What is Bisquick??

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Brother Charn
Giantfriend

Post by Brother Charn »

The problem with Bisquick is that everything you make with it ends up tasting like you made it with Bisquick.

Mixing up your dry ingredients from scratch produces far better results.
BCakaDWakaD!

- Brother Charn
"Shadows beware! The Light of Day shall find you, no matter where you lurk." - Archbeacon Davos
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Vader wrote:
aliantha wrote:Czech dumplings are lighter than a baking-powder biscuit. My first Czech teacher said her mom would slice hers with a string, because using a knife would crush it. My mom never did that, but she usually made smaller, single-serve dumplings instead of one big one.

Here's a recipe for Czech bread dumplings and one for potato dumplings. Disclaimer: I haven't tried either recipe.
Czech dumplings (like German or Austrian ones) consists of old white bread soaked in milk, egg yolk, salt pepper, nutmeg, chopped parsley salt. You mix it and let it rest. Then beat up the egg whites until stiff and mix under the bread-egg paste. Usually you wrap them up into a clean linen towel or linen napkin so that it looks like a big sausage. You can also form balls, but be careful - if the mixture isn't rightthey will fall apart. Then you let them simmer slowly in slated water. Unwrap and cut with a string.

Leftovers taste good fried in a bit of butter.
Thanks for the hints, Vader! :) I might have to try making some at some point.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Brother Charn wrote:The problem with Bisquick is that everything you make with it ends up tasting like you made it with Bisquick.

Mixing up your dry ingredients from scratch produces far better results.
Which is another reason why I use the "bisquick substitute" when a recipe calls for Bisquick.
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

When my little sister was about 3, she called bisquick bitchquick. It was pretty funny and we had to try not to encourage it. But it's cheap and in the flour aisle. It's also the base for Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay Biscuits.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts

Return to “The Galley”