Fatal Revenant Part 1 Chapter 7 , Taking The Risk

ROTE, FR, AATE, TLD

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Fatal Revenant Part 1 Chapter 7 , Taking The Risk

Post by lurch »

Fatal Revenant, Part 1, Chapter 7. Taking the Risk

This chapter begins: " The cold seemed to speak directly to Linden: she saw its uncompromising beauty."....".Hello there Linden! Its me again.."
" wha..Oh no now what? Who?"

Its Me! I'm Cold!

Wher..wha?..Yea no kiddin!..You don't see me wearing a goose down parka!.. I'm cold too!"

No you're not ..I'm AM Cold!

Yeaa!.. gotcha the first time..got any fire? I m just as cold as you are ya know!..

aaam..You're not gettin this..Listen Linden.. I Am THE Cold!!

Are you from Frisco?

WHAT!?..ITS , SAN FRANciso,,and no I'm not!.. well, not that I haven't been there. But I Am The Cold! Here let me prove it to ya...

" Linden felt each probing finger of winter as it found its way through her garmets to touch her skin with ice"

' AAACK!!!! Keep Your frozen fingers Off Of ME, You PERVERT!! THEOMACH!! Your idea of a Path is really startin to bother me! Covenant, get over here and warm me up with some of that magic of yours..

..and You called ME a Pervert??

Okay, I just had to get that out of me.I took the Risk...It was just itchin to be let loose. And thats what SRD is doing here;.."seemed to speak directly to".. different way of saying ' feeling".. The " perception" of Cold,, as a dialogue !.a cool comment on how we perceive..How that is heard is open as the mind is to the metaphor of it. SRD is definitely expressing outside the boxness here. To express the Cold's lack of pity as uncompromising beauty,,is the very definition of Andre Breton's " MAGNIFICENCE" of the Surreal.

..And then the author turns around and describes the frozen scene in terms of more " conventional" beauty,,easier to follow and understand,," numinous glory" The sunlit crystalline untrammeled brilliance of the snow on all sides defined the contours of the hilltop as distinctly as etch-work in purest glass. I wonder if he looks at clouds too? The " L's" flow in soft alliteration over the icy scene described. He throws in the diametrically opposed for good Surreal measure.." Every slope and crest around her seemed to burn as though it were .........." afire with cold"....!!!!.." And winds had shaped and sculpted the crust as it melted and refroze repeatedly between Day and Night.; delicate dazzling whorls everywhere, sastrugi as scalloped and articulate as hieroglyphs or runes; ridges and hollows as suggestive as elaborate surface of the sea""..Now I KNOW SRD looks at the rushing clouds too!

From there its back to a Covenant still yammerin away on his version of the past, with concealed malice underlining every breath spoken half truth while in his cold indifference to Linden's physical plight...He goes on to prove himself doubtless of being a Liar. Even the Theomach is made to laff then get dead serious about TC's " justifications". Apparently TC had to demonstrate his power by banishing the Theomach providing a moment for more "propaganda", from the Illusion Masters, to be poured into Lindens head.

This " uneventful" chapter is really full of challenges. From a challenge to see things from an outside of the box perspective,, with examples provided to give the reader or dissector a " Path",,along with Linden, we begin to question everything.It is the Theomach who finally bring us and Linden to the Truth. The Illusion Master means to introduce the Two Staffs Of Law to the same Place and Time,,and thus bring down the Arch of Time and guess who is Free with no bond as a result.? There is subtle hint here of any " need" in the end, of any Staff of Law...which has already been suggested in Runes.

But that is only half of the quid /quo pro. Linden is first reminded of what her " Talent" her "realized Potential"..who she is..IS..She is a healer. The Theomach's quid is unknown at this point but he is honest enough to say its based on Pride. There is subtle hint here on these Insequent. They are like,,Muses; not the discovered themselves, but the heralds, or path makers to what is to be discovered... Mahdoubt the Muse of Love,,Theomach the Muse of ..Time and Place, or what we may call..coincidence.,,what the Surrealists called,,magnetic field lines. Oops I digress into LOSTness. But wait,,there was that little song in this chapter.." he is lost and found.."..there is that "opposites in conflict" again.

