You are one of the Unfettered. What do you study?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

[Syl]
Unfettered One

You are one of the Unfettered. What do you study?

Post by [Syl] »

Myself, I think I'd spend a lot of time studying the sky... the wind and such. It's the bastard son element of the books.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I think I would like to study the animals, like the one we first meet in Andelain... :D
Love as thou wilt.

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

I suppose if I was going to be taking up one of those roles, it'd have to be related to some power or lore, right?

'cause what I'd really like to do there would be to map the place, the towns (stonedowns, woodhelvens) etc. Get some paths and tracks and roads happening!

Maybe set up a historical library at Doriendor Corishev.

I suppose this is irrelevant, though, as it isn't lore-based, its just, as Kev Spacey says, 'stuff'.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Well, somebody has to do the "stuff", too, but I'm not sure if that would be the job of an Unfettered or a Loremaster...personally, I think I'd probably enjoy being a Loremaster more than an Unfettered. Less lonely life that way...
Love as thou wilt.

Lady Genni
Ramen

Post by Lady Genni »

From what I understand, the Unfettered Ones go off to persue some personal vision or revelation. That being said, what would I do if I were "unfettered".

Can't say that I can think of anything...guess I have no deeply personal visions or revelations...prolly why I wouldn't be one.

I'm much to practical anyway. I'd be more like the lorewardens or lords in my service to the land.

Now that would be a good topic..."How would you serve the Land?"
Lady Genni
"By the Seven...!"
Sevothtarte
Giantfriend
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature

Post by Sevothtarte »

Studying the opposite sex would be a good idea, there's definitely some information needed...

Nah, serious, I'd go for wind too, just because I love wind. But if it's beyond nature... Poetry and literature. There's no real mention of art beyond sculpturing and other 'physical' things iirc, so there's a lot to create and discover there.
Michael Giantfriend
Ramen

Post by Michael Giantfriend »

I'd probably go off and do stuff on the martial arts - learn from the Haruchai and then set up an independent training academy somewhere in the west of the central Plains, maybe a few days hard march from Revelwood...

... or I'd research the finer arts of brewing, and set up the Land's first Mead brewery...
Dag son of Dag
Ramen

Post by Dag son of Dag »

Definately something warlike, maybe finding some way to reawake the forests so they could help fighting Despite, perhaps learning the Earth to open and swallow enemy armies, something like that. But that might go against the Oath of Peace..slaughtering massive armies, no matter how evil, can`t exactly be called refraining from unnecessary evil. But still, I`d learn something that could help fight Despite.

Or the Sea! Doesn`t seem like people know too much about the Sea (at least not where I`m in the chronicles).
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The giants know much about the sea, but it seems to be more science than lore.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'd study Asperger's Syndrome, ADD, social phobias, and stuff like that, then go find and cure other Unfettered so they could come back to society. These poor folks are excrutiatingly shy and insecure around other people, to the point where they have to be hermits.

OK, I guess you can't study and experiment with these kinds of things if you don't have contact with other people. The Lords will have to figure it out.

What I'd really study is mountains/rock/earth. I'd hope to eventually be able to feel fault lines, different mineral deposits, underground water, etc. I'd be able to find things like the Illearth Stone and the EarthBlood without having ever heard of them. I'd just feel their immense power.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

What an unfettered should study? That is an easy one. :?

I would study history, or maybe even more importantly archeology. There is a lot of places in the Land that just cries out for a thorough study.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

I'd want to map the place. And introduce footy.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Landwaster wrote:I'd want to map the place. And introduce footy.
LOL :lol: pfft!! :wink: :wink:
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Um. What's footy? (And why do I have the feeling that I'll be sorry I asked?)
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

footy .. is :wink: 'football' :wink: .. more precisely .. 'Australian Rules Football' :wink:

its the most rugged game of football conceived .. man on man .. no padding, genitalia protection, nor is it contact-restricted like soccer is .. :roll: ..

its fast paced [unlike grid iron] .. its exciting [unlike soccer :wink: jk] .. hehe ..

.. exit .. stage left :wink: :twisted:
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
MokshaTuriyaSamadhi Raver

Post by MokshaTuriyaSamadhi Raver »

It's the most Electrifying Sport in Sporting Entertainment History.

Apologies to The Rock.
MokshaTuriyaSamadhi Raver

Post by MokshaTuriyaSamadhi Raver »

As for the Unfettered part of this thread which means nothing compared to footy :P

I think I'd be called towards a field of making imagination reality. Kind of positive visualisation taken to the extreme using Earthpower to fuel the translation. *I see this field as green and full of natural life, with Earthpower I shall make it so* or something akin to that, although Fire + Brimstone falling from the sky is kind of cool.... :twisted:

It'd be kind dangerous though. Desecration is only a thought away.... :P :twisted:
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Re: Footy

Post by aliantha »

Ah! Thanks for the clarification.

During an American-rules football strike about 15 years ago, ESPN filled some of their airtime by broadcasting some Australian rules football games. I remember sitting in our newsroom, howling, while watching a "footy" game on the tube, as our sports director gave an impromptu play-by-play that made it clear that *he* didn't have the first idea what was going on on the field, either....
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

If I were an unfettered one, I would study the fine art of technology. Where are the video games, cell phones and microwave ovens Eh? Computers 9:00 day one. How about socks? or baseball caps or soap?
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

If I were Unfettered? I'd study Caves, caves, and more caves.

Here on (this) Earth caves are getting trashed and seeing the wonderous beauty that can be found there .... sigh. :D
Then you see some d---wad's name spraypainted on the wall...
SIGH! :cry:

Who knows I might find ANOTHER fragment of the Illearth's stone... I do poessess one next to my keyboard.... I'll try to get a picture of it and send it along...

But yeah...caves would be my personal vision... 8O mein gott! I think it already is!!! :mrgreen:
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”