The one stone.

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Fullmetal660
<i>Elohim</i>

The one stone.

Post by Fullmetal660 »

We know that the original staff of law was created from the one tree, and linden's new one has essence of the one tree within it (vain's arm turned to wood when he touched the tree). But what of the one stone?

We know that the orcrest was part of it, as the staff is apart of the tree, but we have no info about the one stone itself.

Anyone have any thoughts or think its gonne come up in the future?
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Could be it'll be the only thing left in one piece when the Earth is shattered. Then maybe we'll finally get a good look at it.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

I think this was address in Donnelson's GI.. Maybe March or Feburary's area.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Some people have made the mistake of seeing Donaldson's work as a load of rubbish about imaginary places, but clever people like me, who talk loudly in restaurants, see this as a deliberate ambiguity, a plea for understanding in a mechanized world. The points are frozen, the Sandgorgon is dead. What is the difference? What indeed is the point? The point is frozen, the Sandgorgon is late getting to the Sandhold. The point is taken. If Starfare's Gem would spurn Lord Mhoram, the wheel deck must be our head, the Coercri our esophagus, the granite keel our left lung, the center mast our shins, the First's compartment the piece of skin at the nape of the neck and the Grieve a sleepy Elohim called Simon. The clarity is devastating. But where is the ambiguity? It's over there in a box. Donaldson is saying the Raver from the Shattered Plains when in reality he means the Forestall from Morinmoss. The Arch is the same only the time is altered. Ecce homo, ergo elk. Terry Brooks knew his sister and knew her bloody well. The point is taken, the Sandgorgon is moulting, the fluff gets up your nose. The illusion is complete; it is reality, the reality is illusion and the ambiguity is the only truth. But is the truth, as Hitchcock observes, in the box? No there isn't room, the ambiguity has put on weight. The point is taken, the Merewives are dead, the Sandgorgon stops for lunch, Foul stops at nothing, I'm having treatment and Donaldson can get knotted.
Last edited by High Lord Tolkien on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

Ah the drunk-post... at least I _hope_ that was a drunk post.

Otherwise, wow.
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
hue of fuzzpaws
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by hue of fuzzpaws »

the thing about High Lord Tolkien's thoughts on this matter is that they have an underlying structure to them, almost like trying to knit a gossamer string vest blind folded
"Let's not fight. I don't like fighting" Frostheart Grueburn
sweetbread
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by sweetbread »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Some people have made the mistake of seeing Donaldson's work as a load of rubbish about imaginary places, but clever people like me, who talk loudly in restaurants, see this as a deliberate ambiguity, a plea for understanding in a mechanized world. The points are frozen, the Sandgorgon is dead. What is the difference? What indeed is the point? The point is frozen, the Sandgorgon is late getting to the Sandhold. The point is taken. If Starfare's Gem would spurn Lord Mhoram, the wheel deck must be our head, the Coercri our esophagus, the granite keel our left lung, the center mast our shins, the First's compartment the piece of skin at the nape of the neck and the Grieve a sleepy Elohim called Simon. The clarity is devastating. But where is the ambiguity? It's over there in a box. Donaldson is saying the Raver from the Shattered Plains when in reality he means the Forestall from Morinmoss. The Arch is the same only the time is altered. Ecce homo, ergo elk. Terry Brroks knew his sister and knew her bloody well. The point is taken, the Sandgorgon is moulting, the fluff gets up your nose. The illusion is complete; it is reality, the reality is illusion and the ambiguity is the only truth. But is the truth, as Hitchcock observes, in the box? No there isn't room, the ambiguity has put on weight. The point is taken, the Merewives are dead, the Sandgorgon stops for lunch, Foul stops at nothing, I'm having treatment and Donaldson can get knotted.
Word!
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

I find this thread interesting, especially considering that I started an almost identical one several months ago. Check it out, it's at the bottom of page two of FR posts called "The One Rock."