The Vizard and Harrow and who knows who else will have their chapters..But, Theomach sure does upset the Illusion Master's apple cart , wouldn't you say.? He calls Linden's " feeling Her Way" thru the morass of half truths from the Illusion Masters as " wisdom"..!!. These Insequent are a Trusting lot aren't they?. The Surreal can't be taught in Logical ways.. It can't be learned with a Logical perspective. It is unencumbered by Logic. Its about exploring the Imagination, free, in order to discover what waits for you there,, Who You Are, Your Self.Do you have a Muse you Trust?..or who Trusts You?

Interesting to note the level of " foul Language" by TC is in direct relation to his efforts being frustrated by Theomach....

..But, alas,,Linden isn't quite free. More examples are to come, and with that, more challenges to overcome.But for now,,the chapter on Risk taking,,ends with Linden on the verge of demonstrating her healing " Talent" in a conflicted reality beset by endless War. I feel for her.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
wayfriend

Re: Fatal Revenant Part 1 Chapter 7 , Taking The Risk

Post by wayfriend »

That's a humorous way to start it off, Lurch.

:?:
lurch wrote:Okay, I just had to get that out of me.I took the Risk...It was just itchin to be let loose. And thats what SRD is doing here;.."seemed to speak directly to".. different way of saying ' feeling".. The " perception" of Cold,, as a dialogue !.a cool comment on how we perceive..How that is heard is open as the mind is to the metaphor of it. SRD is definitely expressing outside the boxness here. To express the Cold's lack of pity as uncompromising beauty,,is the very definition of Andre Breton's " MAGNIFICENCE" of the Surreal.
Well... to me, the cold symbolized the truth. The cold was speaking to her, and she felt that if she listened to it, she would learn ... loveliness. And truth.
If she had known how to interpret the speech of wind and weather, she might have been able to name every avatar of the snow and cold: every flake and crystal, every self-sufficient pattern; every broken and unbreakable rumple in the cloak that covered the hillsides. The stark and brittle branches of the distant forest might have spoken to her.
But then Covenant zaps her with his negligent power, and the chance to perceive is lost. There's a metaphor in there somewhere.

lurch wrote:This " uneventful" chapter is really full of challenges.
Actually, I found it to be filled with Linden getting to ask questions, and getting answers. It's very revealing.

Even more important. In this chapter, Linden goes from questioning Covenant to outright distrust of Covenant.

What could be more brave?

To me, this says a lot about Linden's motivations. Thrusting the burden of responsibility onto Covenant is not her highest priority. No, she's seeing that Covenant isn't trustworthy, and so she's maintaining her stance, staying ready for "Taking the Risk". As the previous chapter has shown, she's doing this now because there's a chance she'll learn something to save the Land or to save Jeremiah, despite her reluctance to trust Jeremiah or Covenant.

I think the idea that Linden is trying to find a way for Covenant to take over all her burdens can be put to rest.

She could see delicate, dazzling whorls everywhere; sastrugi as scalloped and articulate as hieroglyphs or runes; ridges and hollows as suggestive as the elaborate surface of the sea.
sastrugi: ridges of snow formed on a snowfield by the action of the wind.

"Right now, you sort of are the Arch of Time. Or you represent it. You're the only one of us who's all here. Or just here. You're the only one who isn't already a walking violation of Time. So you're the only one who might be able to do things safely.
Again, the concept that Linden IS the Arch because she REPRESENTS the Arch. She stands at the place where what is done to her is done to the Arch.

"Your kid and I can keep you alive - as long as we don't attract any attention. As long as no one sees us do anything that isn't supposed to happen in this time."
Okay, some people are looking for clues as to how time travel paradoxes are handled. Here's one. Covenant seems to indicate that they have room for free action - free will. So long as they don't "attract attention" - do something noticable. There is the implication, repeated since Runes, that paradox is defined by what people become aware of.

