Xbox 360 harddrive upgrade

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Xbox 360 harddrive upgrade

Post by Zarathustra »

Is there an alternative to the expensive one from Microsoft? Hard drives are cheap. Why is this one so expensive? Can't I just buy a regular hard drive? I don't have the unit with me right now, so I'm not sure how it connects. Is it some proprietary connector that most hard drives for desktops don't have?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

If you don't mind mucking about with low-level software, you can "format" a regular hdd in such a way that the XBox will recognize it. However, attaching it will require you to void the XBox warranty (you have to open the case), which is a problem if you get the Red Ring of Death.

Also, you're limited to the hdd sizes that the XBox supports (20, 60 and 120). So if your HDD is larger than that, the rest of the space if wasted.

Do what I do, and don't think of it as buying a HDD. Think of it as purchasing functionality for your XBox instead, and it becomes a little easier to swallow. Then go on EBay and buy it cheap :)
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Yeah, I've thought about doing this as well as the markup on the hard drives is huge. They're basically just laptop hard drives in a plastic box with a bespoke connector.

I was thinking of buying a 120gb drive and a broken 20gb Xbox HDD, then opening up the case of the broken drive and inserting the 120gb drive instead. Unfortunately, Microsoft load each of their drives with a unique code and the 360 won't recognise it without one. It's kind of sucky, but they are selling the console at a loss so it's no surprise they're making a killing on the accessories.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.

Return to “PC & Console Games”