Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Demo

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Demo

Post by Rigel »

This is the movie that promises to put "badass" back into "Star Wars" (OK, so it was never there to begin with, but we *thought* it was when we were 4, and now it really is!).

You play Darth Vader's apprentice after Ep III, and spend your time rounding up the remaining Jedi. (I honestly don't know how difficult this could be, since DV and the Emperor managed to take out the two toughest Jedi, and the remaining ones are so weak they couldn't see a little thing like, say, the Clone Wars, or even the Emperor being a dick). There are two main things I've been looking forward to in this game:

1) Playing as a Sith apprentice
2) Objects breaking in realistic ways.

So I saw last night that the demo was out for the XBox, and I gave it a try. In reverse order:
2) The physics is basically used for doors and windows. This is actually about what I expected, though less than I hoped for. It's nice, but not nearly the gaming nirvana that the hype makes it out to be.
1) The action is actually more fun than I expected. Tossing troops around, jumping in air (though I haven't heard a justification for the double jump, other than "it kicks ass"), throwing your lightsaber, crushing enemies... it's all quite fun :)

My only real complaint is that the lightsaber doesn't slice enemies the way it did in Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy. Instead, the violence resembles the films more, where enemies just fall down.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Having resisted the urge to have a game console (I've never even had a Nintendo,) I finally bought an Xbox 360 last week JUST for this game. The demo was alot of fun and I couldn't wait to get the real game this morning. I'll add more info as I progress. So far, all I can say is the Darth Vader segment at the beginning of the game is disappointing.
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Never really been interested in Star Wars or their games but this game actually interests me, the reviews for it are really good.
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I thought the combat was a wonky version of Ninja Gaiden, and some of this Jedi apprentice's powers are ridiculous. Force lightening? Throwing objects and people at blinding speed (even Vader moved them slower, and I never saw him throwing around people like rag dolls), and floating in mid-air for several seconds slicing stuff up? Never mind the fact he holds his lightsabre backwards, which is the most emo thing of all time.
Fullmetal660
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Fullmetal660 »

Its a good game for a hack and slash but then again hack and slashes aren't usually brilliant. I do however like the storyline and the whole "secret apprentice" idea.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Lord Foul wrote:Never mind the fact he holds his lightsabre backwards, which is the most emo thing of all time.
I second that, I noticed the teeny twi'lek in The Clone Wars was doing the same thing and I do not approve (thought the film itself isn't as bad as it's made out to be).

I downloaded the demo of this and was really underwhelmed. It looks good and all, but the targetting system is really weak. I was continually pushing scenery when I wanted to hit a stormtrooper, picking up the wrong object, missing the stormtroopers when I flung the object anyway and generally faffing about and getting shot because the whole thing was so clunky. The Jedi Knight games, for my money, made a far, far better job of integrating Force powers into the game. Force Powers in Jedi Knight felt seamless and in keeping with the Star Wars universe, in TFU they are neither.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I agree that the Force powers are over the top and the targeting system and the camera sucks, but still this is a fun game. I got all the way through the end this past Saturday and the story is the best part about the game, but still it could've been so much better. George Lucas has a very weak imagination IMO.

I may go back and give KOTOR another chance. I didn't care for it the first time and gave up on it early in the game.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I played the demo on my brother's PS3 while I was at his flat the other day. It was fun, but I agree about the poor aiming. Had lots of chuckles when smashing TIE fighters with girders though.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Just curious...

Has anyone played the Wii version of this game? Or are these comments only regarding the PS3 version?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I freakin' hate the Darth Vader series at the start of the game. Vader walks around like an old grandpa, and he's not nearly as bad ass as he ought to be.

I'm also sick and tired of all of the cut scenes. Enough already!

Return to “PC & Console Games”