Movie Nostalgia and things you may covet

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Movie Nostalgia and things you may covet

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I watched Omen II tonight and I must say, I covet the cars from several of the parking scenes not the least of which is a 7O something Datsun 280 ZX and a 72 Camaro in olive green. I also covet the jacket the actress was sporting from first onscreen moment. Red and calf length with faux or possibly dyed real fur. I wants it. What do you covet from older movies?

OH! and any guys who may think about bringing back cinched pocket chinos should be shot on sight. 8O :P :biggrin:
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Hats.

I love in older movies all the men wore hats. The office is on fire, the Reds are sacking the city, and all Hell is generally breaking loose, and one guy will look to another and say, "Grab your hat, we've got to get out of here!"
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Brother Charn
Giantfriend

Post by Brother Charn »

I would really like Darth Vader's light saber from Star Wars. :)

OK, a little more seriously, I would love to have the glaive from Krull.

I've also always wanted Han Solo in carbonite as a coffee table - my wife cringes in (feigned?) embarrassment at my geekness when I mention this.

Oh, and while I'm shopping in la-la, I'd also like THE map, the one from Time Bandits.

dw
BCakaDWakaD!

- Brother Charn
"Shadows beware! The Light of Day shall find you, no matter where you lurk." - Archbeacon Davos
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Flasks. I know they still sell them, but it's not the same. Even if you had the jacket for it (which is pretty hard if you don't live up north), you can't pull out a flask of brandy and start sipping without getting weird looks. And you can't do it when you're alone or you're just an alcoholic.

Add pocket watches and pipes to that list.

And Cail, we can also start a fashion revolution. We going top hat or bowler?
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I used to love my flask, but you're right, people look at you like you're nuts when you pull one out.

I'm thinking fedoras.

BC- You are aware of this, are you not?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Flasks are for use when attending outdoor sports events in the winter.

I'm onboard with the fedoras.

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I'm totally down with men in hats. Hats are hawt Hawt HAWT!!! :biggrin:

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Especially fedoras...
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I've been saying for years that I wish fedoras would come back into style.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

We need to start a fedora revolution. Actually, hasn't Brad Pitt been spotted sporting one on several occasions? That should make it fashion friendly. :P

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:We need to start a fedora revolution. Actually, hasn't Brad Pitt been spotted sporting one on several occasions? That should make it fashion friendly. :P
Yup, but, keep in mind, K-Fed also wears Fedoras, so that might work against the "Revolution"
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

No worries. We're all cooler than K-Fed anyway.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Sorry, I can't do a fedora. They don't look right on me. You're pretty much limited to short hair and at most, a trim beard or moustache.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Nah, you can totally pull off long hair with a Fedora. I *know* I've seen a guy in the movies like this, and it wasn't that bad.

Personally, I always liked trench coats, and they go quite well with Fedoras :)
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Yes, Bogie in a trenchcoat and Fedora. What a classic movie image. 8)
Brother Charn wrote:I would really like Darth Vader's light saber from Star Wars. :)

OK, a little more seriously, I would love to have the glaive from Krull.

I've also always wanted Han Solo in carbonite as a coffee table - my wife cringes in (feigned?) embarrassment at my geekness when I mention this.

Oh, and while I'm shopping in la-la, I'd also like THE map, the one from Time Bandits.

dw
Awesome picks! I would cry with joy and envy at the sight of a Han Solo carbonite coffee table in your living room. You'd have to kill me with the glaive to stop my endless sobbing.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I've got a tshirt that has Han Solo frozen in carbonite on it.

DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

So, um, Jenn, does that mean you are volunteering to be my coffee table?
:lol:

8O

;)

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Well see..there you are..at the start of this thread I thought Maltese Falcon.. I covet the Maltese Falcon..Yes, the fake one that was the center of all the hubub of the movie..The only other thing I covet mite be one of the Fez'es that Sydney Greenstreet wore in Casablanca or whichever.

btw..you don't want to see me in a fedora...I Slay in a Fedora!
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I like Mulholland Falls for the hats, but not for the constant chain-smoking.
fall far and well Pilots!
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

The shirt is too big for me now that I have lost so much weight. I only wore it about three times. You want the shirt, DW? I would be happy to mail it to you. It's a men's large from Hot Topic. I would say I would be your coffee table but I'm too hyper to stay in one place that long.... :biggrin:

If we are coveting the big stuff I say yes, Han in carbonite would RULE as would any light saber. However the one I covet second to Han is Quint's jaw collection from Jaws. My apartment would ROCK with those on the walls. :biggrin: I would not say no to the camaro from Better Off Dead either.

Return to “Flicks”