Later on in the chapter is more of the same.
"Where my guidance is needed, I will provide it. And I will accommodate the effects of both your presence and your deeds. You need only trust in yourself-and heed my counsel."
"So Foul tried to help Berek's King by sending darkness out of Ridjeck Thome. Malice so thick it blotted out the sun. It practically broke the hearts of Berek's people And it weakened Berek himself. Almost got him killed. He's a great warrior, but when he fought the King, he'd lost a lot of his strength. That's why the King was able to beat him.

"This winter is sort of left over from losing the sun for a season or two."
Now THAT'S interesting. Foul can cover all of the land with a second darkness. Very Sauron-like.

What jumps to mind is the title of the last book of the Final Chronicles. Is this a hint of what's to come? Does it refer somehow to Foul unleashing a "nuclear winter" on the Land in the final battle?

:?: Why is the Vizard so interested in the Theomach, and imprisoning the Elohim, at the same time?
Spoiler
Is it possibly related to my theory posited in the last chapter? Will the Theomach become a "havoc", and does the Vizard seek a way to stop it?
:?: Jeremiah has not been shot!!!!

Which leads Linden to realize that Covenant is lying.
Spoiler
Yes. I know. But I point out the irony.
If she understood the rules, the Law, governing translations to the Land, Jeremiah could not be slain here while he remained alive in his proper reality. Lord Foul might torture him until his mind tore itself, but the Despiser could not kill him. Instead Jeremiah would only remain in Lord Foul's power until his summoner passed away. Then he would be released to his former life. And his body would bear no sign of what he had endured. Only his sane or shredded mind would suffer the consequences of his time in the Land.
What an astounding revelation! You can't be slain in the Land if you live in the real world?!?!?!?!

I can confidently say that Donaldson brings this up (and for the first time, I believe) because it's important to the resolution of the plot.

"Lady, we loathe the Elohim for their arrogance, and for their ease. Every other being that strides the Earth must strive for knowledge and power sedulously, at great cost."
sedulously: constant; tirelessly; assiduously.

:?: The Theomach says, "He holds the Staff of Law. The first Staff, of which yours is but an unfinished semblance."

Again, an indication that the new Staff of Law is unfinished. Obviously, Linden will need to finish it.

"Hell and blood," Covenant muttered at her back. "How did the two of you become such buddies? I'm the one who's trying to save the damn world."

"There is your error," replied the Theomach over his shoulder. "You aim too high. The Earth is too wide and rife with mystery to be saved or damned by such as you."
Spoiler
The Theomach throws out a clue. The repetition of the save or damn verse in the next paragraph slams the clue home.
lurch wrote:..But, alas,,Linden isn't quite free. More examples are to come, and with that, more challenges to overcome.But for now,,the chapter on Risk taking,,ends with Linden on the verge of demonstrating her healing " Talent" in a conflicted reality beset by endless War. I feel for her.
Yes. Linden exercising her talent on such a major scale evokes quite a bit. She is compelled. And her compulsion opens a door. I have no doubt the Theomach had foreseen as much.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Fascinating " play" the author has Linden go thru;..the more she realizes the Truth of the Illusion,, distances her self from it,,,the more she realizes Other Truths with her new found surreal " wisdom"...Theomach's " Path".
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

lurch wrote:Fascinating " play" the author has Linden go thru;..the more she realizes the Truth of the Illusion,, distances her self from it,,,the more she realizes Other Truths with her new found surreal " wisdom"...Theomach's " Path".
Lurch, after the teasing I gave you about surrealism in another thread, I have to say that's a f*cking cool point. The truth of the illusion. I hope I understand you correctly when I see layers of meaning in that phrase, both the literal and the ironic. The appearance of reality--and the reality of appearance. Reality in appearance, as a counterpart to the deception (which is also in) appearance.

I don't believe SRD for one minute when he says that the question of the Land's reality is a forgotten issue. Perhaps he's right that it's no longer a literal question, not one answered in terms of ontology. But it's still relevant in phenomenological terms, in terms of a comment on our our paradoxical duality. The inability to state our existential condition in literal, logically consistent terms (which, if I understand correctly, is an important element of surrealism).

