Obamisms

Archive From The 'Tank
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

wayfriend wrote:You do know that all these types of comments just say 'sour grapes' to everyone, right?
If you need to be a psychoanalyst to figure this one out, then call me Sigmund.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Actually, I laugh at blunders no matter who makes them...they're blunders, after all.
The difference with Quayle and Bush, though, is that their's were part of an ongoing pattern not only of blunders, but refusal to recognize/acknowledge them as such. And the kind of blunder makes a difference. Quayle misspelling a word...amusing, no big deal. Telling people in Latin America he'd like to speak to them in their own language, but he didn't speak Latin? Please.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Dumb stuff Democratic politicians have done:

LBJ held his beagle up by the ears and let a photog snap a picture of it. Also, he showed his appendectomy scar to a bunch of folks.

Jimmy Carter tried to beat off a killer rabbit with a canoe paddle.

Biden and the wheelchair person, yeah. Also his wife said something kind of dumb on national TV before the inauguration, altho I can't remember now what it was.

JFK boinked Marilyn Monroe. I acknowledge that this might not be considered "dumb" in some circles.

Clinton "did not have sex with" Monica Lewinsky in the Oval Office.

Dumb stuff Republican politicians have done:

Bush the Elder barfed in the Japanese PM's lap. Also, he made it clear at a campaign photo op that he didn't know how a grocery scanner worked (presumably because he had people who shopped for him).

Reagan thought trees gave off carbon monoxide. Also he announced, during a mic check before his weekly radio address one time, that the Soviets had launched missiles against us -- and somebody got it on tape.

Jerry Ford had a habit of tripping in public.

Dubya -- I don't think there's enough room here to recount all the dumb stuff Dubya did.

Dan Quayle once famously mangled the United Negro College Fund's slogan ("A mind is a terrible thing to waste") thusly: "What a waste it is to lose one's mind. How true that is." (Wait, was that Dubya?) Also, he sniggered like a schoolboy at an anatomically-correct frog figurine at a crafts market while on a goodwill tour of Central America. And yeah, the whole "potatoe" thing.

Okay? Have we been equal-opportunity enough now? :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

Ali--You didn't include an Obamaism. :lol:
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Good point, Ki! :lol: Obama -- couldn't find his way out the Oval Office. There. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Farsailer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Farsailer »

aliantha wrote:Good point, Ki! :lol: Obama -- couldn't find his way out the Oval Office. There. :lol:
And he couldn't count the number of states correctly. Nor tell us which city he was in one night... Hey, if it was fun slamming Bush for his, Obama should get equal opportunity...
A government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take everything you have.
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

We'll have to see if he provides us with the opportunities at the same rate.

(Seriously - so far, the best way we've found out here to get a laugh at Obama is to imitate him quoting silly folk - "In words that are a true today as when they were first penned by Flavor Flav...")
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Farsailer wrote:Nor tell us which city he was in one night...
Dunno if we can count that one as an Obamism -- lots of people who travel frequently have the same problem. But okay, I'll give you the "how many states in the Union" gaffe. :)

EZ Board Survivor

Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

aliantha wrote:Good point, Ki! :lol: Obama -- couldn't find his way out the Oval Office. There. :lol:
LOL! I still haven't seen the footage of this.
Farsailer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Farsailer »

aliantha wrote:
Farsailer wrote:Nor tell us which city he was in one night...
Dunno if we can count that one as an Obamism -- lots of people who travel frequently have the same problem. But okay, I'll give you the "how many states in the Union" gaffe. :)
He was live on TV, he knew he was live on TV, you'd think he'd get that one right! So I'll call it an Obamism...
A government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take everything you have.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Malik23 wrote:Yes, it is lame that Obama is yucking it up with Lauer about tabloid covers and fat pop singers while 100s of 1000s of Kentuckians are shivering in the cold without electricity (for a week, now).

If this were Bush we were talking about, the headlines would have been much different lately, something like this: "Millions Suffer Deadly Winter Storms and Power Outage While President Parties for Super Bowl."

Dare I suggest a racial component, like the libs did during Katrina? Did Obama fail to visit our state because he thinks we're all white trailer-park trash not worth interrupting his party? Maybe he thought clinging to our guns and religion could keep us warm? Luckily, I had power the entire time . . . because I have neither guns nor religion.
We were a blue state this time around dammit. He should be watching out for us!

I guess 4 inch thick ice storms just aren't as glamorous as a hurricane. None of use can seriously expect a man who's every public word and deed is scrutinized as much as the president's is can say the right thing every time. Let's cut Obama the break that libs refused to cut Bush.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

KY went for McCain.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

aliantha wrote: Jimmy Carter tried to beat off a killer rabbit with a canoe paddle.
That's because of the UFO connection. This is way off topic, and pardon the interruption, but check this out on lepufology.

