, still fighting, they were blocked from his senses by the solid force of the trap.

As he grasped the utterness of his plight, he turned inward, retreated into himself as if he were fleeing. There he looked the end of all his hopes and all his Landservice in the face, and found that its scarred, terrible visage no longer appalled him. He was a fighter, a man born to fight for the Land. As long as something for which he could fight remained, he was impervious to terror. And something did remain; while he lived, at least one flame of love for the Land still burned. He could fight for that.
“Grimmand Honninscrave.” Brinn spoke as if Sunder were not present. “The tale of which the ur-Lord speaks is known among us also. I am Brinn of the Haruchai. Of my people, here also are Cail, Stell, Harn, Ceer, and Hergrom. I give you our names in the name of a proud memory.” He met Honninscrave’s gaze. “Giant,” he concluded softly, “you are not alone.”

"Start a fire. A big one."
In wild magic, white puissance without sound, he shouted:

Come! This is the caamora! Come and be healed!
The wild magic struck pain into them, seared them the way a physical conflagration would have seared their bodies. Their forms went rigid, jaws stretched, eyes stared-specters screaming in soul-anguish. But the screaming was also laughter.

And the laughter prevailed.
Maybe that last sentence and Waddley's are the best of all. The ones that sum up all of TCTC:
There is also love in the world.

All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Yurikae
Stonedownor

Post by Yurikae »

:D ^^

excelent !
That's right , i'm a Thomas Covenant big fan .
But, strangely enough , sometimes his life resembles mine....
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

I like that a lot, and it keeps ringing in my mind. Just like Love did. Damn it, I don't need another tattoo.
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

SRD is just so damn quotable. There's so many passages to choose from, but my favourite is from the start of The Wounded Land, where Linden is about to see Joan for this first time, and is basically the premise of the Second Chronicles.
He snatched at her wrist. "Listen." His voice must have held emotion - urgency, anguish, something - but she did not hear it. "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."
Yurikae
Stonedownor

Post by Yurikae »

"You're sick. This is all sickness. It's just disease. You have some disease that rots your mind. Physiological insanity. A chemical imbalance of the brain. You don't know what you're saying. I don't believe in evil!"

Linden become the unbeliever ...

I love it !
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

"We suffice."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

"Strike a blow for me, Beloved!" -Dead Elena
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Relayer wrote:Or Covenant's classic "entrance" into the 2nd chronicles:

TC: "Damn it, if I wanted visitors, I'd post a sign!"
LA: "Aren't you supposed to ring a bell or something?"
Oh yeah! I love that one! Another favorite LA quote goes something like this:
SRD, paraphrased egregiously and shamelessly, wrote:She longed to draw close to him. But that was not what he needed. She snapped, "Are you just going to stand there and let the Despiser win?"
(okay, this one's more for the context than the quote. I have no idea what the exact quote is; but it's awesome! I don't own most of the books - it's prolly near the middle of WGW.)

As for a favorite, I'll think about it.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

i love the coolness of the haruchai 'we suffice' .. and 'melenkurion abatha!' its an 'oh my god' as well as a totem too ..
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Spoiler
Covenant's "classic entrance" to FR:"Hellfire, Linden!! Put that damn thing out!!"
Yurikae
Stonedownor

Post by Yurikae »

Skyweir wrote:i love the coolness of the haruchai 'we suffice' ..
Yes! Those two words have lot of signification ! :o
Fullmetal660
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Fullmetal660 »

"Stone and sea"

"Joy is in the ears that hear"

Classic foamfollower.
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Waddley, if you tattooed all the quote-worthy stuff from TCofTC, you'd have it between your toes and on your internal organs. The books are just full of SRD's genius. You picked a stunning quote to permanently mark your body with. But I agree that "we suffice" and "do you rave" are classics. My skewed mental wanderings tells me that "we suffice" should go in between two features on a woman's body, maybe just high enough to see above a tank top. Conversation starter? Oh, yea.
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
Yurikae
Stonedownor

Post by Yurikae »

OOoh ! I didn't expect to that !
If I able to make a tattoo about Thomas Covenant , I think I would do it !

I want the same as SRD's wife ! Lol ! ^^
Seeker of Truth
Ramen

Post by Seeker of Truth »

<sic>"That Beauty and Truth Shall not pass utterly from the Earth"...

Main reason why TC was summoned!
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

TC and Baradakas:
"Here." He proffered the staff again. "Will you not accept my gift?"

Covenant did not reply at once. He was trembling also, and he had to clench himself before he could say, without a tremor, "Why? Why do you trust me?"

The Hirebrand's eyes gleamed as if he were on the verge of tears, but he was smiling as he said, "You are a man who knows the value of beauty."
"The plural of antecdotes is not evidence."
-------------
Driving down the razor's edge between the past and the future
Turn up the music and smile
Get carried away on the songs and stories of vanished times
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

Waddley wrote:I'll give y'all one guess...

Spoiler
There is also love in the world.

But... duh :P
That one actually played a crucial role in my life in turning from despair to faith.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." Bill Hingest ("That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis)

"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

So SRD is to blame, eh?!? :evil:

;) :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”