I don't mean to slight the other comments you and Wayfriend made. Honestly, I haven't reread this chapter yet. I'll get on that and hopefully have more to say. (Damnit, I still had intended to say more about the end of my last chapter . . . haven't got around to that either).
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

There has never been any doubt in my mind that the Land is " interior landscape"..so Linden as Arch of Time..is not a mystery to me.

Yes,, the belief that the individual's answer to " Who Am I?" cannot be answered within the parameters of " Logic" is a key to understanding Surrealism.

I will repeat for any and all something posted a ways back: The Surreal " formula",,at its simplest and basic,,is,,Truth can not be found in the polar opposites,, as in Black/ White,,Hot/ Cold,,Left/ Right,, Right/ Wrong.. etc etc etc. But, by observing the conflict,,(interior or exterior,, or between the interior and exterior) the interfacing of the polar opposites,,one can be inspired, motivated, to Rise above the conflicting, into the Supra Reality, the Sur-Real of unencumbered Imagination, to discover a Resolving of the conflict.,, a Truth of the individual so involved.

So..the Truth,,,the uncompromising Beauty, with no Pity, is the magnificence of the Landscape sculpted by the polar opposites of melt and refroze, day and night, etc. Here is the metaphor,,.As is that perception of the landscape, is Linden with her perception of the TC/Jeremiah magic show..the Truth is with out Pity. With out Pity isn't cheap and she has been paying all along, but she's in for some serious cash flow very soon...

Surrealism is a state of mind..a way of perceiving..hence, even what you and I could agree on to being " tragic" or " disaster"...is still " magnificent" from the Surreal point of view. Way brought up " Brave"..Yeeaauup!,,gettin into the Surreal.. is a brave act. The unencumbered Imagination is Mystery,, is the Unknown...the last dark indeed.
pg4 TLD
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

I haven't had a chance to re-read either... I listened to it the other day in the car but can't take notes or remember as much.

But yes, Lurch, the play between the opposites, in it's way a mirror of TC's paradox in the First Chrons... where the the "answer" lies between, or more accurately, *beyond* the poles of the dilemma. Even Truth and Lies... everyone is telling Linden so many different things, and she has now realized that some are lies. But really, which? And what does that mean about the interpretations and assumptions she's made from what she's been told? Much of what she sees as "fact" is no more than a prepared illusion.

She, and therefore, we, are being asked to look beyond the surface which like the sastrugi, is always changing and therefore not reliable. We're even reminded of that by the fact that every step that Linden takes breaks through the crust of the surface and causes Linden to "flounder." Only when the Theomach offers to assist her does she have "solid footing."
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Another thing I just remembered...

In the middle are talking w/ the Theomach, Linden inexplicably says "Are we having fun yet?" ... the first time I read it, that line just stood out like "wtf is that doing in the middle of a Donaldson novel?" The narrative even pauses in order for Linden to say it.

But when I heard it the other day, I thought, where did that line come from? Zippy!! The Clown Prince of verbal non-sequiturs and the surreal. I'd thought SRD was just having a brain fart and used a line from pop culture... but now I see it as another hint to what's going on.

Expect Linden to say "Yow!" at some point soon... :)

AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

Relayer wrote:In the middle are talking w/ the Theomach, Linden inexplicably says "Are we having fun yet?" ... the first time I read it, that line just stood out like "wtf is that doing in the middle of a Donaldson novel?" ... but now I see it as another hint to what's going on.
Upon first reading it I found this odd as well. My first take on it was more of a writing style change by SRD but perhaps it could have significance later. In a similar vein I was likewise somewhat put off by the swearing. I am no prude and was certainly not offended in any way I just don't like it in the story for some reason. Not to go off topic but does anyone recall any swearing in the first six books that I am just not remembering? I only ask because I am wondering if there is some significance to this as well.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I know the line is Ziggy's but I really didn't notice it because IMO it's part of the culture now. Who sees Santa in a red suit and thinks of Coca Cola any more?