You may now return to your debates.

Thank you.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

The Dreaming wrote:
Malik23 wrote:Yes, it is lame that Obama is yucking it up with Lauer about tabloid covers and fat pop singers while 100s of 1000s of Kentuckians are shivering in the cold without electricity (for a week, now).

If this were Bush we were talking about, the headlines would have been much different lately, something like this: "Millions Suffer Deadly Winter Storms and Power Outage While President Parties for Super Bowl."

Dare I suggest a racial component, like the libs did during Katrina? Did Obama fail to visit our state because he thinks we're all white trailer-park trash not worth interrupting his party? Maybe he thought clinging to our guns and religion could keep us warm? Luckily, I had power the entire time . . . because I have neither guns nor religion.

I guess 4 inch thick ice storms just aren't as glamorous as a hurricane. None of use can seriously expect a man who's every public word and deed is scrutinized as much as the president's is can say the right thing every time. Let's cut Obama the break that libs refused to cut Bush.
Or, you could just realize that 4 inches of ice just isn't a Federal Disaster to someone from, say, Chicago. (Or Portland for that matter. We had one of those storms a few years ago.) Besides, weren't you Righties blaming local Governments for not being prepared for Katrina? Or, if we were running the Federal Government like a business, we could look and see what your contribution to the pot was last year, and realize that your state had already spent theirs by the time winter rolled around...
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

The Dreaming wrote:

The ice storm has been viewed by some as the first test of FEMA's response under the Obama administration. The agency was widely criticized for its handling of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, which slammed into the Gulf Coast in August 2005.

Beshear and other state officials generally have given FEMA good reviews for the agency's response, though officials in some Western Kentucky counties have said they could use even more help.

"The coordination of relief on the local, state, and federal levels has worked well in our district, and the National Guard has been invaluable," said Rep. Ben Chandler, D-Ky.

Other members of the state's congressional delegation, including Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, also applauded the president's swift action on the disaster declarations.

The acting administrator of FEMA, Nancy Ward, was in Kentucky on Wednesday and toured areas that had been ravaged by the storm. Ward also attended Beshear's State of the Commonwealth Address, in which the governor talked about the damage from the storm and the challenge of recovering from it. Next week, U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano is expected to visit the state.

State Rep. Brent Yonts, D-Greenville, applauded Obama for acting quickly on the major disaster declaration.
A previous federal disaster declaration, signed by Obama just days after the storm struck, brought federal help to many areas hit by the storm, with equipment like generators to help run hospitals and water treatment plants.
Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

Pliss--Considering that 1/4 million people were without power for many days and many without water (in subfreezing temperatures), even someone from Chicago was able to recognize the devastation here in Ky. Actually, the Ky government (and our local government) handled the situation just fine without federal government intervention. Our governor called up the National Guard (the largest call up in Ky history) to go door-to-door in rural areas of Ky to give out food, water and assistance. The only reason why Ky asked for the disaster to be called a Federal Disaster was to receive federal money for what Ky already spent on the disaster. And when FEMA did help out, they handed out peanut butter that might have been part of the salmonella recall (thanks, FEMA). Two other differences b/w Ky and Louisiana...you didn't see a bunch of Kentuckians on national television asking for help and we took care of each other (i.e., we didn't seize the opportunity to loot, rape and shoot one another)
Last edited by Ki on Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Once again ... no president came to New England in December. (Who was president then?) Let's compare apples to apples instead of comparing apples to cow pies.
Ice storm paralyzes parts of New England
Close to a million without power
December 13, 2008

Nearly a million homes and businesses in New England are facing a weekend without electricity after a rare combination of low pressure, moist air, and cold, powerful winds produced a punishing ice storm that swept through the region yesterday, felling countless power lines and trees and closing hundreds of roads.

The storm, which has caused tens of millions of dollars in damage across the region, led Governor Deval Patrick to declare a state of emergency, allowing him to mobilize 500 members of the National Guard to help clear roads and provide support. Patrick, who estimated the cost to the state at about $7 million, said he would seek a presidential disaster declaration to make federal money available for recovery efforts.
Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

Once again, I'll say Kentuckians didn't need a president to come to our state during a disaster. We handled it fine. Sounds like New England handled too.

The point Malik was making was about the media..not the president.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo/ ... c452de228/

President Barack Obama waves and learns the door on Marine One is much shorter than he is, and bumps his head slightly, Monday, Feb 9, 2009, as he leaves for a trip to Andrews Air Force Base, Md. and then onto Elkhart, Ind. to hold a town hall meeting on the American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan.
(AP Photo/Ron Edmonds)

https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Ki wrote:
LOL! I still haven't seen the footage of this.

www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2009/ ... _door.html
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Coercri”