Best games for Wii?

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Best games for Wii?

Post by Zarathustra »

My youngest got a Wii for Christmas. What are the best games for this system?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Some of the perennial favorites:

Mario Kart Wii
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

I think any of those, especially the first three, a kid could get into.
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

The only game I've played on my brother's wii was Lego Star Wars, and it was cool, if you're into Legos and Star Wars, that is.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I just got a Wii this Christmas too for my kids so I have no idea.
I read that the Mario games mentioned above are highly rated.
I'd add Mario Kart to the list as well.
I picked up Galaxy and Smash Bros.

I don't know if it's the same as on the computer but the Lego games are great. When you "die" you just burst into legos. no violence to worry about.
And there are endless lives, you just lose your coins and can't buy new things.

The games are just like the movies and are a lot of fun (for me too).
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

We had Christmas early, for personal reasons. So he's playing Mario Galaxy right now. It's a very creative game, a nice twist on a the classic theme. The console came with Wii Sports, which is fun. I rock at tennis. :biggrin: I learned pretty fast that it's not how you swing, but when you swing.

My son loves Super Smash Bros and Lego Star Wars for the Game Cube, so those might be next on the list. Ki is so impressed, she wants to get herself a game (this coming from a lady who almost never plays any video games). I wish the graphics were hi-def, but it's still a lot of fun.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I've only played the first Smash Brothers, but the one on the Wii has got to be the most pointless brawler I've ever played. It is absolutely horrible in terms of gameplay.

And have you noticed that the games listed here are basically the same set of games that Nintendo has been selling over and over for the past two decades.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Worm of Despite
Lord

Video game sequels? No, really? A lot of those sequels have been some of the best ever, not just in video games but any artistic medium. A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario 64, Link's Awakening...these games are freaking bedrock and cornerstones of everything we've enjoyed.

I found Brawl to be the best iteration of Smash Bros., and the rest of the titles are pretty darn engaging. Mario Kart Wii isn't the best Mario Kart, and Galaxy isn't a cultural event like Super Mario Bros. 3, but if you want rock solid games look no further. Moreover, I listed those games on assumption that the buyer would want a guaranteed crowd-pleaser, as kids are not so discriminating to be bothered if it's a sequel.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Super Smash Bros. Brawl >>>>>>>>>>>> Life itself.

-jay
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

After three straight days of playing, my son's arms and shoulders are hurting bad enough that we had to give him some ibuprofen. Then I read this today:
Doctors Warn: Wii Puts 10 In Hospital a Week
Worm of Despite
Lord

...You let him play for 3 straight days, nothing but eating and sleeping between? :lol: Sorry, but getting injured while playing the Wii is either the geekiest or most devoted thing a gamer can do...
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Aside from the ones mentioned above, Rock Band and Guitar Hero games are fantastic, but if you have a PS3 or XBox360, you'd do well to buy them for those systems as Wii is a bit more stripped down of a version than on those consoles. I have a PS2 which supposedly is as stripped down as Wii, but I love the damn thing.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

The guys really do like GHIII, but I think Beorn would say his favorites were Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Lord Foul wrote:...You let him play for 3 straight days, nothing but eating and sleeping between? :lol: Sorry, but getting injured while playing the Wii is either the geekiest or most devoted thing a gamer can do...
You should see him "bowl." If he had a real ball in his hand, he would have launched it into the attic--through the drywall and insulation--100 times by now.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Beorn's entire Chr-stmas gifts consisted of games for the Wii this year. He had specifically requested Sonic Unleased and GH: World Tour, the full band kit. Both of which my father-of-love got for him. So, Hyperception and I perused the $19.99 and under rack at Target for stocking stuffers and got the following games...

Spy Games: Elevator Mission
Dragon Blade: Wrath of Fire and
Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3

Even though he wanted the ones father-of-love got him, he broke out the Dragonball Z one first. So, I think he's pleased with that one at least. :)
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Warioware: Warped
Metroid Prime: Corruption
Resident Evil 4: Wi Edition
Brawl!
Super Mario Galaxy
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

The Sports games that came with the console are pretty good.
Mario Galaxy is awesome (I wish the planets were bigger though, do they get bigger on other levels?)
Super Smash Brawl is confusing, I have no idea what I'm doing as I'm fighting. I suppose it will make more sense the more I play.

I haven't tried to import any faces from a SD card to create a Mii yet though.
Is it easy?
Do I just need a clear pic of someone's face?
Will the console software crop out the body and background in the pic?
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
sweetbread
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by sweetbread »

I've had a Wii for a couple of months now..... bought Mario Cart when I first got it. I've been rocking Mario Cart, and have currently taken 4 golds in the Mirror series. 4 more to go! =)

I just got Dance Dance Revolution for the kids (I have 3 daughters), and I must admit, it's pretty fun if you have someone else to play with.... wait till the kids go to bed, slam a little Jose, strip down to what the good Lord gave me, and shake it to a lil DDR... it's been surprisingly fun!

Mario Galaxy -> I absolutely hated it.
I've been dying to play Zelda, but haven't gotten around to buying it yet. And Metroid Prime 3 looks juicy as a steak!
emotional leper wrote:Is bad-assness not a most puissant power, Ninjaboy?
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

sweetbread wrote:wait till the kids go to bed, slam a little Jose, strip down to what the good Lord gave me, and shake it to a lil DDR... it's been surprisingly fun!
Wow, that is surprising. Not what I had in mind at all! :D

(Really, couldn't drinking Jose and getting naked make anything more fun?) :biggrin:
sweetbread
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by sweetbread »

Malik23 wrote:
(Really, couldn't drinking Jose and getting naked make anything more fun?) :biggrin:
That it does, my friend, that it does....
emotional leper wrote:Is bad-assness not a most puissant power, Ninjaboy?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Cailette loves Super Mario Galaxy and Shawn White's Snowboarding Tour with the Wii Fit.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart

Return to “PC & Console Games”