All this surrealism stuff is going over my head. Maybe someone spell it out more clearly. I may be the only one to admit it, but I bet I'm not the only one to think it.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

I guess it's just so out of context to me, in a world where the narrative style is grandiose, where normal people say things like "I will abide..." (to borrow from your sig ;-) ) and where none of the 'real world' characters have ever been mentioned having any interest in pop culture, to have a phrase like that in there. It's as if she'd thought "Beam me up, Scotty" when she was translated back in time.

AjK
The Gap Into Spam

Post by AjK »

Yes, I see it pretty much as Relayer does. Also regarding the swearing (I am fixating here, I know) I think I understand why one character does it. I won't say who or why to avoid spoilers*. It seems out of character for Linden, though. Further, swearing is a cultural thing so it is one thing for her to swear to herself but another altogether to start swearing in conversation with natives of the Land since it is unlikely (I guess) that they know what the term "sh*t" means.

* I must confess I am unsure of the criteria by which spoilers are censored in the FR discussion forum so I have to back and try to find the groundrules on this. Until I do I am going to error on the side of caution. :)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Andy Kalish wrote:* I must confess I am unsure of the criteria by which spoilers are censored in the FR discussion forum so I have to back and try to find the groundrules on this. Until I do I am going to error on the side of caution. :)
Essentially: don't reveal anything that happens AFTER this chapter. Use Spoiler tags if you must mention something later in FR. If you mention something that happens in the next book, use spoiler tags AND a warning.
AjK
The Gap Into Spam

Post by AjK »

Thanks, wayfriend. Much appreciated!
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

..i think if one thinks in terms of...State of Mind..then the swearing is just a reflection of the characters State of Mind..and that is another Feel of the Surreal.

An example: Surrealism is often related to 'Dream Like'..
The relation between the Surreal and the Dream world is in the Freedom ofthe Mind..The Surreal trys to experience the same freedom of mind as he or she does when in the dream state. ..well its goal anyway. That is not to say that freely exploring ones Imagination is like a dream experience tho. I can be,,but doesn't have to be. Like Dreams..the surreal is a Personal experience and I can't tell You what you should be getting out of the Surreal state of mind. I can only tell you how to get there. Once there, its all YOU and Yours...

Don't over think it. Its alot simpler than It seems. Its just different thats all. Look for the opposites in conflict and a 3 rd reality or choice manifested as a result of the conflict..usually from a Imaginative source,,rather than a logical source.

And yea,, that line,, are we having fun yet?..a slite superiority shown there by linden..as in,,in show of disregard for the BS being shoveled by TC..Any way.. yes, a " juxtaposition of the Incongruant"..something totally out of place within the presented frame of contex..is indeed a " means,, a Tool,,to jar the brain out of mundane perceiving and make it ask,,what the heck is going on here?..It is a regular used motif of the Surrealists...

are we Having Fun yet?..well,,that is a subtle point...experiencing the Surreal is more fun than beating ones head against the wall of frustration, despair, etc etc etc..Its about creating a future for oneself from what one finds in his or hers imagination..Creating!
pg4 TLD
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Well, as with the last book, I have procrastinated. It looks like the discussion is dying off. Summer has intervened. Heck, I've even put 10 pounds back on. My discipline has gone to crap.

Time to turn that around. Now it's time to catch up with the rest of you. I did it last time, I can do it again. :)
Wayfriend wrote: Again, the concept that Linden IS the Arch because she REPRESENTS the Arch. She stands at the place where what is done to her is done to the Arch.
That makes sense because of the kind of place they are in. As Donaldson has said before, they are in a fantasy world which externalizes their internal characteristics. They are already in a place where figurative representation has a causal role in the plot and in the Land, as archetypal characters. Now it seems Donaldson is turning that relationship inside out—or exposing complication that was always there. Previously, the figurative-literal relationship went outward. But now, instead of Foul representing something inside Linden personally, Linden is representing something personally that exists “externally” in the Land’s world: the Arch. Donaldson is turning this relationship “inside-out” by imparting causal power to that figurative-literal relationship.

Wayfriend wrote:So long as they don't "attract attention" - do something noticable. There is the implication, repeated since Runes, that paradox is defined by what people become aware of.
This stuck out to me, too. It made me think of quantum mechanics, and how the proxy wave of probability is collapsed into actuality by consciousness. But I don’t think Donaldson is talking about science here, based on past GI posts and the nature of fantasy.

