What's A Vain?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

What's A Vain?

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Not really.

But.

Vain seems to be able to handle an Elohim, but he was made by Demondim (who are spirits) that are never really seen (much like the Viles) in either trilogy.

Does it seem odd to you that the Demondim all the sudden show up in the second chrons and care what happens, and that they're lore was as great as the Elohim?
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Vain was made by the ur-viles, who were themselves made by the Demondim. I think he's referred to as Demondim-spawn like they are coz ur-vile spawn sounds a little strange.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Either way, I would think it was ridiculous to put a Demondim-spawn on the same power level as an Elohim?
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

The Elohim are powerful, but you can learn their secrets and control them if you have the lore. Which the ur-viles apparently had.

Vain isn't the only example of someone who can overpower an Elohim. The One Forest also succeeded at it.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Vain also represented millenia of effort on the part of the ur-viles. I think it would be very discouraging if they couldn't succeed.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Brother Charn
Giantfriend

Post by Brother Charn »

The Elohim are very powerful, but apparently they are like magpies in some respects - if the structure you build is magnetic enough, they cannot help but be drawn to it - they are expressions of Earthpower which gives them might unmatched, but at the same time their nature provides operating parameters that they cannot exceed.
Spoiler
Jeremiah's facility with structures apparently makes him some sort of meta-magician, which means he is likely capable of mazing the Elohim.
The ur-viles designed Vain to act similarly - his primary purpose was to serve as an unavoidable trap for an Elohim. While Findail did not wish to fulfill his Appointing, and he could have disavowed it, he chose not to, either out of a sense of duty or because he feared retribution by the other Elohim. This choice brought him close enough to Vain at the last that he could no longer make an escape when he wanted to - which he clearly did, since he knew it would effectively be his Doom (even for the good purpose it was, it was a Doom for him).
BCakaDWakaD!

- Brother Charn
"Shadows beware! The Light of Day shall find you, no matter where you lurk." - Archbeacon Davos
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Vain's been planned for millenium? Why? Berek's staff came from the Earthpower, then it was refound by Drool? Why would the ur-viles be working towards a new one all this time? Hadn't the RoD happened only a couple hundred years before the 1st Chrons?
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
Brother Charn
Giantfriend

Post by Brother Charn »

You forget about the large swath of time between 1st and 2nd Chrons. 1,500 years or so, right? That's the time the ur-viles took to have a change of heart and decide to make Vain.
BCakaDWakaD!

- Brother Charn
"Shadows beware! The Light of Day shall find you, no matter where you lurk." - Archbeacon Davos
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Brother Charn wrote:You forget about the large swath of time between 1st and 2nd Chrons. 1,500 years or so, right? That's the time the ur-viles took to have a change of heart and decide to make Vain.
Between the 1st and 2nd Chronicles - 3500 years past.
Same between the 2nd and 3rd Chronicles - 3500 years.

ROD to the 1st Chronicles is around 1000 years.
Time between Berek's call of the Firelions and the ROD is 3000 years.
Spoiler
In FR TC/Jermiah transport Linden 10000 years back to the time of Berek.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Brother Charn
Giantfriend

Post by Brother Charn »

Yeah.... what he said. :lol:
BCakaDWakaD!

- Brother Charn
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Good insights all.

Still, doesn't quite equal out to me.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Perhaps if you look at it this way: there is no indication Vain is as powerful in a head-on, stand up, fair fight. But imagine if every single scrap of medical knowledge we have, and every bit of research we could do, was focused on one single disease over the course of many centuries.
[not a perfect analogy, but roughly parallel]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

I like the analogy, but Vain probably fought alot more than just one Elohim when he escaped...though he was hurt, it still seems umm, a stretch to say the least...
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I see what you're saying. When I first read that scene in The One Tree, I was also puzzled by how Vain seemed to escape from the Elohim with relative ease.

But it shouldn't be forgotten that the company of the Quest - specifically the Haruchai - was there to rescue him. If the Haruchai had not jumped in to help Vain, then he may well have been lost. Vain was able to fight off dissolution in the waters of the river for a time, but it was also clearly a losing fight.

It may also have been the case that Vain got away because the Elohim simply didn't exert their full power to re-capture or eliminate Vain, for fear that it would cause harm (or more harm than was necessary) to the Quest. But I like the other answer better. Still not completely satisfactory, I suppose, but then, Donaldson never did go into detail about the "how" of it. All the Elohim's doings were behind-the-scenes, and all we saw was Vain flopping in the water.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I think the ur-viles knew that the Elohim were susceptible to certain forms of structure.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Members of the the Clave could have destroyed Vain.
Sunbane warped ur-Viles could have unmade him.
I'm sure a Sandgorgon could have busted him all up.
Vain wasn't all that powerful.
The Demondim/ur-Vile lore within him wasn't as powerful as the Elohim.
They could have destroyed him.
But the Elohim were bound by their Wuird (spelling?) not to destroy Vain.
That was the whole point of Findail's appointment.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

High Lord Tolkien wrote: But the Elohim were bound by their Wurd not to destroy Vain.
How so? I kind of got the feeling that they were bound by their Wurd not to act against they're inherent nature, whatever that is...but nothing concerning Vain himself?
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote:
High Lord Tolkien wrote: But the Elohim were bound by their Wurd not to destroy Vain.
How so? I kind of got the feeling that they were bound by their Wurd not to act against they're inherent nature, whatever that is...but nothing concerning Vain himself?

The Elohim knew Vain's purpose.
Findail was supposed to gain the ring and if that failed he was doomed to become merged with Vain.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:

The Elohim knew Vain's purpose.
Findail was supposed to gain the ring and if that failed he was doomed to become merged with Vain.
At the beginning they didn't even know who the ringwielder was until they saw for themselves.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

You're so Vain; I bet you think this thread is about you. Don't you? Don't you?

sorry. couldn't help it. I just couldnt. ;)

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”