Are the new Chonicles meeting expectations?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

I don't mind the differences. Or Linden. It's good to have new things (
Spoiler
although the insequent looked a little foreign to the story
)

It's the repeats and cliffhangerism that bother me. I felt that Donaldson simply copied some things from the old books instead of building things. A certain kitchen sink comes to mind.
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

I'm with Fist and Faith; it's like reading something from a completely different author, as if he was forced to write it a new way. After reading the first book in the Finals, I looked up and said to myself, "Say what?" I didn't understand all the praise on Amazon.com. I still don't. But SRD is a literary genius, IMHO, and I will read, and buy, all the Chrons books, even if he writes ten more. Even if they progressively get more "off track," they are at least a great vocabulary lesson. :)
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Ultimately the 3rd Chrons is not what everybody here wanted.. The story is heading to dark places (as it should, I just wish the people of the land would have some good breaks..) The narrative is different to the first 2 Chrons. There are some very poorly kept mysteries. And there is a lot of new aspects that were unexpected and some initially seem unnecessary..

But having said that, the 3rd Chrons is fantastic. The story is approaching a grand climax, you can tell something great and scary is coming. And it's still written to a really high quality, its compelling once you get into it and I found it quite a rewarding read. New charachters and the return of some old ones should ensure most fans of the series enjoy it..
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Rocksister wrote:I'm with Fist and Faith; it's like reading something from a completely different author, as if he was forced to write it a new way.
I believe that force comes from SRD himself. I think that's one of the reasons why he says he dreaded writing the Last Chrons so much, especially the last two books, because of the inner discipline required of him to write the Chrons in a new way - to not be afraid to fail.
M5Dad
Servant of the Land

Yes, even better than anticipated

Post by M5Dad »

I read the first two books of the new series, and have now gone back and am reading the entire two sets of trilogies, again...... If I had to rank them thus far, I'd put the first trilogy as number one, this new set as #2, and the second trilogy third. The new one fills in a lot of gaps. With two more books still pending, its difficult to be too critical of anywhere that he is going.

It would be easier to say more; however, that would spoil things, so I'll leave it there for now. Let's just pray that SD isn't hit by a van tomorrow. I personally was agonizing when Steven King was finishing the Gunslinger series......
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Re: Yes, even better than anticipated

Post by Menolly »

M5Dad wrote:Let's just pray that SD isn't hit by a van tomorrow. I personally was agonizing when Steven King was finishing the Gunslinger series......
Ah...
...come join the discussions...
Probot
Servant of the Land

2 thoughts...

Post by Probot »

First time, long time. Have had a blast reading Kevin's Watch for a long time, thanks everyone for keeping such a great discussion about a great author so compelling to read! Had to add 2 cents on this one. The Third Chronicles are fantastic.

First thought. Was talking about THIS discussion with a friend, and he made a point I never would have. Is it possible that all the Linden haters are as such based on her being inherently "of the people?" As a physician, her life superceeds social interaction, into a level of interaction based on need, (hers to heal, others to be healed.) Whereas Covenant is THE outcast, a life of minimal interaction, almost loathsome through time of it. He smiled at me and said, "Sound like any fantasy fiction fans?" WOW! All with a grain of salt yeah? I'm not an antisocial person, many of you are not... but the image of adults who love dragons conjures some funny things in the minds eye. Would explain some of the discontent overall with 3rd Chron, a less exclusive protagonist, less relateable to genre fans?

Also going to a rock show tonight... of an artist who is "alienating" many of his loyal fans with recent releases. As a fan, I go into each release with no expectations, and am never dissappointed. This is their art, their show. Although we read it, love it, quote it, read it again... it's still for them.

With that... I adore the Third Chron. The story telling ability is staggering at points, and the use of language immaculate. Those 2 things make it worth the ride. But the nuggets keep coming... new characters, amazing new characters! Old favorites, nods to old favorites, introductions to old favorites! Unthinkable alliances, migraines, and clarity for nagging questions that burned the day I held Runes in my hand at the bookstore, as intensely as they did the day I finished 2nd Chrons.

Be a fan of the art, the artist... and don't get me wrong... Hellfire... I've said too much.
Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

Thanks for that very thought provoking post, Probot. I think your friend may be on to something.

And before I go back into my Isolation Booth, would you mind very much sharing with us the name of the artist whose concert you'll be attending tonight?

Thanks in advance!
Meets or Exceeds International Humane Kill Standards.