The events of the Land can be altered . . . as long as people’s knowledge doesn’t change in a way that causes ripple effects in the knowledge and the actions of people to come. It seems he is saying that changes made “off-stage,” out of view of the audience of minds, might as well not have happened. It will have no measurable effect on their reality. And their reality is the only one that matters.

I don’t think he’s proposing a theory of our world . . . that would be like a scientific theory, and again, he’s not doing that. If he’s talking about our world on any level, it is in how his story is a reflection of what it means to be human. We are creatures of time not only in the physical sense, but in the experiential sense. Our experience is fundamentally temporal. We are conscious of ourselves as in a nexus of accumulating memories and passing expectations. Our experience is fundamentally comprised of this experiential structure. Every action, decision, thought, or feeling, is experienced within the context of this forward-looking-with-a-view-from-the-past. That’s not how we decide to experience things. It’s not an effect of how we direct our attention. Rather, it is impossible to direct our attention in a way that is not temporally structured in this way. Experience itself is impossible if it doesn’t have this temporal composition.

So the danger (if one wants to retain a meaningful connect to the world) is to become inauthentic with one’s relation to time. This is the paradox of distorting the Land’s memories. This is why it is important that “what people become aware of” remains consistent.

Before his summoning, Jeremiah lived in a world that was inauthentic towards time; he said that he went back and forth through periods. We can have an experience like this, too, when we dream. Jeremiah never knew or had control over when he was in the Land. And we also do not have control over the flow of our dreams—usually. (There is lucid dreaming . . . ) But choosing is hard within a dream, as Jeremiah said of his pre-summoning period in this chapter.
Donaldson wrote: "I told you I've been here a lot, I mean, in the Land. And around the Earth. Sort of disembodied, like a ghost. Most of the time, I didn't choose where I was. Choosing is hard. And I never knew when I was. . . .
Imagine that everyone is dreaming a world. Your actions would have no effect as long as this dream isn’t disturbed. People's collective knowledge of the world is more important than the world itself . . . or perhaps that *is* the world.
Wayfriend wrote:What an astounding revelation! You can't be slain in the Land if you live in the real world?!?!?!?!

I can confidently say that Donaldson brings this up (and for the first time, I believe) because it's important to the resolution of the plot.
That stood out to me, too.
Donaldson wrote:If he returned to his natural world, a mental cripple, she would not be there to care for him. He would be lost to her forever. That was the lie. Covenant had said that he'll still be trapped wherever Foul has him, but Jeremiah would not be, he would not. He'll still need rescuing. Yet surely Covenant knew that Joan's death would release the boy?
But Donaldson is leaving something out here, too. Similar to Covenant. What about this boy being sent back, only to die of exposure on the rock alone? He will still be trapped, not freed by Joan's death. He'll still be lost like he was before going to the Land. And Linden won't be able to help him. His mind will always be stuck in the Land as long as the Land persists. . . Does Linden end up destroying the Land so that Jeremiah can escape this mental prison in the real world? Is that the only way to free him on the outside? I know--far fetched. But her fundamental task in this series is to free Jeremiah. If freeing him from the Land doesn't free him from Foul, what else could? Foul has to end. Or the Land has to end. Or perhaps Foul being trapped is the point. It's not coincidence that this concept involves the deepest dangers of this series.

We learn that the Vizard wants Jeremiah to do some trapping. Does this "trapping people" remind you of anyone else? Trapping the Elohim, trapping Foul . . . aren’t they already trapped, from the perspective of the Creator? Why does the Vizard want Jeremiah to perform an analogous role??
Lurch wrote: Truth can not be found in the polar opposites,, as in Black/ White,,Hot/ Cold,,Left/ Right,, Right/ Wrong.. etc etc etc. But, by observing the conflict,,(interior or exterior,, or between the interior and exterior) the interfacing of the polar opposites,,one can be inspired, motivated, to Rise above the conflicting, into the Supra Reality, the Sur-Real of unencumbered Imagination, to discover a Resolving of the conflict.,, a Truth of the individual so involved.
I agree absolutely. In fact, this is one of the conclusions of phenomenology, as well. The deeper we probe into the subject/object divide, or the self/world divide, or the mind/body divide (whichever dichotomy you choose to examine) we find that the paradox recedes into deeper paradox. But rather than undermining the reality of this existence, this realization opens up the world, puts one deeper inside it. Becoming aware of this paradox is the act of transcendence . . . a journey which is never resolved or completed.

