Who's not gonna make it?

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Damack
Servant of the Land

Post by Damack »

Ur Dead wrote:Roger will bite the cryptic apple. Maybe a few of the Humbled will also. Stave is a possiblity at the end. Anele will have a total makeover. and Jerry will be lost.
I think Stave will make the ultimate sacrifice at some point. In all the Chronicles thus far, some valuable member of the Haruchai bloodline has bit the big one in the end. Donaldson is unforgiving about killing off people we've emotionally invested ourselves in and Stave seems a likely candidate to me. After all, he exiled himself from his people to follow Linden so it only seems right to me that in the end he sacrifices himself to assure Linden's/TC's success. And that seems to be the plight of all Haruchai anyway. And of course that'll make his loss that much more poignant to Linden who's relied on him so heavily thus far.

Liand will make it as he will be the new Sunder, if you will, to remake the Land and give its inhabitants their birthrights back.

Anele is toast, IMO. Only way to ease his suffering is to kill him. And seeing as how he's the "last hope of the Land", I imagine he'll experience the fate of Vain/Findail/Hile Troy where he morphs into something else to save the Land.
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

Anele may transform but to me that doesn't count. Stave and Longwrath are goin' down.
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

There's trouble a'brewing.

I believe TC said to Bhapa and Phani that the most important thing for them to do is survive.. Though I'm not sure they both need to or will..

Mahtiir(?) was told that he has to go aways further than anyone else - but also that he has to return for he will be needed... I'm thinking his end wo't come just yet.

Stave.. Probably.. But if he fails to stay alive (ah ah ah ah stayin' alive, stayin' alive) doesn't that mean that the quest he was on was unworthy? That the whole Linden thing was a waste and the Mastres were right? Though, the Humbled will all need to survive to over-rule the Voice of the Masters if that were to happen.. I'm sure they'll come 'round to his way of thinking..

Longwrath and a couple more of the Giants.. Goes without saying because we haven't gotten to know the Giants so well it doesn't really matter at this point.

Will the Land / New Land *need* both Anele and Liand? I believe Anele will survive in some form (Forestal / Rockstal - whatever) and Ido think it's necesary for Anele to live.

LA will also die..
And TC Is dead to me already.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
ParanoiA
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ParanoiA »

wayfriend wrote:Nobody's gonna make it.
I was wondering if Donaldson might try some kind of paradigm shift - like dying is making it. Perhaps the dead have actually escaped the impending doom and the solution for the characters is to put some things in place and then sacrifice themselves. I don't know...
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Oh Shit - Don't tell me this is going to end like Narnia in CS Lewis' 'The Last Battle'
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

ninjaboy wrote:Oh Shit - Don't tell me this is going to end like Narnia in CS Lewis' 'The Last Battle'
That would be a nightmare! Everyone dying in allegory, no thank you.
Although I do think the survivors will be few and far between.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
Fits
Servant of the Land

Post by Fits »

ninjaboy wrote:Oh Shit - Don't tell me this is going to end like Narnia in CS Lewis' 'The Last Battle'
I think the last Elric novel ended with the destruction of everything. Some darn sword sucking the life out of the Gods and humans.

I sincerely hope there is no Last Dark in the last book. But I expect the worst.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”