Perpetual Motion or Until the Rubber Band Wears Out Motion
The_Theomach
Servant of the Land

Hell and Blood

Post by The_Theomach »

I do like the new series although it took me a while to get into it. There are some things about the writing that bother be, but I am able to get past them. Some things get a bit repetitive such as the constant use of "he/she said, like a shrug" or certain phrases get overused quite a bit
Spoiler
Hell and Blood, Hellfire, He's my son! I must save my son
But other than that I have no complaints.
The land is as colorful as ever as well as Donaldson's use of extravagant words that you would never hear in everyday use. To be truthful I have never been into fantasy novels , unless you count The Dark Tower series, but these books have totally sucked me in. Consider me converted.
Wheelwash Whitecap
Stonedownor

Post by Wheelwash Whitecap »

If you liked the others, you will most likely enjoy third chrons as well. I think it is just as well written or more so, because SRD has perfected his craft.
Life is just a candle
And a dream must give it flame.
Fountain Of Lamneth
CovenantJr
Lord

Re: 2 thoughts...

Post by CovenantJr »

Probot wrote:First thought. Was talking about THIS discussion with a friend, and he made a point I never would have. Is it possible that all the Linden haters are as such based on her being inherently "of the people?" As a physician, her life superceeds social interaction, into a level of interaction based on need, (hers to heal, others to be healed.) Whereas Covenant is THE outcast, a life of minimal interaction, almost loathsome through time of it. He smiled at me and said, "Sound like any fantasy fiction fans?" WOW! All with a grain of salt yeah? I'm not an antisocial person, many of you are not... but the image of adults who love dragons conjures some funny things in the minds eye. Would explain some of the discontent overall with 3rd Chron, a less exclusive protagonist, less relateable to genre fans?
Ha. I hate Linden because she's a spineless whiner who wants everyone to do her favours and lug her around like the useless soggy flesh sack she is. Covenant was equally self-absorbed, but at least he was belligerent rather than flaccid.

But that's a different discussion... ;)
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

danlo wrote:It's sort like Donaldson waking up after years of sleep; flexes the right side of his brain (stretches his left arm) "....oh yeah RotE: the Land, Linden, how do we get back?", flexes the left side (right arm), "...ok FR: here we are in the Land, things have changed drastically, now I'm going to throw all this stuff at you to process, but you won't really be able to make all the connections till AATE.

Now he's, finally, got the kinks out and the next two books will be brilliant. (I thought FR was great, though a tad overbearing in places (perhaps trying too hard? He'll settle down. 8) ))
Maybe he just needs to use both arms the rest of the way.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

I have no expectations, so it is easy to say SRD is exceeding them. I thought Runes was very rushed, however.
Won't say any more for spoiler issue.

I do have a thought though.
I mean, Covenant and Linden always hook up with "average" Stonedowners who have always turned out to be actually more than exceptional.
Sunder and Hollian, particularly.
But what might the Chronicles had been if Covenant had been guided to Revelstone to that Stonedowner who was the good cook. Something Slen-mate?
The ur-viles attack the Celebration of Spring, and Coventant's guide says, "Hey, keep it down, you're going to ruin my souffle!"
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
hpty603
Woodhelvennin

Post by hpty603 »

As for the 'average' Stonedowners, maybe SRD is pointing out that anybody can do extraordinary things given the right circumstances, values, and the will to help others

Linden should have quailed. His certainty was as bitter as the touch of a Raver: it should have defeated her. But it did not. How often had she heard Lord Foul or his servants prophesy destruction, attempting to impose despair? And how often had Thomas Covenant shown her that it was possible to stand upright under the weight of utter hopelessness?
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Are the new Chonicles meeting expectations?

Post by SleeplessOne »

Covenant was equally self-absorbed, but at least he was belligerent rather than flaccid.
:twisted: maybe a harsh distinction, but this comment on the chronicles two leading protagonists rings true to me - the biggest problem I've had with the last chronicles have been my failure to identify with Linden Avery in any way that I find compelling, unlike the character of Covenant.

Digressing slightly for a moment, I loved it when TC would occasion to give the people of the Land a 'story' or insight into 'the real world' - these moments would always emphasize just how alien TC was to the people of the Land, as they and the Land where to him .. e.g. the 'culture shock' story he tells Foamfollower and the story he tells at the Rock Garden of the Maerl about the optimistic leper he met in the leprosarium ... or when he pronounces that beauty in the 'real world' is called 'scenery' .. there are a couple of other moments along those lines too ...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Having read both RoTE and FR--yes, I will finally adopt the use of acronyms, which is typically not how I post--I would say that the Third Chronicles and definitely meeting my expectations.

I am a little concerned at how many enemies face the Land right now...but we are only halfway through, which means that all may not be as it seems.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Having read both RoTE and FR
:lol: You'll be LOLing, RAFOing, AATEing and IIRCing before too long!
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

My use of acronyms is limited, it seems. *shrug* Call it a personal quirk. :mrgreen:
The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”