I like your term, “interfacing of the polar opposites,” because the opposites aren’t entirely eliminated or negated in their interface. Coming to grips with paradox isn’t the same as canceling both opposing sides. It’s not mutual annihilation. Rather, it is a reorientation of one’s view of this paradox, understanding in on a “higher level,” where the apparent contradictions are seen as arising from incorrect or incomplete logical models of the previous view . . . and yet, the paradox doesn’t disappear entirely with this new view, but instead seen as arising from an even deeper paradox. The Supra-Reality, as you call it, is paradoxical too. But rather than inspiring despair, this realization can inspire hope because we can realize that though it is impossible to step out of this fractal of paradox, the fact that we can see the pattern at all is the act of transcendence.

Covenant tells Linden: Kevin didn’t fail Elena, Elena failed him. This has got to be in reference to
Spoiler
the end (either consciously on Roger’s part, or on Donaldson’s part—Roger need not know). It seems to be a reproach of Linden for raising Covenant from the dead. That's why Thomas told her to remember he is dead. Elena failed to realize despair was a weakness, that Kevin dead would be weaker. If Roger didn't intend for Linden to do all this (drink first), if he's not goading her into this action, then Donaldson is implying her future culpability indirectly. If I'm wrong, then Donaldson must be contrasting her actions at the end of this book to Elena's Earthblood Command. Either way, he is intentionally comparing the two.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

malik..i've been bothered by the same implications. There is a difference between what Linden is experiencing in the land and Elena tho.,,Linden has interfaced with the Vile ( i don't believe Elena ever did, correct me if I am wrong),,and as we see down the line of chapters, Linden has interface with these Insequent that so far as we know,,Elena never did. Perhaps if Elena had a visit or two from Mahdoubt and or Theomach,,she mite of got her head screwed on rite. Yes, I see these two Insequent as shapers of Lindens perspective.

But anyway,,the idea of Lord Foul,,ever
since Runes,,as somehow,,necessary..not banished or defeated,,but " used" by a newly reformed in perspective Linden, has seemed possible.. While not a physical defeat of His Foulness,,her transcendence would be a mental defeat of Despair..Like..to acknowledge Fouls existence but only allow him to be part of that which inspires . Put him in his place so to speak.
Spoiler
The yet to come, parable of the red flannel subtly suggests this.

The title to this section of the book and hints in Runes,,seems to be a place setting of a Table that Linden may free herself to turn. Who or What ends up serving Who ,,seems possible for a bit of Donaldson Irony.
pg4 TLD
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

This chapter addresses a problem I noted in my dissection of chapter 6, though it doesn't solve it. It only makes the problem worse.
In Ch6 Dissection, I wrote:
Donaldson wrote: Theomach: Also, I do not desire the destruction of the Earth. The peril of your chosen path I deemed too great.”
This sets up some interesting questions. Months ago, Romeo proposed that Covenant never intended to do what he later reveals
Spoiler
use the Earthblood to destroy the earth
But the Theomach actually takes that possibility seriously enough to divert Covenant. So what was Cov's original path? Why was it more dangerous than the one he goes on now? What does the Theomach actually accomplish in terms of lessening the risk of Covenant’s intentions?

As far as I remember—nothing. But it also shows that Romeo’s hunch was wrong; Covenant’s intentions, revealed to Linden in a later chapter—were indeed sincere. Otherwise Theo wouldn't have diverted him.
But now in this chapter we get an answer of sorts. Donaldson deals with this question directly, through Linden.
On page 156, Donaldson wrote:“In that case,” she went on, “can you tell me why you interfered with Covenant and Jeremiah in the first place? What was so dangerous about what they were trying to do?”