Also, I asked SRD a question about this issue back in March, as UrDead intimated. That question and answer went like this...question:

Mr. Moore:

Steve,

I almost hate to bother you with such a trifle, but this is really bothering me at the moment. I swear to The Maker that I read this in The Illearth War recently upon a re-read, but for the life of me I can't find where I think I read it.

Does the gem of the krill originate from a piece of the One Stone? I'm almost certain mention was made of a One Stone (I remember being shocked to read it due to certain events from Fatal Revenant), but I can't find it. Maybe this reference was in connection to the orcrest that was given to Covenant in that same book? But it seems that the orcrest is the rock equivalent of the lomillialor, a descendant of the One Tree, not a piece of the original like the Staff of Law.

Can you confirm or deny this for me?

Hail,
Mr. Moore

answer:

Trees grow, mutate, have descendants. Rocks melt, fuse, get torn apart and recombined. I would hate to limit my narrative options by saying, "Yes, the gem of the krill is a piece of the One Stone [Rock, whatever: One of Something]." But surely it's fair to say that the krill's gem--and orcrest--are descended in some sense from the archetypal concept of *stone*. Like lomillialor, they express or exemplify ideas and powers larger than themselves.
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Whatever HLT is having I want some too!!
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
sweetbread
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by sweetbread »

Ur Dead wrote:Whatever HLT is having I want some too!!
High Lord Tokin'

:D
emotional leper wrote:Is bad-assness not a most puissant power, Ninjaboy?
peacemonger
Servant of the Land

Post by peacemonger »

FWIW, I really enjoyed this much more than the original Monty Python John Cleese critic's rant it was based on - and/or inspired by.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

napua wrote:FWIW, I really enjoyed this much more than the original Monty Python John Cleese critic's rant it was based on - and/or inspired by.

:thumbsup:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
sherlock_525
Ramen

Post by sherlock_525 »

I'm with Ur-Dead: Hook a dude up man!! And btw Anele said something in FR about finding the oldest or deepest stone, can't quite bring it to mind... :? ... but it was during the run thru Salvia Gildenbourn.
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone"-Al Capone
Seeker of Truth
Ramen

Post by Seeker of Truth »

napua wrote:FWIW, I really enjoyed this much more than the original Monty Python John Cleese critic's rant it was based on - and/or inspired by.
Damn!!!! beaten to it!!!!
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

There was never any reference to any "One Stone", the source of orcrest/krill gem in any of the TC books.

The books didn't really say where Loric found the materials to make the

krill either, or where he got the knowledge to do so.
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

MrKABC,

You're right about one thing, no mention was ever made about how Loric made the krill.

But there is a reference to the One Stone (or One Rock) in TIW. I don't have the book to find it again, but I know I quoted it in my thread on this same subject: "The One Rock".
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

In TIW, when Tohrm gives Covenent the piece of orcrest, he tells Covenant that it is a piece of the "One Rock." This happens in the scene where the Lords, Covenant, Troy and the Warward are preparing to leave Revelstone to go to war.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

I actually just started this here thread in 1st/2nd Chrons yesterday (3 months later)...thanks for the info peeps.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Re: The one stone.

Post by Seven Words »

Fullmetal660 wrote:We know that the original staff of law was created from the one tree, and linden's new one has essence of the one tree within it (vain's arm turned to wood when he touched the tree). But what of the one stone?

We know that the orcrest was part of it, as the staff is apart of the tree, but we have no info about the one stone itself.

Anyone have any thoughts or think its gonne come up in the future?
Actually, lomillialor is called "wood of the One Wood", related to the wood of the One Tree, as orcrest is related to the One Rock.

Maybe the peril of the Skurj is that they will desecrate the One Rock, causing a Sunbane-like effect?
Borric
Servant of the Land

Post by Borric »

The description of the font producing the earthblood sounded a lot like Orcrest to me.
Translucent rock etc.
I suspected at the time that it was close to, if not the one stone.
Maybe the pure earthblood produces it?

Return to “Fatal Revenant”