Kevin's Watch Religious Composition (Dec. '08)

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

Which would most closely define you

Christian
33%
Jewish
No votes
Atheist
24%
Agnostic
17%
Buddhist
2%
Hindu
No votes
Muslim
No votes
Wiccan
4%
Other
20%

Total votes: 46

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Christian.
I'm the son of a preacher-man.

There are some fundimentals of Christianity that I DON'T beleive in...the largest being that I don't beleive in God the Father...or at least I don't beleive that we are made in the image of ANY diety.
I DO however beleive that Jesus walked the Earth, and was pretty much what he said he was (although I also beleive the same about Budha and Mohammud)
Chrysalis wrote:... I was brought up Christian and went to a RC school.
*would like to see some pics of Chrys in a catholic scool uniform!!*
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Jenn Zooist. Be kind to everyone and animals although some animals should be eaten. :P
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

drew wrote:
Chrysalis wrote:... I was brought up Christian and went to a RC school.
*would like to see some pics of Chrys in a catholic scool uniform!!*
*high fives drew*
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Christian - Was brought up southern Baptist but Im non-denominational Christian now.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Reformed Christian. X-agnostic. Full-fledged atheist now . . . though I still think something "magical" is going on in this universe, something that inspires religious belief in the first place. I think we might be god slowly forming. At the very least, we are the universe waking up to itself.

I use scare-quotes around "magical" because I do not believe in anything supernatural. I do, however, think that matter is a lot more strange and "mystical" than we presently believe. But even that strangeness will eventually be explicable in a scientific manner.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I'm surprised by the number of people who voted "other." Hm. I am an agnostic, by the way.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I was torn...
I still observe the traditions of the Jewish holidays, but feel my leanings towards the teachings of Jewitchery were strong enough to mark it as "other." It is grounded in kabbalah though, so I could have gone either way I guess...
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Lord Mhoram wrote:I'm surprised by the number of people who voted "other."
Same here. I'm also scratching my head for an obvious example of "other" that is eluding me.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

balon! wrote:I'm also scratching my head for an obvious example of "other" that is eluding me.
Hey Fist.
Is Taoism a religion?
I think it was at one time, but don't know if it is still considered such.

How about Shinto, balon?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Indifferent agnostic.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Menolly wrote:Hey Fist.
Is Taoism a religion?
I think it was at one time, but don't know if it is still considered such.

How about Shinto, balon?
Ahh.... yeah. Now it clicks in place.

Scientology would be another.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I selected other for reasons somewhat similar to Malik's, but not exactly. There is much not explainable now that will eventually be explained, but I have a suspicion that there are things that happen/can be done that are natural (not from god or ghosts or magic) yet non-rational. The best I've been able to explain this to myself is that they are possibilities/occurences that happen in the gaps. (like the gap between the quantum and general relativity..though this one will likely be solved) I'm a big fan of logic/reason, but I'm also hypersensitive to the fact that logic and reason have limits (a guy named Godel is on-point here..the o should have an umlaut (hah..which also should))
Anyway...when the topic comes up, I tell people I'm a mystic atheist...which makes them laugh, become irate, become confused, call me crazy, or start a conversation...all of which are acceptable outcomes.
J---------
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Jeff wrote:mystic atheist
:lol: I love it! Welcome aboard, Jeff!

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Jeff, I've posted quite a bit about Godel and the implications his famous theorem holds for consciousness. Last year I read Shadows of the Mind by Roger Penrose, in which he argued that our consciousness is non-algorithmic, and can't be produced or even simulated by a computer (at least not Turing machines . . . it will take some kind of computer that we haven't even imagined yet). Perhaps this "non-algorithmic" nature of consciousness is close to what you mean by "non-rational." That fact that we can understand Godel's Incompleteness theorem means we are doing something beyond axiomatic systems, something that no logical system can capture.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Cybrweez wrote:I hesitate to vote. The labels have different meanings to everyone. And, they may be used later to prove a point...
I do recall someone mentioning the "overwhelmingly atheist makeup of the Watch" on another thread...and I'll let it go at that :biggrin: :twisted:
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Malik23 wrote:Jeff, I've posted quite a bit about Godel and the implications his famous theorem holds for consciousness.
I'm going to have to try and track those posts down.
Last year I read Shadows of the Mind by Roger Penrose...
I haven't followed Penrose in forever...I wonder how I forgot about him...is the book as interesting as you make it sound?
Perhaps this "non-algorithmic" nature of consciousness is close to what you mean by "non-rational."
It sounds like it could be from the snippet here. I think you just gave me a new book to put on my xmas list (my lists are always entirely made up of coffee and books)

J----------
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

In principle agnostic, but voted atheist because I have actively spoken out against any religion I have met so far.
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Jeff wrote:
Malik23 wrote:Jeff, I've posted quite a bit about Godel and the implications his famous theorem holds for consciousness.
I'm going to have to try and track those posts down.
I found one thread, here, but it seems like there is another one about artificial intelligence. I started with the 4th page, because the thread drifted into this territory on that page.
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

Jedi.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

I have Faith in the Unspeakable, the Unknowable, The Mystery, because I am able to speak and know.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD

Return to “The Close”