“Lady,” the Insequent answered without hesitation, “I do not consider it plausible that you would have been able to avoid High lord Damelon’s notice. From this arises the true peril. He holds the Staff of Law. The first Staff, of which yours is but an unfinished semblance.”

Surely it is plain that the simultaneous proximity in Damelon’s presence of two such implements of Eathpower would cause a convulsion of the Arch. And your own knowledge that such an event both did not and should not occur would increase the violence of the violation. You are fully aware that your Staff was created many centuries after the destruction of the Staff which Damelon Giantfriend will hold upon his approach to Melenkurion Skyweir. That awareness would sever the continuity of the Land as it exists within your own experience. It would sever the essential continuity of Time.”
So Romeo’s suggestion is still on the table
Spoiler
i.e. Covenant never intended to end the earth, but instead to provoke Linden to do what she does.
The Theomach stopped Covenant for another reason, other than the danger of Cov's own intended purpose.

Yet, a new question raises its head (as Donaldson notes):
Donaldson wrote:[Linden thinks] Why would Covenant want to take that kind of risk? What had he hoped to accomplish?
What indeed? Was he just too arrogant to recognize the danger? It seems like Donaldson would have suggested this as an explanation if so, rather than building on the mystery.

Complicating the matter further, Donaldson suggests (through Theo) that the Elohim would have intervened before that happened, and Theo merely intervened to usurp them (because Insequent like usurping Elohim). But if that's true, then there was never any danger from two SOLs; the Elohim would have stopped Covenant. If that’s the reason Covenant brought Linden along in the first place (to prevent Elohim intervention), then why wouldn’t he suspect their intervention in this case? Linden’s presence (along with her Staff) is what creates that particular problem.

So we could conclude that Theo didn’t have to intervene, but did so for his own needs . . . until the next paragraph where SRD eliminates that possibility, too.
Donaldson wrote:[Theo] paused for a moment, then added carefully, “It is sooth that you aid my purposes. But I do not require such service. I am able to achieve what I must. I was not compelled by my own needs to thwart the Halfhand.”
Well that's good, because otherwise we’d have a time paradox: Linden would have been necessary all along for Theo’s mentorship of Berek. So Donaldson goes out of his way to make clear that she wasn’t necessary. She didn’t have to be the original cause for that particular course of history. She fulfills a role that was always going to happen anyway.

But if Theo didn’t intervene for himself, and he didn’t have to intervene because the Elohim would have intervened if he didn't, then there’s no reason for him to have intervened . . . except it makes an exciting story. All the rationalizations for this twist turn out to be insufficient, and thus seem like mere author intervention. Which makes this next line funny:
Donaldson wrote: His tone asked Linden to believe him. She heard an emotion in it which may have been sympathy or pleading.
Hah! I imagine Donaldson feeling the same way towards us: look, it doesn’t make sense. I’m doing the best I can. Humor me.

[Edit: proofreading this post, I realized that there is one answer left: the Theomach did it for pride, pure and simple. No other explanation suffices . . . yet I find this explanation disappointing. All this just to show up the Elohim? Oh well, at least it's character-driven.

One thing this does make clear, however, is that Covenant is lying to Linden. This, in addition to how he lied about Jeremiah's fate after the Earthblood, finally give Linden enough to actively distrust him.]
tonyz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by tonyz »

It's interesting that we're told that Linden's staff is an "unfinished semblance" of the original. Very suggestive.
Choiceless, you were given the power of choice. I elected you for the Land but did not compel you to serve my purpose in the Land... Only thus could I preserve the integrity of my creation.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

tonyz wrote:It's interesting that we're told that Linden's staff is an "unfinished semblance" of the original. Very suggestive.
perhaps a suggestion of Linden's "state of being" in metaphor..?
pg4 TLD
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Or the fact that, per wayfriend's post in the chapter 10 dissection thread, Linden has no Lore to imbue the staff with...

...unsure if that should be spoilered; mod do as you will...

Return to “Last Chronicles”